ECOTEC Limit - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ECOTEC Limit
Monday, February 28, 2005 2:52 PM
I already read the topic at the top of the forum... but I can't find anything that will get rid of the rev/speed limiter on the ECOTEC... does anybody know if the JET Power Contol Unit will do the job?

Re: ECOTEC Limit
Monday, February 28, 2005 2:55 PM
jet.... NO

this thread will be locked or deleted because of the speed limit comment

bye bye

Monday, February 28, 2005 4:31 PM
doesn't anybody know what RPM that GM got the ECOTEC to. cause when i first bought mine 6500 seem a little quick and that the motor could of when higher. by the way i like my speed/rev limiter. it is NOT fun to blow a $2k+ motor up when it is your only way of travel

Monday, February 28, 2005 4:46 PM
its set around 6500 RPM.
and the only way anyone will tell how to get rid is buy a stand alone feul managment system

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, February 28, 2005 4:54 PM
check out JBodyperformance they can do anything you want to your computer now for $550. at least by what there site says and waht they said on the phone

Monday, February 28, 2005 5:02 PM
there is a j site that has a library that had all of the stock parts limitations.im not sure if it was ny j-bodies or ne 0r nj. but gm used the stock valvetrain up to 10,000 rpms. but they also de-stroked it. i think i am going to check out jbp
Monday, February 28, 2005 5:28 PM
If you get rid of the speed limiter (also known as the govenor) then you are a tool and an idiot. Rev limiter is different, that keeps your rpms under 6500. Normal ecotecs hit their peak at 5500rpm and it drops off after that so there is no reason to up your rev limiter.

Considering that you are only at most 18 with no car or mods listed you've no reason to get rid of either. Again, I state the fact that you are an idiot.

Monday, February 28, 2005 6:14 PM
gm's eco racecars go to 10,000rpm i believe

Monday, February 28, 2005 6:58 PM
sappy is correct. when GM made thier Eco drag engine they had it built for a 10,000 rpm rev limit. but that is with the 2.0L conversion and all the internal goodies that go with it. and NO you cant spin the cobalt SS 2.0 to 10k. well you can...once...LOL

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Monday, February 28, 2005 11:09 PM
the stock valve train is good for 9500 rpm.
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 12:29 AM
Arnjolt wrote: Normal ecotecs hit their peak at 5500rpm and it drops off after that so.

It all makes sense now....maybe : ) anyway I did a cluster swap from an 04 with a tach. It worked fine untill my engine reached about 5500 rpm then the tach needle would get stuck and zero out at 4000 or so when the engine was shut off....could it be since my 2200 has a different rev limit that this cluster is from an ectotec?

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 6:10 AM
Hmm 7500 rpm would be nice with some good breathing mods.. Too bad standalone is so expensive..

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 7:22 AM
Arnjolt wrote:If you get rid of the speed limiter (also known as the govenor) then you are a tool and an idiot. Rev limiter is different, that keeps your rpms under 6500. Normal ecotecs hit their peak at 5500rpm and it drops off after that so there is no reason to up your rev limiter.

Considering that you are only at most 18 with no car or mods listed you've no reason to get rid of either. Again, I state the fact that you are an idiot.

I didn't make this topic for me... I'm fine with my rev/speed limiter... my cuz is building up a crate ECOTEC for race and trying to keep it street legal... I am 18 and I didn't fill out all my info is because I really didn't have the time to update everything... but I'll have all my info up soon since it interests you
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 7:40 AM
the peak is more like 5600 or 5700 rpm. However, according to the gm mechanic at the local dealership, the tach on the car shows about 200 rpm more than what it really is. ( he has other equipment and his always shows the 200 rpm difference )
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 7:50 AM
what is the big deal about removing the speed limiter? The late model cavalier is very solid at 100 mph with the proper tires. Many cars today have much higher speed limiters than 108 mph. What if you have an emergency? or you are passing a semi on a 2 lane road and they speed up going downhill? or some nut is trying to catch you? and your car goes dead! Most cavaliers come from the factory with cheap tires which is the reason for the speed limiter. Put on Michelin hydoedge tires and discover the vast improvement in handling, stopping power and solidness.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search