Electrical Problem - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Electrical Problem
Monday, March 28, 2005 7:12 PM
I'm wondering if anyone would happen to be able to pin point this problem. I've got a 97 Z24 and when you take off from a stop the guage cluster quits for a second and then comes back on. It only does it when you take off from a stop. The lights on the cluster and the headlights also dim while it does this. I've tried lookin for a bad wire in the loom, but I can't find one. I've pulled the plugs apart and everything seems to be fine. It looks like all the pins are getting good contact. Any ideas of what it could be, is there something i'm not thinking of that it could be??? Thanks for any info!

Steven

Re: Electrical Problem
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 3:24 AM
Maybe your drivebelt is slipping and the altenator can't provide voltage.

T3 Super 60 at 8 psi, FMIC, 2.5" charge pipes, HKS SSQV, Ford Racing UDP, MSD coil, SCT Xcal2, B&M shifter, S/R cluster (150mph), Eibach Sportline springs, 19mm RSB, ES bushing kit, Trubendz 2.5" stainless steel exhaust w/ resonator and Borla ProXS, custom LED brake light bar, Phantom Grip.
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:48 AM
Have you tested your alternator? I had a similar problem with an explorer and the alt. was pumping out 17 volts. Had it fixed and all was well.
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 5:33 PM
I haven't tried that yet, but thats what i'm gonna try. Thanks!
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 5:56 PM
wouldnt hurt to check all grounds too,
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 4:21 AM
I checked and cleaned all 3 of the grounds that are underneath the battery tray yesterday afternoon. The only ones i didn't do was the ones on the front of the motor and i think i'll try that this afternoon. Is there anymore than that?
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 2:20 PM
I've had the same problem. The second bug fuse became worn shortly after that, too (40 Amperes)

Two monts after that, the alternator DIODE PLATE became worn. The solution: Replace it. This is a quite simple job, but it must be made for an expert.

Be carefull to find the EXACT replacement part.

Regards,

Luis, from Costa Rica

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search