Break-in period for Brakes? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Break-in period for Brakes?
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 3:38 PM
I just got new pads and shoes on my car today. They gave me my old pads and shoes and they were all worn right down to the metal. Luckily the rotors were still good.

Is it normal for the new brakes to feel a little stiff for a while? They seem a lot less sensitive than they used to be a month ago before they wore right down. It seems that I have to push them harder to get a decent amount of stopping power. Also, I've heard that there is a certain way that you should break in pads. Or maybe that is rotors. I don't know. Someone please enlighten me.

"I have a white car but my freind has a black car, and his car is faster than my car.
Does that mean Black cars are always faster than white cars?
But my dog is white and it beat a black dog in a race, so does that
mean that everything for dogs is opposite than for cars...........
p.s. where do you check the oil on a dog?.....i am so confused" - Nash

Re: Break-in period for Brakes?
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 5:10 PM
Did you purchase equipment different than factory?
If you went for lower quality you will notice the difference.

As for the break in period, I've never heard of such a thing for rotors/pads. What I can tell you is if you are nice with them, they will last longer.

Hope this helps

SoupMan

- and no, 'Soup' in SoupMan does not stand for Soup Up but for 'Soup' as in Lipton 'Soup'. -
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 5:16 PM
Its called seasoning the brakes. READ ME

It is a very important step. I'm suprised the guys at the shop didn't tell you to season them properly.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 5:19 PM
Actually, thats a bad read. Sorry. READ THIS INSTEAD

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 5:25 PM
Jump in, wind it up to 60, and jump on the pedal

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 5:42 PM
Thanks for the info. FYI these are AC Delco pads installed at the dealer, so they should be pretty good.

I'm just going to take it easy on my brakes for now and give them a lot of cooling time. Then over the next week I'll start using them more agressively.

"The goal here is to get the pads to make full flush contact with the rotors, as well as burn off any excess binders and oil. Pads typically can be burnished in less than 100 miles. Care must be taken though not to glaze the pads in that time. Excess heat before the pads are ready can cause the un-tempered resin to form into a glossy layer on the pads surface called glazing and greatly compromise the efficiency."

All of the websites I've seen regarding brake break-in are for racing applications, so I don't know how important it is for street pads.

"I have a white car but my freind has a black car, and his car is faster than my car.
Does that mean Black cars are always faster than white cars?
But my dog is white and it beat a black dog in a race, so does that
mean that everything for dogs is opposite than for cars...........
p.s. where do you check the oil on a dog?.....i am so confused" - Nash
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:09 PM
Interesting information. Even if I've never done so, I like the fact that documentation is available on how to season your rotors.

Aside the point, your first post says you replaced the pads and shoes. Must I assume you didn't replace the rotors? If so, this whole procedure would be of no use.

SoupMan

- and no, 'Soup' in SoupMan does not stand for Soup Up but for 'Soup' as in Lipton 'Soup'. -
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search