Just put the new Secret Weapon intake in! Opinion: - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Just put the new Secret Weapon intake in! Opinion:
Saturday, January 29, 2005 6:08 PM
Just wanted to share my experience with the Weapon R Secret Weapon intake on my 2004 Cavalier -- Quality, and Installation.

My package came in the mail yesterday via UPS. The guy didn't get here until 6pm; by that time it was already dark and VERY cold outside. But I had to install it

Taking the stock air system out wasn't too hard--it basically consisted of loosening all the clamps, take the battery out, and onbolt the fusebox. I still haven't gotten around to taking the resonator/bong out, I didn't feel like jacking my car up and taking a wheel off, that'll come my next day off. It shouldn't cause any problems just sitting there taking up space

The new intake: Weapon R's Secret Weapon. It's a short ram intake. My first impression was kinda shakey. It came with a bunch of silicon fittings, clamps, and a filter. The directions that were included were cruddy photocopied general intake instructions. I think if you're gonna spend $200 on an intake system, they would be able to AT LEAST give you color pictures for us noobies.

The ends of the pipes weren't perfectly round, there was a little bit of creasing, and could tell it was cut. On one end, there were rivets holding an inner metal tube in place. One of the rivets were lopsided and poking out, and not flush with the tube--which made putting one of the fittings on a little harder.

The clamps were a little on the cheap side. I tightend one just a little bit too much and it snapped. There weren't enough included in the first place, and the directions told me to use a clamp off my stock intake.

There was a cruddy "Weapon R" etching on the side of the intake pipe. I didn't want to touch it, because it looks like the metal around it would flake off.

The filter rests against the fusebox. I'll have to relocate that sometime, because it's going to restrict the air...

There was a metal bracket included, and the directions said to bend it to the nearest bolting point. Unfortunately, there are no mounting points in that area in my bay -- is it required to bolt it down?

The performance I gained is pretty surprising. This is the first mod I have done to my car, and I didn't expect a metal pipe to increase my performance that much I have an automatic transmission. From a standstill, I can stomp the gas and my tires will squeel. (although they're just Eagle RS-A's) It's very LOUD and deep. Very satisfying. The only complaint I have in this area is that I can only hear it near the redlines, I don't know if this is because I have an auto or not..

I guess overall, I'm satisfied with the intake. I give it a 6 out of 10. They could have done a lot better with the workmanship. The performance is great. It adds an extra kick.

Re: Just put the new Secret Weapon intake in! Opin
Saturday, January 29, 2005 6:27 PM
PICS!!!!!!!! where are the pics <br>

Saturday, January 29, 2005 6:49 PM
hehe thanks for your interest. I'll definitally post some pics tomorrow!
Saturday, January 29, 2005 7:12 PM
I had the same problem with getting the right clamps and connectors. Sent it back and got an aem. The box had about 6 diff connectors and only two fit in place. and you gotta love that neon green licsense plate frame. lol <br>

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Saturday, January 29, 2005 7:16 PM
Why did you take the battery and fuse box out? I have the weapon r dragon intake and I didn't need to do any of that and I am sure none of the other guys need to either. Mine starts getting louder at 3500rpms but it really screams at 5000rpm. <br>

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Saturday, January 29, 2005 8:30 PM
My weapon r had came without the right fittings, but I made it work with an extra 10 bucks. Good gains and great sound, thats about it.
<br>

Saturday, January 29, 2005 8:47 PM
I love ny weapon-r dragon intake!I have a 5 speed 2005 cavy and at about 3500 rpm's it starts to really pull,wasn't expecting that much of an increase! I don't think any aftermarket part is going to fit perfectly.nice sound though in the higher rpm range,overall very satisfied!
Saturday, January 29, 2005 9:28 PM
My aem fit perfectly. and it should be given that an intake should come with the right couplers to actually install it correctly instead of spending more money to get it right. <br>

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 5:39 PM
Interesting, i just received my weapon r secret weapon intake and everything was included that i need. the only thing im trying to figure out is the IAT sensor because it doesn't fit all the way in due to the inner pipe.. Is this ok or is there something to do about it? Thanks for the help.
Monday, February 21, 2005 8:06 PM
all of my stuff fit just fine eccept for the cuppler it was too small i had to boil it and strechit to fit. but other hen that all is well
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 8:40 AM
i just got secreat weapon intake ordered on thursday from ebay and i was wondering what kinds of opinions do you all have with the performance and sound gain from the intake

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:50 AM
all i have to say is thats bs for 200 bucks! i got the aem cold air for only 40 more and it fits perfect, the dirrections are for my car, the mounting bracket included goes where its supposed to, and all the couplings etc fit. They even gave me my choice of mount, hard or one with a rubber bushing. The tube is even round and not crushed lol... oh and the aem on the pipe doesnt flake off... and the vynal and the licence plate are nice lol..... Hey is the "secret" weapon carb legal?

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:46 PM
so the quality sucked... the fit sucked...... not enough clamps.... looked like the metal was about to start flaking..... but your happy with it cause it sounds cool after readng your review I would not buy it

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:54 PM
no problems with my aem cai, good gains...sounds awesome too

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 5:21 PM
ill stick w/ my rksport thanks

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 5:33 PM
I switched from the RKSport to the AEM... After a couple of weeks of having it, I'd say the gains are good. At first I wasn't really liking it, but now I think my ecu has picked it up. With the AEM, you take a low end loss but the high end gains are great. I'm still thinking of some point of switching back to the RKSport. I'm glad I still have it... It rains too much around here... I almost had a hydrolock scare the other night. And no I don't drive through deep puddles! Don't even say it... I miss the low end the RK had...
Thursday, February 24, 2005 12:17 AM
Im staying with my RK intake as well........

Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:32 PM
my K&N typhoon has great powdercoating, perfect fit, all i needed to do was add a piece of vacuum hose for the FPR. it performs every bit as well as the AEM CAI it replaced.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search