2.3L INFO NEEDED! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3L INFO NEEDED!
Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:24 PM
I did a search and didnt get the awsners im looking for! I know in order to do a 2.3L swap in my 96 cavy i need engine ecu, and harness. But what i dont know is what tranny's bolt up to it? If the Hp on that 2.3 HO is 170 or 180? and really how realiable and powerful are these engines? Any one know what other cars these engines were available in besides the Beretta Gtz's and z26's? I also try quad4forum.com anything would help!

Its not my cavaliers fault, its a taco burner!

Re: 2.3L INFO NEEDED!
Thursday, February 17, 2005 1:23 PM
Okay,
First, the HO Quad 4 had 180 hp stock.

Second, it only EVER came with a manual transmission, I think there were two different ones. (One of which is a getrag-muncie (I Think) and the other was the NVT)...Not 100%sure.

Third, the HO came in:
Beretta GTZ/Z26
Achieva SC
Grand Am SE (90-91)/GT(92-94)
Cutlass Calais Quad 442
^All of which will have an 'A' as the 8th VIN digit.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 4:27 PM
it was a A code thanks that will help? they were availble with a getreg do you know the ratios on that? also anyone know were i can find a engine rebuild kit for it?

Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:34 PM
I'm pretty sure the Quad 4 Getrag ratios are in a thread in the trans forum that I posted called "NVG behind 2.2 swap" or something along those lines. I think the only difference between them and the 3.1 Getrag ratios are 1st and FD.

Friday, February 18, 2005 6:08 AM
in a 96 you dont need harness for the HO swap.. just the 95 pcm (non-2.3 auto) and change wire(s) then mantapart chip. a 96 guy could help you more with the wiring stuff.

the 92-94 HO blocks are supposed to have very similar mounts as the 95+ 2.3 and 2.4. i will let everyone know for sure once i get off my butt and do my swap.. from a 2.4 you want the 92-94 NVG-T550 trans that has the same FDR as your car and is much stronger.

there is a bunch of info about these engine in the quad4forums. they made many changes through the many years and it is important for you to learn about them. read up on them before buying anything cuz you may have bought the wrong (or just not optimal) parts..

good luck

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Friday, February 18, 2005 9:06 AM
okay well i found an engine out of a beretta gtz i got to get the year and im ganna look into getting the trans code adn prosible trans also! thanks guys and ive been asking around quad4forums also thanks!

Friday, February 18, 2005 9:06 AM
and i currently have a 2.2L

Saturday, February 19, 2005 9:55 PM
I was also wondering if anyone has dont this swap on a j-body or that have turboed a quad 4

Sunday, February 20, 2005 3:26 PM
my last 95 cavy i swapped a quad 4 w41 into it (basically a quad 4 HO with a longer duration cam and 10:1 compression) which was 190 bhp bone stock. and i started out with a 2.2

make sure the quad 4 HO you start out with is 92+ otherwise the mounts will not fit up.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Sunday, February 20, 2005 6:32 PM
http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1763

anything with the LGO next to it is a car that came with the HO

all the quad 4 motors (besides the SOHC version) are reliable if taken care off, check the oil level often, let the motor warm up for about a minute before driving off and so on and you should be good.

Not sure about the trannys, but i think one was the getrag 282

Click the banner to enter the best Quad4 & Twin Cam site on the internet.
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:35 AM
i found out on quad4 that i want the nvg550 its from 92+ berettas but that w41 sounds really nice but really hard to find it only comes in 2 or 3 cars and in certain years and models and as it is im just junkyard hoping now trying to find the best priced 2.3L some yards got them and for cheap! but they cant tell me if they run or if anything is wrong with it! so im sceptical that whole saying if its too good to be true! I found a 2.3 Ho with ecu and harness for $150!

Monday, February 21, 2005 8:13 AM
dude that sounds shady! lol
and the pre 92 engine WILL work...its the tranny that doesnt bolt up so good..if at all possible get a 92+ tranny ...it had 2 mounts compared to the 89-91 that only had one...
got a w41 engine here in town for 500 if your interested...and i have a ecu if you need it....but hey. who could pass up 150! lol

Monday, February 21, 2005 8:33 AM
all the W41 is, is an HO with W41cams and ecu, mantapart has some of the old bilmar chips i think still or they make their own now, and then you just need the cams.

Click the banner to enter the best Quad4 & Twin Cam site on the internet.
Monday, February 21, 2005 6:01 PM
A 96 has 3 plugs, while the 95 ECM has 2. It'll take a lot of plug swapping. Get a 2.3 MT wiring harness from a 95 J, and a 95 ECM. Get a HO chip then.

O noes!
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 5:41 AM
What is exactly wrong with running the berettas ecu? Cause were i live finding a 3rd gen j-body in a yard is really hard! cause they are there for a day and people come in like a pack of dogs and take everything then they just crush the shell in a week! but ill look around at other yards i usually dont go to!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search