Gas problems? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gas problems?
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 6:50 PM
alright.. i know i read the sticky on saving gas.. But lately.. ever since i bought my car.. i'd take 35$ to fill it up.. I use 91 octane.. sometimes i put some octane booster.. And ive always noticed i would get about 217 miles per tank.. now i think its a what.. 11, 12 gallon tank? why am i getting piss ass poor gas milage? I am not per say an agressive driver, accept when racing.. but i usualy shift at the fuel efficiency points to save on gas.. but it keeps getting worse. Any ideas?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/killboxz24

Re: Gas problems?
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:03 PM
Why are you putting 91 octane in it and also octane booster. Im pretty sure you only need higher octane with higher compression. The tanks are 14 gallons. Have you checked your gas mileage? This will tell you how your car is running. In the winter my cars gas mileage goes from the usual 30-32 mpg to 26-27 mpg. The cold weather makes a big difference. Let me know what your gas mileage is.

later
Re: Gas problems?
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:39 PM
If your numbers are correct, 217 for 14 gallons, you are in serious trouble. You best bet is to fill up, go for a 1 hour drive when you need it or simply run a week of back and forth between work and home. Before you start this reset the trip meter. At the end of the week, fill up again. That will give you how many gallons you used and you divide your trip total by the gallons put in.

If you find out your gas mileage is high, maybe you can provide us with more details such as the total mileage of the car.

Other questions you must ask:
- is there a smell of gas after driving the car?
- Does the engine seem to run normal at idle?
- Do you have any fuel related mods?
- Does the exhaust smell rich (should not since the O2 would give you a check engine)

SoupMan

- and no, 'Soup' in SoupMan does not stand for Soup Up but for 'Soup' as in Lipton 'Soup'. -
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search