Need to replace ABS pump on a 1998 Cavalier... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need to replace ABS pump on a 1998 Cavalier...
Friday, December 19, 2008 2:46 PM
I have a 98 Cavalier, 2200 with three-speed auto and 105k miles. The ABS and brake warning lights came on, and I had Firestone read the fault codes. They say it's the ABS pump and quoted $956 (parts and labor) to replace it!

Anyone else had this issue? Can I fix it cheaper?

Re: Need to replace ABS pump on a 1998 Cavalier...
Friday, December 19, 2008 3:01 PM
check your wheels speed sensors. most likely the cause.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, December 19, 2008 3:37 PM
The ABS pump on my car went out (turning on both the ABS and BRAKE lights as with your car) and I paid even more than you were quoted (I'm too embarrassed to admit how much) to fix it at a dealer (before I knew what I know now). You can get a reman pump for a few hundred or a used one for much less and do it yourself. But, it does help if you have brake experience. (I do now, so next time I'll be in a better position to handle it.) On the other hand if the shop does it and warranties it, it might not be so bad for the peace of mind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Friday, December 19, 2008 3:44 PM

Friday, December 19, 2008 4:57 PM
Yikes, even more? Well, Firestone said the fault code was C1286, which means a rather generic "EBCM turned on the warning light" according to my repair manual. However, sometimes if the car's been sitting in a warm garage for a while the light is out when I start the car later.
Friday, December 19, 2008 6:39 PM
c1286 (after a google search) is relating to a steering bias sensor. you dont have that. they gave you the wrong code. i restate my last post: check your wheels speed sensors.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, December 19, 2008 7:48 PM
J H wrote: Well, Firestone said the fault code was C1286, which means a rather generic "EBCM turned on the warning light" according to my repair manual.

My service manual (OEM 1999) gives the same description as yours. The pages that deal with diagnosing the code give a host of ABS things to check. Sounds like the correct code to me. In my case, the car seemed to perform normally except the ABS system was turned off. I was told this type of failure is usually avoided if the brake fluid is kept clean and changed on schedule. By the way, this code resets itself if all is well. I've had it happen briefly (since the repair) when my battery died since the ABS pump couldn't get pressure up. Once I replaced the battery, it cycled correctly, reset itself and the lights went off.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search