Cars keyed alike - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cars keyed alike
Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:40 PM
A while ago I was working on a friend's 2004 Sunfire, and for whatever reason, I happened to compare their key to mine. To my amazement, they appeared to be completely identical. To test this out, I locked their car, and opened it with MY key! I then started and drove their car using my own key. I also tried their key in my car (a 2002 Sunfire), and of course it worked there also.
I was wondering if anybody knows just how many different key codes GM uses for these cars. I found this discovery to be rather disturbing - as in just how many other people actually have keys to MY car?! I checked with all of my other friends with J-bodies (about half a dozen others), and fortunately none of them were even close. There are about 10 cut locations on the key, but I believe that GM only uses the first 7 in the J-bodies, and only 5 of those for the trunk lock. That still leaves quite a number of combinations available, which is why this really suprised me. We even bought our cars at the same dealership here in town - but over 2 years apart.
I asked at the dealer, but nobody seemed to really know the answer - although they too were suprised.
I'm just curious, as previously to this I always thought my car was somewhat "safe" from theft, with the Passlock system. This made me think again about an additional immobilizer system. I just find having to add extra security systems to be more potentially problematic down the road, so I'd rather leave my wiring intact, as long as it's at least somewhat safe to do so.
At least my friend doesn't know how to drive stick, so I don't have to worry about them "hiding" my car on me one day...
I hope someone has some more info on this. It's been bugging me for a while.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/2002sunfiresl/Modified%20sunfire2.jpg

Re: Cars keyed alike
Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:01 PM
Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:06 PM
96Z24Colorado (The Other Matt) wrote:IN BEFORE THE LOCK

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=1&i=321208&t=321208

that thread is more along the lines of being able to get a new key cut based on the vin number of the car... no so much the fact that GM recycles key combinations every so often.

yes, you can get into other j-bodies with your car's key, but not very often. in fact, the odds of being able to do that are slim. most people can't get into their friends' cars with their key, but it does happen every once in a while.

Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:12 PM
Getting into someones car isn't all of that slim of a chance. Starting someone elses car that unlocked the door is VERY slim/

Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:35 PM
awww lol anways ya sorry didnt read it carefully enough i guess thats odd that it starts the car it usually just unlocks it

Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:36 PM
i remeber my old car and jokrs old car had the same key... well kinda, the doors and the trunk, but not the ignition

it was plain freaky

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:41 PM
one reason why i will eventually shave off all my locks

Thursday, March 31, 2005 10:02 PM
Quote:

Cars keyed alike

I thought you meant someone scratched your cars in the same manner.......

Thursday, March 31, 2005 10:43 PM
I had something like that about 5 years ago i had a 92 Grand Am and i was parked next to another one that was similar to it and just for laughs i put my key in the door and it unlocked.. Needless to say i locked it real fast and moved my car far away from it...
Thursday, March 31, 2005 11:07 PM
Brian Beauchamp wrote:I had something like that about 5 years ago i had a 92 Grand Am and i was parked next to another one that was similar to it and just for laughs i put my key in the door and it unlocked.. Needless to say i locked it real fast and moved my car far away from it...

Haha....good job on locking their car back up though.

Thursday, March 31, 2005 11:51 PM
ive heard it was one in 8.. who knows..

Friday, April 01, 2005 7:32 AM
I know my '01 Cavy key will open the doors to a friends 04 malibu. Found that out when he locked his keys in his car.

Friday, April 01, 2005 3:39 PM
My keys will open my gf's dads 02 Venture Van.. But it won't start it.. Same goes for his keys getting into my car.

Dark blue 2002 Z24, 2.4 Ltr.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search