engine knocking/Clicking? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
engine knocking/Clicking?
Sunday, February 13, 2005 12:29 PM
So i got in my car the other day and as soon as it hits about 3,000 RPM's it seems to kinda knock or click. When i push the clutch in though it goes away. Someone told me that they thought it was the oil so i checked it and it was quite low so i added about 2 quarts and it still does it. Then someone said maybe a loose rod. Does anyone have any idea?

Re: engine knocking/Clicking?
Sunday, February 13, 2005 1:59 PM
hmmmm...no suggestions?
Sunday, February 13, 2005 3:10 PM
i'm guessing that you have a 2.4, well if that's the case, it's moat likely a lifter tick.
Sunday, February 13, 2005 3:12 PM
sorry for the spelling error that's a "most" not moat
Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:03 PM
CCasper wrote:i'm guessing that you have a 2.4, well if that's the case, it's moat likely a lifter tick.

Second that, especially since you were 2 quarts low.
Sunday, February 13, 2005 8:06 PM
he said when he pushes the clutch in it goes away i have a buddy with an srt and his does the exact same thing i installed the clutch for him myself and even opened it back up to make sure i hadnt f-ed anything up but everything looks good so i dont know id like to pass this on to my mopar feind also

"dude, thats a girls car"
Monday, February 14, 2005 10:14 AM
Sorry to tell you this but it is most likely a spun rod bearing. I have a 1999 Cavy z-24 with the 2.4 in it and it was doing the exact same thing then it got worse and now my motor is sitting on an engine stand in my garage with a spun rod bearing. It sucks cause those motors are not the easiest motors to pull out and they are not cheap to fix. Good luck buddy.
Monday, February 14, 2005 10:41 AM
i had the same noise come from my car when is a low on oil only i took it to about 4 different shop all said that it was not a bearing so i change the oil to swepco sythetic oil and it has not done it since but i was told its has nothing to do with the bearing because if it was a knock it would happen all the time not just at 3000 rpm so thats what i was told hope it helps
Monday, February 14, 2005 11:18 AM
yeah i was talking to my mechanic and i started it up and then it started to get worse so he said its either a lifter or a rod. So im debating on getting a new engine or fixing it...what do you guys think?
Monday, February 14, 2005 11:33 AM
My bearing at first didn't do it all the time only when I reved it up. Most likely a rod. Like I said my motor is now on an engine stand in my garage in pieces. Definately fix it it will be alot cheaper. I priced out a new one from GM and they want $5200 for a motor and will cost about $1100 to fix it. If it is a bearing you need to make sure you get your crankshaft turned at your local machine shop and probably resize the rod.
Monday, February 14, 2005 11:38 AM
Please, everybody just STFU.

The only one that should be speaking is Muff and Adam.

You DON'T have a spun bearing. A spun bearing will be like a jack hammer hitting the engine. You push the clutch and it goes away, pretty normal IMO. What you can do is check the oil in the tranny. Then tell us more about that clicking.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Monday, February 14, 2005 11:39 AM
^^^^ fully agree with mfk-233

Monday, February 14, 2005 12:36 PM
Hey guys you idiots the exact same thing happened to me and it was a spun bearing. At first I couldn't hear it til I revved the motor so I do know what I am talking about so how about you stfu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
Monday, February 14, 2005 12:44 PM
Last time i had the same problem, i broke a lifter. so STFU too.

Monday, February 14, 2005 12:49 PM
Whatever a lifter or a rod but it isn't just low or bad oil. Use your head!!!!!!!!!!!
Monday, February 14, 2005 12:54 PM
Well low oil was what cause be to break a rocker. 2 of the oil passages going to the lifter valve were clogged, by some sludge, Metal angaist metal without lubrication something had to give.

And you know a lifter and rod are on oppisite sides of the engine?

Monday, February 14, 2005 12:56 PM
Buddy I have nothing more to say to you. I have better things to do than sit here and argue with you. Grow up and get a life loser.
Monday, February 14, 2005 12:57 PM
Be a man, go premium.

Monday, February 14, 2005 2:56 PM
I say it could be one or the other, or a loose timing chain or..... If it is a lifter some times you can clean your blocked passage by adding one quart of ATF and then driving the car for about 45 minutes keep the car around 3,000 rpm. If you want to check for a spun bearing pull the drain pan and look for a burnt rod cap. You will easily be able to pick out the spun bearing cap it will look different from the others. Or is you are good with scopes you could high amps prop your start motor and and set a trigger for number one cylinder. then disable the fuel and crank the engine.If one of your osculations are higher then the other four you have a spun bearing on that cylinder. You can tell which if you now your firing order, that is what the trigger is for. If you have a spun bearing your starter was to work harder therefor it pulls more amps.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Monday, February 14, 2005 3:36 PM
Adam Schneider wrote:yeah i was talking to my mechanic and i started it up and then it started to get worse so he said its either a lifter or a rod. So im debating on getting a new engine or fixing it...what do you guys think?

My 2.4 has a stuck lifter and the ticking goes away when I push in the clutch. I initially thought it was a transmission problem but realized that the ticking would also stop when decelerating with the car in gear, so basically the noise goes away as the rpms drop. I used a mechanics stethoscope to probe around the engine (helps to open the throttle so that the engine is around 3k) and could hear the ticking coming from the exhaust cam tower. I also took my car to a friend who works at the gm dealership, he said it was a stuck lifter as well. If it is a lifter and you don't want to tackle the job yourself a shop will charge you 8 hours labor. One positive would be that having a lifter replaced is a good opportunity to swap cams!
Monday, February 14, 2005 8:10 PM
Its also a good opportunity for the upgraded lifters from Howell automotive and the valves from car customs.

Fact 1:

This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence
structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme.These elements are natural
to my process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Fact 2:

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely
true.

Monday, February 14, 2005 11:01 PM
Its probably just an exhaust leak.

My 2k3 cavalier | Nebraska Region SCCA
Monday, February 14, 2005 11:27 PM
I had this problem in my 96 cavi ended up it was a lifter and it went so long that i blew a head gasket and cracked the head. Not sure but the guy at CarX auto service told me that the 2.2 l engines are notorious for this problem.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search