problem when i start the car - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
problem when i start the car
Saturday, February 26, 2005 5:46 PM
when i start the car it jumps to 2200 RPMs. after i give it a lil gas in park it goes down to about 1300, i dont think its a big problem or anything but i wanted a second opinion. when i place it it drive it all goes back to normal and works fine. what do you think?

Re: problem when i start the car
Saturday, February 26, 2005 6:04 PM
It is normal for a car to run at higher rpms during a cold start in order to bring the engine to normal operating temperatures. When you give it gas it quickens the process, however is not recommended. Just my guess on the situation

Saturday, February 26, 2005 6:04 PM
Is it cold where you are? I live in canada and i have to let my car warm for 10-15 mins b4 i drive... When i start my car it idles high till it starts to warm once it reaches the quater mark the idle goes back down to 1000.
Saturday, February 26, 2005 6:11 PM
No, I live in south texas about 5 miles from mexico. its not cold at all

Saturday, February 26, 2005 7:42 PM
joey k wrote:Is it cold where you are? I live in canada and i have to let my car warm for 10-15 mins b4 i drive... When i start my car it idles high till it starts to warm once it reaches the quater mark the idle goes back down to 1000.

Lol, that's a little much for idling, even in our great white north. Idling your car for that long can be really bad for a car.

As for the original poster's problem, clean out all the air intake components (Throttlebody, IAC, etc) and then check it out. Sounds like something is just sticking a bit at start up.

"I count him braver who overcomes his
desires than him who conquers his enemies.
For the hardest victory is the victory over self."
- Aristotle

Saturday, February 26, 2005 8:34 PM
hey when its 40 below you have no choice to let your car warm up.. It takes 5 mins alone just to start feeling some warm air coming out of the heat. I dont know where you are but 10-15 mins every morning is not too long for your car to warm up after siting in 40 below weather for 10 hours over night.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search