What is an ' Italian Tune-up ? ' - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What is an ' Italian Tune-up ? '
Saturday, February 12, 2005 2:06 PM
" Drive it like you stole it. Lotsa high rev’s. Apparently Italian cars had a habit of fouling plugs and this cleaned them up. The term stuck. Basically, warm the car up well, then accelerate to red line many times. Sometimes I hold it near redline for a minute or so. This is supposed to blast carbon out of the cylinders. "

(From BOBISTHEOILGUY)

Re: What is an ' Italian Tune-up ? '
Saturday, February 12, 2005 3:12 PM
blow out the carbon" its an old car myth. much like " an engine needs backpressure to make torque". both are pretty much bogus.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Saturday, February 12, 2005 6:02 PM
The best thing you can do to clean out your engine is use products designed for that purpose.

Use a bottle of Fuel Injection Cleaner every oil change (I use Chevron Techron )

Clean out the Throttle Body with Carb/TB Cleaner - take off the intake, spray down the inside of the TB, and then start it up to burn up all the gunk that the spray cleaned off.

Use Seafoam or comparable engine cleaner about every 20K miles or so - stick the brake booster line in the can, suck the cleaner into the engine, and the crap comes out the exhaust

You can run the car a hard after adding doing all these things, that way the TB and injectors can fully open and all the carbon buildup/soot/crap will come out of the exhaust

My CarDomain Page
Sunday, February 13, 2005 1:26 AM
Back in the old days, (OK, the early sixties), I worked part-time in a garage. Many of the domestic big cars of that era (Olds, Buicks, Lincolns, Chryslers) came with standard 390+ cid engines and were driven by little old ladies who probably seldom exceeded 30mph. Our version of an Italian tune-up consisted of driving the car 10-15 miles down the 401 (freeway) at about 70-80mph, turning around and putting the "pedal to the metal" for the return trip. Worked wonders.
Sunday, February 13, 2005 7:56 AM
well seeing as how gas is no longer leaded theres alot less junk in the motor nowdays. Holding your car at redline for a min is not a smart idea, bouncing off the limiter for any period of time is not a good idea, flooring the @!#$ out of your car dont make it run any better, go with the seafoam

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:11 PM
basically means..too beat the @!#$ out of the car when you drive..i don't mean to the redline, but drive it hard..put it this way. when these old rich dudes/gals get there ferrari's they don't push it all the time or even not at all like what it was made for.
..when i bought my cavy..it was this lady that drove it along with her daughter..it was a grocery getter and the occasional weekend thing..nothing more...the car was burning about 1liter of oil a "WEEK" ..its a '97 z24 and it had less than 70,000km's. reason being there was a carbon build up that formed a ridge ..rings weren't seating..blah..blah..ne-waz..i drove the car hard for a month..didn't give a @!#$ cause plans were to replace the motor..but yet the oil burning went from 1 liter a week down too 1 liter every 2 weeks..continued driving the way i was and the next month it went to 3 1/2 weeks..continued the same driving style and forgot to check it the next month...the oil level was right on the money
Sunday, February 13, 2005 6:21 PM
I'm not sure it's a myth. When my bro pulled his engine from his 89 Z24 back in the day, there wasn't a trace of carbon to be found . But on the engine he put in, there was considerable amounts.

Drive it like you rented it anyways.

O noes!
Monday, February 14, 2005 11:55 AM
i love driving rental cars

Supercharged 95 BMW 540i M-Sport
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:45 AM
I've never heard of an "Italian tune up", but I know what an "Italian tire" is...

An Italian Tire is when all the tire half-peels off the rim and you still drive on it, making the sound "wop wop wop wop wop wop wop".*

*Disclaimer*
As the decendant of Italian immigrants, I can freely use the word "wop". So there, nyah nyah na nyah nyah!

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 10:27 AM
Also, if your car is leaking gas, set it on fire. It virtually eliminates all fuel leaks in an INSTANT!!!!!!!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 12:16 PM
Stupid degos, always digging up old posts...

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:44 PM
RedDevil wrote:Stupid degos, always digging up old posts...

Hey Devil, if you're going to stereo-type, get it right. Us guido's are good at making things disappear. We don't dig up what we've buried.

I'll stop posting on this thread and let it "Hoffa" outta here. Fuhgetaboutit...

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:24 PM
That's ok reddevil..

I'm sending Paulie "Walnuts" and Joe "Bag of Donuts" over to pay you a little visit...

They're gonna take you for a little ride....

And it ain't gonna be in a j-body....

Oh, one more thing. They got a new pair of shoe for you to try on...
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 5:32 PM
SledDog wrote:That's ok reddevil..

I'm sending Paulie "Walnuts" and Joe "Bag of Donuts" over to pay you a little visit...

They're gonna take you for a little ride....

And it ain't gonna be in a j-body....

Oh, one more thing. They got a new pair of shoe for you to try on...

Paulie and Joe don't do cement shoes anymore, it's a heavy trucker chain wrapped around ya... no "drying time" like cement, less chance for a floater.

And I know I promised that I wouldn't post on this thread anymore, so consider this one a little "interest payment" post!!

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search