2.2 Pushrod Timing Chain and Head Info needed - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 Pushrod Timing Chain and Head Info needed
Saturday, October 15, 2005 2:42 PM
Hello,

I posted a few days ago about my fiance's '97 Sunfire that just died the other day, and people just stopped replying to that thread so I'm making another one.

Anyways, I verified that the timing chain failed by pulling the valve cover and noting that the rockers don't move when the engine is cranked over.

Obviously I need to replace the timing chain, but I have a few questions.

-Should I replace the tensioner and sprockets as well? Do they come as a set, or are they sold seperatley?
-Is there any write-ups on this procedure? The Search and FAQ don't have anything.
-My Haynes manual says the oil pan has to be removed to remove the timing cover. This sounds like some bull @!#$ to me. Does the oil pan have to be removed to pull the timing cover or not?
-Is this an interface engine? Meaning, did my fiance probably bend a valve when the timing chain failed?
-If she probably bent a valve, should I replace the timing chain and then run a compression test, or should I just pull the head and check the valves?

Thanks

1997 Pontiac Sunfire
1993 Lexus ES300
1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD

Re: 2.2 Pushrod Timing Chain and Head Info needed
Saturday, October 15, 2005 5:49 PM
Here is a copy of the FAQ I wrote awhile back:
Below is a FAQ for timing chain tensioner replacement. Many 2.2’s have a problem with the tensioner wearing out and causing an embarrassing ticking sound. The cause of this is nylon on the tensioner being worn off by friction from rubbing on the timing chain. Symptoms of this are a ticking noise that changes with the RPM’s and the ticking growing louder as the oil is heated up. The noise should be coming from the timing cover on the passenger side of the car by the wheel.

Other parts you are going to need:
5 quarts of oil
Oil filter
Permatex RTV hi-temp silicone gasket
Timing Cover Gasket Set (contains a front engine seal as well)
Impact wrench

Special tools: *the pullers can be borrowed from Autozone I believe
A 3 armed pulley puller for removing crank sprocket (don’t know specific name off hand)
A bolt style pulley puller for removing crank pulley (don’t know specific name off hand)
A #5 torx socket for removing studs on timing cover (this is a FEMALE socket)

Removal:
Disconnect battery.
Drain oil and engine coolant.
Disconnect lower coolant hose (the one big one by the overflow tank that goes to the thermostat)
Secure front of car on jack stands (both driver and passenger sides)
Remove the serpentine belt.
Remove the alternator.
Disconnect the power steering pump(leave lines connected though) and position it out of the way.
Remove passenger wheel.
Remove both black wheel well covers.
Place a jack underneath the lower engine mount bracket and remove the two engine mount bolts that connect the upper mount to the engine (not the ones on the mount itself).
Lower the engine down as far as safely possible.
Remove black crank pulley.
Using the bolt style pulley puller, remove the crank pulley mount (the thing behind the black pulley)
Remove the timing cover—use the #5 torx socket to remove the studs that go through the oil pan. You may try to double nut them, but there are very few threads to work with. I’ve heard a 4mm socket may work.
Align the single hole on the cam sprocket with the timing mark on the crank sprocket (they should be facing towards each other).
Place a pin in the tensioner to remove tension.
Remove the tensioner bolts.
Using the impact wrench, remove the cam sprocket (24 mm socket I believe.) The chain and tensioner should come off after this.
Using the three armed pulley puller, remove the crank sprocket.
Remove all the silicone from the oil pan.

Installation:
Oil the shaft that the crank sprocket will slide onto, and install the crank sprocket.
Install the cam sprocket, chain and tensioner at the same time. Be careful not to mess up alignment.
Bolt down the cam sprocket.
Bolt down the tensioner.
Remove the pin in the tensioner.
Remove the old front seal.
Oil up the rubber on the new seal and place into the timing cover.
Insert the new gasket into the timing cover.
Using the silicone, create a good bead around the oil pan where the timing cover will sit.
Insert timing cover.
Insert timing cover bolts (go over them several times, but do not over tighten them)
Install the crank pulley mount and pulley
Install all the accessories you removed and connect the motor back to the motor mount.
Install new oil filter and make sure the oil pan plug is installed.
Fill engine with oil.
Reconnect the battery.

Test it out and awe at the lack of embarrassing engine noises.

I have found that the GM tensioner is longest lasting tensioner available. I would buy that from the dealer and go to your local parts store and buy a timing set (chain and both sprockets). You should definatley replace the sprockets.

Most likely when you pop that cover off, things are not going to look pretty. You may also want to drop the entire oil pan and clear out all the parts laying down there. To my understanding, this is an interference engine.

I would think that a compression test would work fine for testing the valves. Good luck with the project.

Saturday, October 15, 2005 5:52 PM
Under removal, axe the part about removing the coolant hose. I have found that you can saefly lower the engine without messing up the hoses.

Saturday, October 15, 2005 8:35 PM
So removing the oil pan is necessary? I live in an apartment, I'd rather not do that.

Thanks for the write-up!

1997 Pontiac Sunfire
1993 Lexus ES300
1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Saturday, October 15, 2005 9:35 PM
Well, it is not necessary for removing the timing cover, but you should probably remove it to get the crap from the timing chain out of there. I have a spare 96 2.2l that had a timing chain let go and it was not a pretty sight when I removed the timing cover. It may be the case with yours that you don't have a bunch of broken tensioner and chain parts down in your pan though.

In order to remove the oil pan, I have found that I needed to remove the cradle for the lower motor mount. Removing the oil pan will probably only add another hour to your job. Its definatley going to take you an entire day to do all this and another hour won't make much of a difference.

If you are not on too tight of a budget, have you thought about just picking up a used engine and dropping in? It would probably only take you about the same amount of time to change the engine out and you wouldn't be doing all that work for nothing if the valves end up being bent to hell.

Saturday, October 15, 2005 9:45 PM
I am on a very tight budget.

I'm debating whether I should pull the head before I replace the timing chain.

If any of the valves are bad, I am considering getting a used head from one of the junkyards around here.

1997 Pontiac Sunfire
1993 Lexus ES300
1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Saturday, October 15, 2005 10:19 PM
Take a look on www.car-parts.com for prices on heads in your area.

Sunday, October 16, 2005 8:09 AM
When in doubt, pay someone. Might hurt ur budget but better safe than sorry.
Monday, September 07, 2015 1:05 PM
Bump.

Does anyone else feel that Zach's instructions should be stickied some where? I spent a good three hours searching for this; not that I'm complaining about looking for it. I feel this is important information that should be readily accessible.

Ps if there is a post archived somewhere sorry for reviving an old post. And if it is not too much to ask can you share a link with me so I can bookmark an original source. I'm a novice mechanic and car enthusiast on an extreme budget. I will be tackling this on my own. Previous maintenance experience: Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump, Starter, Oil Changes, Spark Plug changes, disc and drum brakes, accessory belt change, tire rotations/mounting/balancing/ spares.

I'm excited to learn about my 2.2 ohv. I'll take the learning curve, just wish me luck!
Monday, September 14, 2015 7:12 AM
Yes, this should be a sticky for the instructions!

97 Cavalier 2.2L 3 Speed Auto.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search