Voltage dropping problem - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Voltage dropping problem
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:09 AM
Soo recently I pulled my turbo setup and installed an m45 setup I got from another member. I replaced the crank pulley with one of Mikes oversized crank pullies, also it doesnt use the traditional m45 belt routing in which it deletes the a/c by bypassing it completely, using a shorter belt and a larger ribbed pulley for the sc idler. Since startup Ive only been seeing 12v and slowly dropping even after having the battery charged. Soo basically Ive just been running off battery power. I know the alt is old, but Im wondering if its not spinning the alt as it should? The belt is nice and tight and doesnt seem to be slipping, and I have a slightoil leak which is spraying on the belt which could cause it to slip, but even right from the start it was only seeing 12v before oil even leaked.

Gona pull the sc and make sure I didnt mess up any wiring, also gona take the alt to get tested which if its got a good charge than it has to be how its setup not spinning the alt properly. Oh and an fyi I got the sc setup from another member who had no problems with it at all. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Re: Voltage dropping problem
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:37 AM
reading owned me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:41 AM

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:37 AM
sounds to me like the belt is slipping on the alternator...

Also with the over sized crank pulley you should have no problem with charging, since your also spinning the alternator faster.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:38 AM
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:It's the crank pulley. Being an automatic you draw more power at idle then an identical 5 speed car. The joys of trans solenoids.

Jeffie....an over sized crank pulley spins the alternator faster....not slower....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:39 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:41 AM
You're right reading owned me I was thinking smaller crank pulley.

I need coffee lol.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:53 AM

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:20 AM
Yea Im just not exactly sure what to do. This came off another members car who was usng it without an problems. Guess Im gona have to find an a/c delete pulley and use the traditional m45 belt routing.

Love your pulley btw Mike Couldnt believe how light it is for the size. I swapped out one of your stock sized cranks for it

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 1:35 PM
Wow, I guess this will do it...lol

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 1:40 PM
Worked out perfect cause I actualy had a wire the same length with terminals crimped/heatshrinked that was 2g, the old was 4g wire. Gotta go charge my battery since its dead lol then it should be all good to go! Also gave me a reason to pull the charger and put the OEM phenolic spacer on

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search