no more cat - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
no more cat
Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:36 PM
This is for all you guys who DONT have a cat converter on your jbody....
i know most who own a jbody have a problem with the exhaust having a grumbling noise at time...this was eleminated in my car when i swaped the HO in..sounds great now...
but in my effort to gain a bit of power/response i decided to elimitate the cat..why not huh?
figured id just gut it and put a pipe straight thru and weld it on....my question is anyone know what this would sound like? i have a full 2.25 pipe and straight thru muffler...can anyone whos done this tell me how it sounds? how about with duels??...thanks alot!

Re: no more cat
Sunday, February 20, 2005 10:10 PM
Where do you live. If you are in the u.s.a. you have to have one on. Most states have inspections to check if you have it on. Also you will throw a code if you don't have it on. i think you could put an O2 sim in it to fool the comp, but it might be more trouble than it is worth. you won't see to much of a hp gain. as far as sound goes i don't really know

New sig in the works
Sunday, February 20, 2005 10:49 PM
just go with a high flow cat. or just cut a cat in half and weld the piece back on the pipe to make it look like you have a cat on your car

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, February 20, 2005 11:26 PM
^^^^^ good man. Taking out the cat is going to make your exhaust sound slightly raspier. I would agreed that you should at least make it look like you have a cat if you are going to remove it. The tickets for little things add up. What I have seen a lot of people do is order a cat that is 1/4" bigger than their exhaust size, then they shove a pipe through it and cut out all of the honey comb from the inside and weld it in. That makes a straigh-through pipe look like it is a cat but there is really nothing there. Really though, a cat is barely going to hurt you even with your H/O motor. It is going to be very difficicult for you to squeeze N/A horses out of it due to the fact that is was already tuned and set up so well by GM. If I were you I would simply keep the cat on there. You do have a 95' so you are never going to have to take an OBDII reading. They are going to hook you up to an exhaust sniffer to check out where you stand. I will tell you straight up that you wont pass emission with no cat and am H/O. They barely make it through as it is. There are certain aditives you can put in there in order to cut down on CO, but unless you can tune your car to have an absolutely perfect A/F, you are going to fail for Hydrocarbons if you are rich and NoX if you are lean. At least have a spare exhaust system for emissions.

Cardomain|Myspace

Monday, February 21, 2005 6:16 AM
no cat on an n/a car is pointless. you WANT some backpressure. not to mention it's extremely loud and raspy. now, I had an anti-cat made after the installation of my header, when the b pipe wouldn't bolt up to my new cat and catback. however, not having a cat could cause your car to run rich. i never got a CEL from not having a cat, but probably because my only o2 sensor was on my header (OBD1). but seriously, get a high flow cat back on there. you'll end up with better low end, better sound, and better mpg.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, February 21, 2005 8:22 AM
ok...hehe..FIRST OFF ....not to dog anyone...but there is NO emissions inspection for a pre 96 car in this state....so im not worried about emissions tests,.. i DO have to have something on there though..so the straight thru weld would work..thanks
SECOND..you say itll make it raspier...my car ISNT raspy...it has a niiiiccee smooth exhaust sound ...none of the burping that usually comes with a twincam...
THIRD..no its not gonna throw a code or run rich cus it only has ONE sensor...in the manifold......what im worried about is if i take it out that itll sound like @!#$..im about to rebuild this quad to really make some power and i want it to flow well...just never seen one taken out before.....thanks!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search