Changed wheel Bearing now Noizy! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Changed wheel Bearing now Noizy!
Saturday, July 17, 2010 9:29 PM
Last week I changed my wheel bearing on the drivers side. Then after driving the car for about 200-300km, I started hearing a loud clicking noise coming from the same side. Also it only clicks under acceleration. So before I tear back into it Im just curious if anyone has any suggestions on what it might be.

Thanks In Advance

Chris

Re: Changed wheel Bearing now Noizy!
Saturday, July 17, 2010 9:46 PM
did you make sure you tightened the torx screws all the way? if you didnt, they may have loosened up enough to the point where its hitting the rotational mass of the bearing.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 10:13 AM
I torqued them in place and plus the noise starts even from a stop. Id assume if it was hitting the point of rotational mass that it would first need to biuld momentum.

Could it possibly be a defective wheel bearing or some how the drive shaft?
Monday, July 19, 2010 4:05 AM
I have the same thing. Thinking it's the axle vs the wheel bearing. Did your wheel bearing come with a seal/o ring? Mind did but I found no evidence they were even used in the original. My original wheel bearing, after I go it out, didn't even seem bad.
Monday, July 19, 2010 7:03 PM
Might be the opposite side. I had my drivers side bearing changed, within days I noticed the noise was still there and getting louder. Turns out the passengers side was bad as well. I could swear the noise was comping from the D side, but after getting the P side changed it went away.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Monday, July 19, 2010 8:56 PM
I would check the axle nut, i know on alot of aftermarket hubs, they always say drive the car for a week, then come back and torque the nut again, and some even say to torque the bolts for the hub themself. If those are good, usually a ticking is a indication that you have a bad axle shaft. Normally you only hear ticking when turning, but it could cause ticking when driving straight too. Especially since you just did the wheel bearings on that side, i know the angle the shaft has to come out at, and there is a chance you damaged something, no on purpose, but things can happen. It also could always be a defective bearing. Goodluck, and keep us posted im curious about this!!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:55 PM
After I tore everything apart again, I found no defective parts so I just put it all back together and made sure everything was torqued to spec and luckily enuff the noise is gone.

So, @!#$in eh rite!
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:08 PM
I did my wheel bearing as well, I had a noise as well. I found it was the O ring seal wasn't seated properly. I fixed it now no more noise.
Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:35 AM
Where did the O Ring seal go? I have a 2003 and when I pulled my old hub out there was no evidence of a seal or o ring but the new hub came with one. But it didn't look like there was place to put them in.
Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:15 PM
mrgto wrote:Where did the O Ring seal go? I have a 2003 and when I pulled my old hub out there was no evidence of a seal or o ring but the new hub came with one. But it didn't look like there was place to put them in.

same issue here, tossed em cause they were deff not used from the factory. maybe i different model used them, as the part probably fit on more than one car. i now have a lot of up/down play, but its coming from my strut

Saturday, July 31, 2010 6:51 PM
The seals are for the back side of the steering knuckle. I think they discovered why the stock Gm bearings crapout so often is because they didn't put that seal on there. I never use them when I change bearings tho.

To the op when you removed the bearing did you knock the axle out of the bearing with a hammer? If you did and did it hard enough I could see you messing up a cv.

Monday, August 02, 2010 6:35 AM
Yea, there was no evidence of seal or oring on the bearings that came out. i have a feeling they're just included because it's a universal kind of hub/bearing assembly.
Monday, August 02, 2010 10:49 AM
Hows youre ball joints? if they have play in them it will cause pressure against them and burn them out quickly. Also it common to have defective ones. I am on my second front wheel bearings. Lucky they lasted 2 years. Now I bought Napa ones. They seem to be nice and smooth. Also replaced my ball joints as well.

Good Luck.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search