best way to fix rust - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
best way to fix rust
Saturday, February 12, 2005 7:27 PM
I have a little rust starting to show on the inside bottom edge of a couple of doors where the metal is folded over. Whats the best way to deal with this? Sand it and repaint?

Re: best way to fix rust
Saturday, February 12, 2005 7:34 PM
replace the sheet metal.

-Borsty
Sunday, February 13, 2005 7:59 AM
you have a 2002 with rust? id take it to the dealer your supposed to not have any for 5 years that should be under some type of warranty

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:39 PM
replace the entire panel. i had an 89 firebird formula 350 with a few small rust spots. i tried to spot fix it...bad idea...no matter what method i tried it came back. only way to get rid of it was to hog out the area and bondo it. so again...id just replace the entire panel.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Sunday, February 13, 2005 5:01 PM
well that is not sounding good. Its a leased car so I am going to take it to the dealer and let them deal with it. If they balk I'll ask them why they're called "dealers" if they can't "deal" with it, hehehe.

Thanks for the responses!

Sunday, February 13, 2005 11:14 PM
what if it's on the top of the front windshield? Can't replace that part, can I?

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 8:54 AM
u know i have the same problem i have a 1996 z24 and in the top of the driver side windshield i have a big spot of rust andi'm trying to fixed with bondo but would not work it cracks again i don't have the $$ to send it to a shop but cause i'm the type of guy that do things i myself i need advised but i don't have the tig welding machinewhat u or somebody in the site recommend thanx in advance from jose 1973.
Tuesday, August 09, 2011 9:49 AM
The ONLY way to fix it is cut it out, and weld in new metal.

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 1:25 PM
Well we use a chemical at school called Ozpho and it completely stops rust BUT when we spray it we basically have to shut the shop down, its that potent..i got a little sniff in me because my resperator wasnt sealed and i was coughing for a hr..im not even sure you can buy it in a regular paint store...but then again iv never looked
Tuesday, August 09, 2011 2:56 PM
jose rodriguez wrote:u know i have the same problem i have a 1996 z24 and in the top of the driver side windshield i have a big spot of rust andi'm trying to fixed with bondo but would not work it cracks again

you don't say?

i don't know how many times i can stress this... BONDO SUCKS AS A BODY FILLER. BODY FILLERS ARE NOT STRUCTURAL.

they are meant to only be used to fill small imperfections left over after you do REAL body work.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, August 09, 2011 9:03 PM
Try dupont flex putty, thats wat im using on small dents and when it drys on the spreader you cand bent the spreader almost in half before it comes off and still it doesnt crack...i got like 12 tubes from my school

Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:32 AM
my old 4 door had bubbles up on the corner of the windshield,,, i was cleaning my new(er) 2 door and pulled back all the door rubbers and found surface rust in that same spot! i was soooo glad i caught it before it was a major issue, now i don't need to worry about that spot,,, now the rear dog legs are another story :/ theyll get cut out and welded as soon as i pay off my springs/shocks/struts
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search