Changed engine Car won't start - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Changed engine Car won't start
Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:27 PM
Help a poor guy out. Bought a 97 cav with automatic trans. Motor was shot broken crank due to running out of oil supposivley. Bought as salvage motor which i heard startup and run in a vehical before they pulled it. It ran great, brought it home and installed it, it cranks over but does not start. The theft system light is on , on the dash, factory radio has been changed out,. Have checked with a timing light and there is no spark at the plugs. Any info where to start troubleshooting would be appreciated. I have access to old oscilloscope to check signals if needed.

dad the fix it man

Re: Changed engine Car won't start
Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:49 PM
JBO FAQ

That should fix your problem

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:34 PM
I done what the pass-code relearn procedure said, still wont start theft-system light not flashing

dad the fix it man
Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:44 PM
No spark?

Okay do you have power at the coil when cranking.

Do you have fuel pressure, or are you missing fuel and spark

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:28 PM
I can hear fuel pump run, do not know about the power at the coil, where is a good place to check that? It is really hard to access the pack with the motor installed. there is little room to get my hand down there to access the wiring. Is there any other place or way to check it?

dad the fix it man
Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:25 PM
back probe the wire with power with a paper clip or un plug it whichever u prefer, not sure what color it is though so youll have to figure that out in the repair manual, take a test light to check for power to the coil
Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:30 PM
fuses

always

check the fuses >.<

Friday, November 13, 2009 9:21 AM
No spark, new engine may have came with a bad ICM.... Check plugs, they may have been fouled from so many cranks.... I needed a new brain, couldn't get theft light to go away... Took it to dealership and they reprogrammed the PCM and cleaned the plugs. fired right up.
Saturday, November 14, 2009 4:28 PM
Is there a way to remove the brain and have it checked at a parts store or dealer?

dad the fix it man
Saturday, November 14, 2009 8:26 PM
take your ignition module off the motor that u pulled out of the car that was originally in the car and put it on the motor you pulled from the salvage yard!! See if that don't fix your prob!!! I know it sounds crazy but they will plug up the same but the pins read off different things inside the ignition module!

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:33 AM
Have you checked the make of engine.....contact the dealor from where you have purchased and ask him what is the problem in installing its really important to be checked

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:42 PM
Have ground to engine block?
Tuesday, December 06, 2011 10:15 PM
I am having the same problem. No spark and pos... no fuel. Another problem is the crank sensor, the car takes a 2 wire and the engine has a 3 wire. the 2 wire one wont fit in... i think that is part of my problem. any luck?

Fireboy153
Brady Fire Co. - Station 150
Long Live The Sunflower! (yea its not so "cool")
Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:01 AM
Crank sensor will cause no spark. Doesn't matter what car the engine came from, I have the engine from a 2000 Grand Am in my Cav.
Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:47 AM
I had the same problem when I did my swap, but then remembered I forgot to plug the crank position sensor back in. Plugged it in and it fired right up. So make sure ALL sensors are plugged in and that the fuses are also all good and in the proper spots.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Sunday, December 18, 2011 10:37 AM
Make sure everything is plugged in correct, and ive heard the ICM (coil pack thingy) Had different wirein g at times, this may cause it. Im currently stuck by this

Fireboy153
Brady Fire Co. - Station 150
Long Live The Sunflower! (yea its not so "cool")
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search