3.1 engine - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3.1 engine
Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:44 PM
I am thinking about swapping out my 2.2 for a 3.1 (already have the donor car)

I know the tranny will bolt up , but what about the engine mount ?
and will the computer from the donor car work on my car ? (the donor is a manual, mines an auto and I want to keep the auto) every other thing, i can figure out i think !

the engines a 3.1 out of a 1991 sunbird so maybe I need to do a lil rebuild (even if the engine is almost new!)

what are th opinions, tips on this ?

I know it's an old engine but i dont really mind it (I mainly want it for the sound) and the fact I can make an hybrid out of it!

Re: 3.1 engine
Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:53 PM
i'm sure that you could fabricate something from the donor mount. i'm thinking you would have to swap computers, injector wiring harness exct. and get a PROM for a 3.1 automatic trans. i don't know this for sure since it's not an electronically controlled transmission. i'd also say "search" this has definatly been done before.
Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:59 PM
I know i need to swap all teh wiring

and whats a PROM ?

Friday, February 18, 2005 11:25 AM
Programmable Read Only Memory. compare it to cd going into a cd player. all pre OBD (96') GM cars have like a removable "disk" that has voltage lookup tables exct. sometimes gm even makes a mistake and there will be a TSB or technical service bulliton on them, they fixed the problem with an updated PROM and the solution is to install the updated prom. this is a pain in the rear to diagnose because you think it's a sensor or a bad ground but isn't.

a lot of the f bodies have "performance proms" which is roughly called chipping. it can optimize the fuel and spark curves and take engine modifications into consideration.
Friday, February 18, 2005 7:44 PM
Which engine mount are you talking about? 2nd gen 2.2s and 3.1s have the same exact mounts. The only part thats different is the bracket from the mount to the block. I don't know all the mounts in a 3rd gen, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to whip something up.

Saturday, February 19, 2005 5:14 PM
well now i have my winter 2005 project all set

ill just need some help when ill do it!

Saturday, February 19, 2005 9:56 PM
ok i was gona do this as well i got a new 3.1L long block and a running donor and looked into it as far as the trans you are right the trans from the 2.2L and the 3.1L will work to gether if you want to keep it an auto go to a local scrap yard and get the ecm out of a 3.1L cav or any other gm wit the 3.1L but as far as the motor mounts the lower isn't so bad but the upper is a pain you have to make a new radiator support and box it in as well as you have to make a new sub-frame in the motor compart ment for the weight and to adapt the lower motor mount this is a very possible swap but will take some time and good fabrication one more thing if you arnt going to use the 5sp do you want to get rid of the harness and the ecu for it

have fun with the swap and i hope i was help full to you
bobby day

ps remember drive fast take chances
Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:06 PM
I think im keeping the whole harness in the donor car since i am putting the 2.2 back in the sunbird (it fits so why now do a double swap while im at it )

and thanks for the subframe information and everything!!!!

Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:13 PM
true but you will have to use the harness from the 2.2 to make it work
Sunday, February 20, 2005 10:58 AM
I know

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search