Gas gauge and gear indicator acting weird. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gas gauge and gear indicator acting weird.
Saturday, October 15, 2005 1:58 PM
i started my 96 cavalier today. it has been sitting for 4 months, it started right up, but the gas gauge went past the full mark, but theres only maybe a 1/4 of gas. after about 5 minutes it went down to 3/4 tank. also when i start the car, the orange light that tells me what gear im in, lights up in gear 2, but its in PARK, then shoots back to Park, all by itself.

Re: Gas gauge and gear indicator acting weird.
Monday, October 17, 2005 7:00 PM
Anyone?
Monday, October 17, 2005 8:14 PM
Gas gauge issue is normal...mine hasn't worked for over 2 years. I put gas in it by how many miles I drive. As for the gear indicator? Not a clue.

Monday, October 17, 2005 8:43 PM
Fuel guage sender is defective, just had mine replaced to correct this same issue.

J
Friday, October 21, 2005 2:28 PM
i dont really care for the gear indicator, i just want the fuel sender to work, the thing is it dodnt stop working, it still moves, its just inaccurate, now its at 1/2 a tank
Friday, October 21, 2005 2:36 PM
Oh give it some more time, it will quit working. Mine got a bit off for about the first 4-5 months, then started to stay at empty, then started to stay at full. Now it reads full when the tank is full, and usually stays up in the 3/4 to full range 80% of the time, then just drops back down to E from time to time. If I rock the car back and forth, I can make it bounce all around.

Just have to change the sender unit in the tank if you want it to work again. I personally am too lazy to do that myself and refuse to pay anyone, so I just ignore it and go by how many miles per tank.

Gas gauge and gear indicator acting weird.
Sunday, October 23, 2005 7:44 AM
Maybe while it was in storage, someone tried to suck up some of your gas and accidently hit the fuel pump assembly causing the sender unit to go. Just a thought.

Red 1997 Sunfire GT bonestock
White 2003 Nissan Spec-V I/H/E/P/MMI/GW/SS
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search