engine bogging when accelerating - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
engine bogging when accelerating
Saturday, October 15, 2005 7:12 PM
alright so, something happened, some how I have no idea what though. My car is acting really funny. When i try to accelerate no matter how hard i push the gas, slightly or alot the car bogs like crazy. It will go then stop and go again. its really sudden its really hard to explain. Think of it this way..if you were to step on the gas, let go, then step again, and keep doing that. I have no idea what it is. we thought it could be the map sensor since the map sensor was lose we swapped it out and it ran fine for a little bit, but its doing it again. I have no idea whats wrong and either do any of my friends. What could it be?

Re: engine bogging when accelerating
Saturday, October 15, 2005 7:13 PM
and sorry i have a 98 2200 3 spd auto

Sunday, October 16, 2005 5:03 PM
i could really use some help anyone?

Sunday, October 16, 2005 5:10 PM
well thers a bunch of stuff you can check ,

such as yoru plugs and wires, fuel filter, O2 sensor.

could be any one of those.
Sunday, October 16, 2005 6:05 PM
i don't know if it would be any of those, the way it cuts out is erractic. The cars has power then doesn't and so on, like i said its really hard to explain.

Sunday, October 16, 2005 6:08 PM
Fuel pump, filter, injectors. Plugs, wires, battery.

Girls suck, buy a fast car.
Sunday, October 16, 2005 6:16 PM
we also just realized why its running super rich under acceleration, you can smell gas from the exhaust..., I do have three codes that i have to verify tomorrow, if i can get the car to school. High idle ( I have a bored out TB), EGR vavle something sorry i don't remember, and also Evap Sensor Voltage Low

Sunday, October 16, 2005 6:42 PM
I have a bad egr too.

Girls suck, buy a fast car.
Sunday, October 16, 2005 7:18 PM
we cleaned out the EGR and its still doing the same thing, we can not figure this stupid thing out and i want to blow it up

Monday, October 17, 2005 12:03 AM
sounds hauntingly familiar to MY problem...though my system wasnt throwing any codes at all. (1-2 1-2 1-2..."all clear!")

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=94111&t=94111

everyone was kind of pointing at sensors and reccomending replacing them in a game of pin the tail on the sensor" around here, lol

try taking a cheap digital multimeter (5 bucks at harbor freight) to the sensors at idle and comparing to haynes manual for the sensors readings for normal values. This doesnt rule out bad sensor information, but it will give you a better feeling they are okay. If the codes dont point the problem out, consider a vacuum guage. The haynes manual gives a good description of interpreting the results. The computer can be fooled, but no lying on the vacuum guage, lmao.

the computer will "adjust" things right around the problem for quite a time, until it gets to the point youre at now. The vacuum guage isnt fooled by this.

if youre computer is like mine, things have to get pretty bad before a code is thrown as the comp will do its job and adjust around the problem.

NOTE: i thought my EGR was the problem, but i replaced it and it persisted...turned out the system wasnt even getting vacuum to open the egr, so the trouble was "further up the line"

Is an '82 Olds Firenza a "Flash Ride" ?
Monday, October 17, 2005 4:30 AM
When I had my 88 2.0 it started doing the same thing. Wound up the computer had gotten fried and was making it run extremely rich under acceleration.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Monday, October 17, 2005 4:54 AM
fuel pressure regulator?
Monday, October 17, 2005 5:48 AM
sean duvall wrote:

NOTE: i thought my EGR was the problem, but i replaced it and it persisted...turned out the system wasnt even getting vacuum to open the egr, so the trouble was "further up the line"

i saw this post and went directly to my EGR, i haven't replaced it but i did clean it out and got rid of lots of carbon build up but nothing worked.

more driving today, to see if it will do it. its really wierd now i can slowly slowly step on the gas and it will move and not do it. but it takes me almost a 1/4mile to get to 30 mph, which is not good since i have to drive on the freeeway and crap. Also sometimes not all the time, i can step on the gas to the floor and it won't do it until i let go of the gas and want to press the gas again.

Last night i did hear a couple sounds that sounded like backfire but it was up front, which my friend suggested puddling which it could be with how its running rich, but how come its running so rich, i have not done anything at all to this car in awhile and all of a sudden this happens?

to me it does seem like a vacuum problem, because when it gets really bad and i'm idling if i push the gas the car almost dies which is strange.

This led us to beleive that the map sensor wasn't getting a signal but we switched that out. and its still persistaning

Monday, October 17, 2005 7:34 AM
take a vacuum guage to it. If is *IS* a carb gasket leak, the computer will for the most part "adjust" around it...until it gets too bad (like now, if thats what it is...lol)

I had to hunt to find a good location for the vacuum guage to get an accurate reading, you want a line that shows manifold vacuum. I used a line near the evaporative canister, i think the one that controls idle speed (the line that when its off, the idle goes up slightly).

haynes manual has extensive descriptions of various vacuum reading diagnostics. The meter showed possible carb gasket/intake manifold leak, I just got the thing off, and sure as $H!t it was a carb gasket (actually a rubber thing that is both carb gasket and mounting block, contains the gas preheater. One bottom back corner was "cooked" and crumbling. LIkely, that was the problem (I'll know after reassembly)

get a haynes manual and a vacuum guage, and find a good line to test on. cant hurt any.

Monday, October 17, 2005 7:37 AM
"its really wierd now i can slowly slowly step on the gas and it will move and not do it."

thats EXACTLY what mine was doing. a tiny bit of gas all is well, but you cant give it any more gas pedal, and it bogs down up a hill...yeah, backfired too, I could feel the backfire in my FOOT thru the accelerator cable, lmao.

take a vacuum guage to it.

Monday, October 17, 2005 7:41 AM
Do you have vacuum @ the fuel pressure regulator?
Monday, October 17, 2005 7:49 AM
it is a 98 and not carberated. and i don't have a vacuum gauge, or a way to get one right now, my car can't drive all my buddy's are at school and i also don't have a haynes manual

Monday, October 17, 2005 8:13 AM
That sounds like the same thing that happened to my toyota, The oxygen sensor just fell out fo the exhaust line. Look around the exhaust, under the hood where it comes from the four carbs and plugs and look to see if the sensor is out or if nuts are just loose or what. The sensor kinda looks like a spark plug but longer, Hope it helps
Monday, October 17, 2005 9:01 AM
sensor is in the socket and tight, i thought possibly faulty sensor but doesn't seem right. I think it may be the fuel pressure regulator becuase i am getting alot of extra fuel. i have a spare one. but having trouble getting the fuel lines off. any tips?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search