Motor mounts - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Motor mounts
Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:35 PM
Are they really worth it? I know its important to get the power to the ground but do they make a big difference? And how big of a job is it to intall the lower mount?

Re: Motor mounts
Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:46 PM
it wont make a big performance difference, but you will feel a little more low end. If you plan on getting a header, then it should be a must so the weldings dont crack.

Installing the lower motor mount isnt hard at all. Just take out the old one, and get the new one in. You might need to use a mallet to get it in, and the engine might shift a little. It's really not hard to do.
Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:46 PM
the only time you'll notice the difference is when you decide to NOT get them and have a nice fancy crack in your aftermarket exhaust (if you choose to upgrade exhaust)

i can honestly tell you that motor mounts just make my car sound like a rattle can.

however, i KNOW that preventing engine roll will help tons with my upcoming exhaust goodies and of course the theory that the less it moves the more the power is able to make it to the ground....

for your car, the upper is easy (just lube it with dishsoap)

the lower isn't difficult if you remove the pass. wheel and wheel well liner, the bolts are right there... just make sure to support the engine and you'll be fine

Sunday, February 20, 2005 10:00 PM
don't they make a a 2 1/4" flex pipe you can use with your header so you don't need the mounts and your car won't be a rattle can?

New sig in the works
Sunday, February 20, 2005 10:51 PM
the rattle isnt really all that bad once you hit about 1000 rpm it goes away, plus it also keep you from breaking the bracket for aftermarket intakes also. install is simple and quick. def worth it imo.
Sunday, February 20, 2005 11:25 PM
two thumbs up i love mine

MY 2003 SUNFIRE
Monday, February 21, 2005 6:18 AM
one of the best preventative maintenance mods i have done yet. i used the CarCustoms upper insert and lower mount (identical to RK Sport's) and they work great. you'll get a lot of vibration at idle so make sure you take your dash apart and TIGHTEN EVERYTHING otherwise it will rattle and be annoying. with a manual it does not rattle as bad because the idle is sliiiiiiiiightly higher.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:25 AM
I love mine, also got mine from CarCustoms for 65$. (top and bottom). It will help to obtain any power loss, that goes through your mounts. (Small gain, but feels like more bottom end torque) Must have for any car with a header or after-market exhaust.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:27 AM
the mounts are a great mod too. worth it if your going to get a header or go for boost. the vibes aint that bad anymore, i barley notice them

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, February 21, 2005 8:36 AM
the vibs are pretty bad on my 98' and i didnt really notice any gains... b4 i installed them i could burn the tires and after install i cannot... the install of the top one is a little harder than the bottom the bottom one you just pull out and put the new one in. the top one you have to take a few other things out b4 you can get to it to install it.... bottom line if i wasnt going to install a header then i would take them back out...

then again i just installed them yesterday... do the vibs go away a little after a while after the upper mount gets to where it wants to stay??

thx

matt

What day is it again?.... I don't sleep enough.....
Monday, February 21, 2005 8:43 AM
After a few weeks, the mounts get broken in & the vibs do lessen a tad, but are still there. None the less, I do agree with tighting down ALL the bolts in your dash and mirriors. It gets rid of the buzz & knocking sound.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search