need to know about spark plugs - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need to know about spark plugs
Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:55 PM
Hey I have spark plugs and wires picked out for my cavalier but before I decided to buy them. Ok they have at high rev motorsports spark plug wires the Nology 2.2l spark plug wires. and then i found Denso iridium plugs. will they work well with together? i have a 2002 cavalier 2200 ohv 2.2l. if there is anyother plugs and wires you might know off that will be better for my car that would be great too. thanks

Re: need to know about spark plugs
Sunday, February 20, 2005 2:09 AM
dont use Iridum plugs, waist of cash for one unless you're like every other granny driving soccer mom on the road that doesnt do regular maint. to they're vehicles. the plugs were not designed for performance applications they were simply meant to last 120K without needing to be changed.

Use a regular platinum or a copper core, same results, alot cheaper!

Sunday, February 20, 2005 7:38 AM
Save you money on the Nology wire's. There's plenty of posts about them, search and you'll see why.
If you want better ignition results just get s set of good wires(MSD, Accel, Taylor, etc...) and a good ground strap(connected from block /head/or trans stud)and connect it to a battery bolt extender on the negative battery post. This will give the best ground for your ignition, which is probably one of the most common problems for weak ignitions. You can also do this for chasis ground also if you run alot of electronics.
If your running higher RPMs you can try hotter ignition coils available from MSD, Accel, Jeg's or Summit Racing among others. These coils are capable of holding full charges at higher RPMs without dropping off, though the DIS GM uses is less prone to this compared to the old HEI.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 2:27 PM
KARBELT, who specializes in domestic muscle cars insists the ultimate sparkplug for J-bods is the factory AC Delcos (which their shop doesnt carry). These guys have nothing to gain from suggesting mid-grade (AC delco) plugs, when they could upsell highend plugs for twice as much, so the opinion seems valid. Needless to say replacing plugs as often as recommended instead of the old clean and regap is going to assure quality spark.
Sunday, February 20, 2005 6:23 PM
I'd go for Accel's thundersport wires on the same site you mentioned and use the extra $100 to buy those MSD coil packs as well, works better than nology wires. Iridium plugs work just fine for performance but whether they're worth 7 bucks a piece is up to you.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Monday, February 21, 2005 10:18 AM
the denso's are good plugs but are only designed for performance. if you take one and compare it to a stock plug you will see the difference. the denso's are way too cold for a regular, traffic and gracery getter. they will get carboned up and foul out.you had a turbo, really high compression, or used a lot of nitouus (like once a week at the track) then i would go for it. otherwise stick with acdelco.

don't cheap out and get champion. search and find out why.
Monday, February 21, 2005 3:12 PM
chapter10 wrote:the denso's are good plugs but are only designed for performance. if you take one and compare it to a stock plug you will see the difference. the denso's are way too cold for a regular, traffic and gracery getter. they will get carboned up and foul out.you had a turbo, really high compression, or used a lot of nitouus (like once a week at the track) then i would go for it. otherwise stick with acdelco.

don't cheap out and get champion. search and find out why.

I total agree, Delco makes great plugs and wires to.

I would just like to say high performance wires and plugs do not give you more power. They are only necessary if you are running boost or juice. They are designed to be able to take the beating of nitrous or boost, most factory plugs can not. So if you are getting them for a performance upgrade and are basically stock, I think it would be a waste of money. Since you have an '02 you probably do not need them unless you have high mileage.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Monday, February 21, 2005 6:42 PM
thanks for all the input. well i went to a shop around Edmonton here and i found these spark plugs called Bosch platinum +4. they are a center firing plug that don't need to be gaped. the car only has 21 000 km on it so she is new bit i though seeing as i'm doing the header and exhaust i though why not the plugs maybe a higher quality plug and wire. but i really appricate the help , so you think i should just go with the accel wires i was looking into the vitek wires as well at high rev but i quess price don't mean everything.
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:10 PM
Don't go eith the Bosch Platinum +4's, the 4 electrodes shroud the flame kernol, and actually reduce combustion efficiancy. The Platinum +2's or regular platinums are good. The best actually is the original AC Delco's or the Irridiums if you want to pay the extra money, but you won't notice any difference.

Definitly not the +4" though!

Monday, February 21, 2005 7:17 PM
MadJack wrote:Don't go eith the Bosch Platinum +4's, the 4 electrodes shroud the flame kernol, and actually reduce combustion efficiancy. The Platinum +2's or regular platinums are good. The best actually is the original AC Delco's or the Irridiums if you want to pay the extra money, but you won't notice any difference.

Definitly not the +4" though!

I total agree, do not use them AC delcos are your best bet. If you can find them at whole sale dealer you will also find out htey cost less to and are 100% better.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:23 PM
Let me put it this way i went from stock to Bosch +4 then to AC delco one step colder now i am back to the stock AC Delco my run a lot better now.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search