What do you think about my choice of muffler? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What do you think about my choice of muffler?
Saturday, February 26, 2005 2:28 AM
Well i am not sure what one to go with.. i want a magnaflow muffler but these are the two i am choosing between.

This one is from their Street Series
PART #: 14814
DESCRIPTION: Double Wall, Angled Cut
2.25" Inlet, 4" Diam. Tip
4" Tip Length
5" x 8" Oval Body
14" Muffler Body Length

or

This one is from their Race series
PART #: 14819
DESCRIPTION: Double Wall, Angle Cut
3" Inlet, 4" Diam. Tip
3" Internal Race Core
4" Tip Length
5" x 8" Oval Body
14" Muffler Body Length

My main question is, if i go with the Race series, do you think it will be too loud? (and just leave out how it is a 3" inlet i am not worrying about that, only noise levels right now) Also if you know any site were they have the DB levels for Magna flow mufflers let me know. As i need a new exhaust to help out my Supercharger. And if you have any other suggestions for a muffler that has the deep throaty sound like the Magna flow let me know. ( I DO NOT want a muffler that sounds like the ones you see on all the imports i CAN NOT stand that sound) and here is a picture of the style of muffler im going for

Re: What do you think about my choice of muffler?
Saturday, February 26, 2005 5:37 AM
I think a 3" inlet is a little big... It would prob sound "poppy".. I'd go with the street. Loud exaust is cool for like a week, but remember that the j's have @!#$ sound-deading, so later on, on long road trips, it'll get annoying... And louder does not mean faster.

My Sunfire
Saturday, February 26, 2005 6:43 AM
It ain't bad man but 3inch inlet is alittle big but you can take care of that with alittle bit of welding.

Saturday, February 26, 2005 1:50 PM
Same Muffler I use on my car. 3" inlet with a straight thru 3" core and opens up to a 4" tip.

I have a full 3" mandrel bent exhaust from about the firewall back. My downpipe is 2.5" mandrel bent as well.

Moddest muffler, great sound, flashy but not too flashy.

On my car with turbo, it has a deep growl.

It will prolly sound a bit different on your car because you are supercharged tho...

Still a great choice IMO. If I am not mistaken I think they make it in a 2.5" straight thru core as well.

Later,
Jeff

--------------------------------
2000 Turbocharged Silver Z24 5spd
Cardomain Site
Pictures and Information of Z24 Turbo Project
Saturday, February 26, 2005 4:43 PM
Thats the same one i just bought now getting put on 14814 street series. All i know is that when i had first put on the pacesetter header magnaflow high flow cat with 6 inches of core 2 1/4 cat-back piping 18 inch glass pack clam shell style res and a magnaflow dual tip muffler with 2.5 inlet 3 outlet let race series it was all most the worst sound i had ever heard in the world. It sounded deep at first but starting at 3000rpms it had a really high pitched buzz. Had to suffer with it since September and now everything in my registry is different except the header and 2 1/4 piping. Becarefull too cause alot of people who think there exhaust setups sound good prob haven't heard it from out side there car flying past them. And in my opinion the race series is too loud stick with the street series. I haven't driving my car yet with my new set up but i can only pray it sounds different
Saturday, February 26, 2005 7:39 PM
Darksun280 - did you say the muffler with the part number 14814 from Magna flow was a crappy one?

Alright well i think i have decided what i am going with... I think i am going to go with a custom 2.5" cat back into the dual mufflers with just the 2.25" inlets (part number 14814)... because i like this style of muffler and tip but they don't make them in a 2.5" inlet

Saturday, February 26, 2005 8:29 PM
nope i said thats the one i just bought because i think it would sound better then the magnaflow race series one i had.
Sunday, February 27, 2005 1:44 AM
Darksun280 wrote:nope i said thats the one i just bought because i think it would sound better then the magnaflow race series one i had.

well do you think you could let me know how you like the one you got on now once you take your car out? as i was driving beside a integra today with my dad and the exhaust was sooo loud i couldn't even hear him talking... and my dad looks over at me and say "now thats what you DON'T want your exhaust to sound like"

Sunday, February 27, 2005 5:41 AM
I like the "poppy" sound I can get out of my car. I just barely push the gas enough just to get it to flow a little bit. I don't know exactly what is happening or have thought about it either. I'm not giving enought gas to make the motor work but it's not like I'm totally letting off the gas either. Anyways when I just feather the gas and let back off I get a popping sound. I think it's fun to do!!!

Sunday, February 27, 2005 9:38 AM
Should have gone with a cherry bomb turbo yo.

Originally posted by MSD
I have an 03 5-speed Cavy, and when I race.. I shift at 6300-6500. That method (coupled with the fact that the guy probably couldn't drive for @!#$) allowed me to keep up with/have a slight lead on an 04 Mustang GT.

Sunday, February 27, 2005 2:05 PM
Quote:

Should have gone with a cherry bomb turbo yo.

humm or not... from what i hear thoughs are like walmart style mufflers....

Sunday, February 27, 2005 2:33 PM
i like these mufflers too, but where else to buy them? there's gotta be a less expensive place to buy...

also, what do you guys think of a flowmaster 40 on a 2.4?

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search