Car wont crank when hot - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car wont crank when hot
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 4:31 PM
Hey,whats up guys?
I have a problem every now and then with my car(98z).When i turn my car off after driving awhile,it wont start back up.It wont even crank.You can hear a slight click from the starter relay,but thats it.It only happens when the car is hot.If i let the car sit for alittle while or overnight,the car will start right up.I replaced the battery,starter,and the ignition switch.The charging system is good.The wierd thing is,if i jump start it,it will start up with no problem.The only thing i can think of is that there is a corroded wire somewhere,and when i jump it,enough current is getting through the corroded wires.I have a feeling its the wire harness on the firewall.The one with the big connector.Has anyone had a problem like this?

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Re: Car wont crank when hot
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 7:26 PM
i dont think corrosion is affected by heat but..... who knows as you said you bought a new ignition switch your talking about the black box on driver side or the total mechanism on passenger side of colum if you just bought the black box with the cable and two holes. then perhaps you may have forgotten to adjust it. if your talking about what i think then youll notice the holes are bigger than the screws youll have to loosen them slightly untill it moves then turn it clockwise untill the cable is slightly tighter and try the key you may have to try it at different posistions but when it starts every time tighten the screws snug not tight youll crack the box but then put the colum cover back together and try it for a while if you have no more problems then next time youll know what to do

the fastest jbody?
Re: Car wont crank when hot
Thursday, March 31, 2005 11:15 PM
Bad iat or Coolant temp sensor
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search