Hey im new here and got a few questions - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hey im new here and got a few questions
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 12:31 PM
hey guys im new to the site and just have a few questions. first let me say that, I bought a 1997 cavalier z24 about a year ago with a thrown rod. well just this past week i finally bought a motor with very low miles on it, and installed it. so far i am very pleased with the car.. it's the first 4 cylinder non turbo motor that i have really liked. the first time i timed my 0-60 i pulled a 7.8, i was like wow with not much work this will easily be a low 15s car. so my questions are......
what type of sparks plugs should i run?
what kind of gains can i expect from the usual intake, header, and exhaust?
if i buy the lightened underdrive pulley of ebay do i have to buy a new belt and has anybody done this mod, and have they noticed any difference?
and my last question is very technical...
the engine i installed was from a 2001 grand am, everything matched up, except for what i THINK is the oil pressure sending unit. the sensor is located on the back side of the motor towards the bottom of the block, next to the flywheel. the orginal motors sensor only had one wire coming out of it but the motor out of the grand am has two wires. and i cant simply change them because the older sensor has bigger threads. so how can i convert the new sensor to only using one wire? is maybe one wire a ground?
anyhow help with any of this will be greatly appreciated... oh and also if you can give me some other performance enhancing advise... because i got beat by a 2000 civic si the other day and i dont want that to happen again

thanks again
josh

Re: Hey im new here and got a few questions
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 1:01 PM
welp sounds like a great place to start my man. I got a sunfire GT with an intake and a RKsport crank pulley, and splitfire plugs motorwize
webpage> http://www.cardomain.com/id/littlefoot69 < everything else

i would recommend these 2 mods first very nice power gain for a pretty low price( i'm sure you can find them somewhere besides rksport )
the crank pulley gives you a nice powerband kick from 3500rpm to the redline and with the crank pulley you need a new smaller belt

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 1:25 PM
i dont know about the headers, i kept my stock ones, but I do have an intake and dual exhaust. The exhaust didn't do much; I hear that singles are better for NA engines and duals are better for turbo. From the dual magnaflow system i got... say... ,maybe 5 extra horses. The intake (from rksport) made a noticable difference though, with more torque for sure. Id say 10hp from that..

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 1:34 PM
Sounds like that could be the knock sensor, but I'm not sure. I know between 99-00 they changed the design and the number of wires needed.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 1:56 PM
I think you can reuse the old knock sensor when changing to the 00+ 2.4L
You just need to tap out the hole so it fit the older k.s.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search