COSMO Ecotec intake - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
COSMO Ecotec intake
Thursday, February 10, 2005 10:05 PM
I just recieved an intake from Cosmo Racing today. It's designed for the Ecotec engine and I'll be attempting to install it tommorow. I don't think it should be too hard, but I just have a few questions that I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

Here is a picture of what they sent me. They haven't made instructions for this intake yet because I just got their demo version:

As you can see, there are three connections. I'm assuming the one with the black rubber grommet is for the IAT sensor (do I just shove the sensor in there?). And the skinny one for the other wire which is right by the IAT sensor on the stock s-tube. However, I'm not sure what the silver metal connection is for. Also, there is a skinny black tube which is between the three clamps and the intake in the picture. Perhaps that goes on that silver metal connection?

Also, there is a metal "support" at the other end, where should this attatch to? I'm reading the RKSport WAI instructions and it sais to connect their support to the power steering stud with a washer/nut. Do you guys think this is the same for this intake?

I'm assuming that the three clamps go between the black elbow and the TB, the black elbow and the actual intake, and the intake and filter. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, I'm also going to post a picture of my stock engine bay. Somehow I don't have any photo editing program or else I would number each connection/part to make it easier. If someone could number them in coordination with both pictures and what goes where, that would be awesome:

After reading other posts and instructions, I believe I need to disconnect the battery for at least 15 minutes so the computer resets. Also, what tools do I need to take apart the stock air box and s-tube (will a phillips and flat-head do?)

I guess my "few" questions turned into a bunch, but I would just rather get a sense of what I'm doing.

Also, for those that were wondering, I got the intake for $60 shipped.

2002 Cavalier LS Coupe

Re: COSMO Ecotec intake
Thursday, February 10, 2005 10:10 PM
looks like the 2.4 intake with a different bracket either way good deal on it

see ya!

Saturday, February 19, 2005 11:53 PM
... how did your install turn out for you?
Sunday, February 20, 2005 8:59 AM
Dissapointed because this so called "ecotec" intake is really a 2.4. They didn't even take the time to correct the support bracket, which im pretty ticked about. Anyways, here is a picture, doesnt look bad except I have it zip-tied.

I know someone that does aluminum welding though, so hopefully we can correct the bracket.

2002 Cavalier LS Coupe
Sunday, February 20, 2005 10:51 PM
looks good....but where are the zip ties?
Monday, February 21, 2005 6:44 AM
If you look at where the bracket should be, you'll see that I bent it downwards. Then that is ziptied to a couple places. It works fine, but I would feel much safer after I re-weld the bracket to fit correctly.

2002 Cavalier LS Coupe
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:31 PM
does it hit your hood at all?

were all of the parts included?

how does the intake sound?

would you purchase it again?
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:48 PM
i wrote up an email to them last week and the final product for the ecotec intake havent finalise yet. I will be the test out car when they call me in 1 month. So im going to have it for free. Anyway. Its not even on sell right now on there website. it states "out of stock".

Intake should be around April.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My Car Specs
Club J-Body Montreal Forums
Monday, February 21, 2005 8:26 PM
Quote:

does it hit your hood at all?

Yes, it does hit my hood, the highest point is right above the TB. If I took off the soft material underneath the hood, I doubt it would. But I don't think that really matters, since it doesnt obstuct the air, and if anything, it makes the intake fit more snug.

Quote:

were all of the parts included?

No. The tube that connects to the engine, as you can see, I had to buy an adapter because it is impossible to get a heater hose that fits both the intake and the engine. I've seen pictures of some people that just get a small filter but I personally just decided to go to Autozone and get a converter for 3 bucks and a couple feet of different sized heater hose. I then bought small clamps for everything, just to seal off the air as best I could.

Quote:

how does the intake sound?

You can tell a small difference. When I accelerate it definately sounds a little louder. Nothing too noticeable though. If you pop the hood and listen it sounds just like any other intake with the sucking-air noise. I have an automatic, it is probably more noticeable on a manual.

Quote:

would you purchase it again?

No. I mean, I got a deal for $60 shipped. But still, I thought it was a finalized version where the bracket would fit. Unless COSMO shapes up and fixes this version, I wouldnt buy it. However, if you can get someone to do aluminum welding, this is definately a better deal than any other intake in my opinion (RKSport, Weapon-R, K&N - all these WAI are rediculous price-wise IMO)

Recommendation: wait until they finalize the ecotec version and then buy it.

2002 Cavalier LS Coupe
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:06 PM
Its funny, i emailed them...and they have it in stock, despite the website, and total price shipped to my door will be 91 bucks CAN.

I wonder if it is the finalized one or not?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search