Starter Problems - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Starter Problems
Monday, March 28, 2005 8:13 PM
97 Cavalier

Today I shut off my car, and when I went to restart it, the started would just go "click, click, click." I'm guessing that I need a new starter, but there is this little gray box with wiring to the starter that is hanging loose in my engine bay. What is that box? Where does it bolt up? Could it be the source of my starter problems.

One more thing, where is the cheapest play to pick up a starter? Do ya'll get em at junkyards or at autopart stores? I'd like something cheaper.

Thanks In Advance Guys,

James

Re: Starter Problems
Monday, March 28, 2005 9:54 PM
back to the top
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 1:01 PM
can anyone help?
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 2:16 PM
The click click click may be showing you a problem with the battery. Anyway, this sound is made by a electromagnetic device that engages the starter engine to the car engine.

The problem, as I see, could be:

a) Low battery charge (possibly a damaged one). Check voltage. If it is 7V or less, the battery has one or more damaged cells. If Volts are more, try to re-charge the battery.
b) A loss of contact between the rotary part of the starter engine and the electric contacts.

To repair those is fairly simple. Just disconnect battery, disconeect all wires on the starter engine, take this engine off of the car and fing a good car electrician. in my country, replacement parts are +/- $10.00 and workmanship is $25.00.

Good luck

Luis, from Costa Rica

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 4:51 PM
luis, there is this little gray box that is dangling in my engine bay. it is connected to the starter by wires. do you know where it mounts (maybe a picture or anything)? i am wondering if this needs to be ground in order for the starter to function correctly.
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 6:41 PM
I'm having a similar problem with my car... I tried to start it at 8:00PM and the sunovabitch made a nasty grinding noise. I'm hoping it's the starter, but if anyone else has any ideas please let me know. Also when I tried to crank it, all four gauge needles were flipping out. Please help

The term 'stock' is <i>completely</i> relative...
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 6:44 PM
first of all, did you attempt to jump start it? do that? what does it do?start= battery needs replaced, no start and click click click= remove starter, take it to autozone or wherever, and have the starter tested. if it is good, check all wireing for a faulty connection...

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 7:06 PM
if it just clicks it may be the starter silenoid its the part the wires are connected to mine did that so i pulled it off and got one from autozone with a lifetime warranty the ghetto way to check it with out pulling it off {damn exhaust manifold} is to take a long screwdriver preferebly an old one {it can sometimes melt} make sure it has a plastic handle now look at the starter first cross the big terminal {the one direct from battery} to the other big terminal right below it the starter should only spin in its casing its not supposed to engage if it spins and it still doesnt start from the key then turn key to run and cross the main terminal {one with wire direct from battery} to the small one on the front {nearest the front of car} the small one has a relatively small wire compaired to the main but cross them and your car should start however if you have a stick then somone will have to press the clutch with E-brake on {unless you want to get runnover} anyway when you cross these it should start if not let me know and ill proceed to step 2 CHECKING IGNITION SWITCH

the fastest jbody?
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 7:19 PM
damn i almost forgot if you have a volt/ohm meter its like a box with two wires positive and negative then check your battery 11.5/12 volts i think when not running however voltage does not determine amperage any way set it to 20 volt check batter ++/--
if it is in specified range then ground the negative on meter and put positive on small wire on the silenoid then have somone turn the key i think the voltage sould be at least 5/6 volts if not your ignition switch needs to be adjusted not that hard in fact its easier than pulling your starter {i dont like unnecesary work} anyway let us all know if any of this helps you

the fastest jbody?
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 8:30 PM
I tried jumping it and nothing happened, then checked the battery and it's got 11.62 volts, so I don't think that's the case. I consulted my dad who's an ex-mechanic and he said it sounds like I lost the starter sprocket by the noise. I would have pulled it off and checked but I'm parked in the street and the lighting sucks since I don't have a drop light or tools since I'm at college, but thanks for all your help.

The term 'stock' is <i>completely</i> relative...
Thursday, March 31, 2005 12:57 PM
Al I can think about this little gray box is that this device is part of a electrical-noise-supressing system.

But, in normal conditions, there is a heavy cable running from the battery to one post at tha starter, and another cable that comes from the steering wheel

Regards from C.R.

Luis A. Montero

Thursday, March 31, 2005 2:55 PM
This electrical grey box you are wondering about sounds like the starter relay that was installed on some 95-97 cavalier and sunfires as part of a G.M. recall issued in April 2002. On my wifes 95 and a friends 97 Z24 they are both mounted on the inner rad support with a self tapper. They don't need to be grounded, it's internal. Just mount it somewhere out of the way.
Thursday, March 31, 2005 5:52 PM
yo you said it does nothing when you crossed it? im assuming you mean from main to the remote from ignition {the smaller of two on seperate terminal} then chances are you need another sileniod but gm this is built onto the starter unlike fords which are on the finder well if this is the case then you need to pull it off im assuming you know how but ill go through it quikly cause its not hard it just pisses me off that one of the bracket supports is very near the exaust manifold. anyway just remove the nut on top of the starter to block support the nut just holds the wiring harnes clip then disconnect positive batery and disconnect the wires on starter then just remove the two starter to block support bolts and pull it off and have it tested

the fastest jbody?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search