2005 cavalier blown engine - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2005 cavalier blown engine
Friday, June 09, 2017 1:02 PM
So I race oval track (also looking to find any other oval track racers on here) but anyways my last race the car shut off on me and devistating me I found a puddle of oil under the car so when I got it home I started looking around at it and there wasn't any major holes in the block or anything so i checked the compression on the cylinders and it was 50, 42, 39, 0 so I clearly know there is a problem because it should be around 180-200 psi right? I'm trying to learn about these because I don't know anything at all ha but what information I'm looking for is

1.what other year/model cars have 2.2 ecotecs I can use? My friend has an eco he says will work but I wanna make sure

2. What advice to people have for swapping them?

3. What would be the next step for diagnosing the problem with the one in the car? Pulling the head off?

Thank you in advanced and any input is appreciated because I'm trying to learn about this cavalier, I've only really worked on neons

Re: 2005 cavalier blown engine
Monday, June 12, 2017 6:14 AM
A leakdown test will tell you where the problem is. It sounds like you bent valves pretty bad if all cylinders are that low.

As for where they can be found:
Scroll down to the chart for 2.2 L61

The motor is the same but the accessories, water pipes, coil pack covers, oil pans, dip sticks are not. Get one from a yard and swap EVERYTHING over from the old motor. Pan, accessories, power steering pump, pulleys, waterneck, etc.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search