Should I use a higher octane gas? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Should I use a higher octane gas?
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 9:49 AM
First, I'm not a stock car. I actually have motor work done. I just had an Patriot Performance Stage II P & P head with some goodies installed the other day with J-body performance cams installed with it. I had a friend suggest that now I have more motor work done I should use a higher octane gas cause right now I'm still using Regular.

From what I was told before I should only go a higher octane if I did something to make my compression higher or using nitrous. What do you guys think? Should I stay? Should I change?

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Re: Should I use a higher octane gas?
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 9:50 AM
by the way, special thanks to Hypsy for helping me purchase the head and taking my early morning phone calls LOL

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 9:54 AM
i would start running at least 91 octane right now. if you bump up compression, run nitrous, or boost, i would use none less than 93 octane. but you are good on 91. If you have BP gas stations around your area, they sell 92 for the same price as 91 at others.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 10:47 AM
Why don't you take it to a dyno and see if you need it?

Originally posted by MSD
I have an 03 5-speed Cavy, and when I race.. I shift at 6300-6500. That method (coupled with the fact that the guy probably couldn't drive for @!#$) allowed me to keep up with/have a slight lead on an 04 Mustang GT.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 10:52 AM
no problem man. glad i could help you out. just quit waking me up LOL. oh well. i needed to get or i was gonna sleep through my doctors appointment. HA

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 11:06 AM
I could be wrong but i see no sense in upping the gas, you don't have a turbo, supercharger or even upped the compression ratio, you engine i don't think is knocking so. I don't have a P&P but i have cams and i noticed no difference in running higher octane gas. I am still running regular gas.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 11:10 AM
no need to run higher octane.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 11:31 AM
adam I wish you would have asked me about this before posting

there's no need for higher octane without changing compression or boosting

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 11:39 AM
KC Absolute Performance wrote:i would start running at least 91 octane right now. if you bump up compression, run nitrous, or boost, i would use none less than 93 octane. but you are good on 91. If you have BP gas stations around your area, they sell 92 for the same price as 91 at others.

I am not a performance guru bu t i know that there is not need for higher octane. At least try and save the guys some money.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 12:12 PM
no need to run higher octane.
if you have turbo, supercharger, nitrous, or higher compression then run higher octane

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 12:16 PM
Higher octane resists detonation under pressure. You've done nothing to increase the pressure that the air/fuel mixture is exposed to.

So there's your answer.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 12:53 PM
Adam , i think what you need to do here is , not upgrade the gas , but to give me your car .

That way everything will be just fine ...

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 12:58 PM
vtech power wrote:Why don't you take it to a dyno and see if you need it?

the only way you will ever know.

dan
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 1:37 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:Higher octane resists detonation under pressure. You've done nothing to increase the pressure that the air/fuel mixture is exposed to.

So there's your answer.

This is true, but (there is always a but). Truly since he has a SAFC II and it states it was tuned so high octane not really need if tune correctly, but with high octane he could turn down the SAFC and not use as much fuel.

I have cmas on my 2.4 and if I run higher octane the car just runs smoother. Does not seem to be any performance difference but runs smoother.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:14 PM
Since nobody asked, HOWS IT RUN?

I'm about to order the stage2 head, to finish off my turbo motor.

Hypsy, can you hook me up with a better price than direct from Patriot?

Thanks, and glad to see you finally got it installed!

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:25 PM
Quote:

I just had an Patriot Performance Stage II P & P head with some goodies installed the other day with J-body performance cams installed with it.

how do u like it? how much did u spend on that thing? patriot wants like 1400 for the stage 2.
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:28 PM
John H wrote:
Quote:

I just had an Patriot Performance Stage II P & P head with some goodies installed the other day with J-body performance cams installed with it.

how do u like it? how much did u spend on that thing? patriot wants like 1400 for the stage 2.

I spent just under that price. It runs great and man some nice freakin' torque. It's worth getting.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:31 PM
McNulty wrote:Since nobody asked, HOWS IT RUN?

I'm about to order the stage2 head, to finish off my turbo motor.

Hypsy, can you hook me up with a better price than direct from Patriot?

Thanks, and glad to see you finally got it installed!

Like I said in the previous post, runs great and worth getting. Trust me, it will bring your turbo out even more. Go for it!

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:32 PM
What does your car run? ANy CEL's?

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:32 PM
By the way everyone, Saturday, I'm going to the dyno to get my SAFC retuned to the head so I'll give you guys numbers and I'll scan the sheet. Also, I will probably have a video of the Dyno taking place so keep your eye out for that.

Sunday, I'm going to the track and I'll give you guys 1/4 Mile times.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 3:11 PM
Yeah I wouldn't worry about octane right now... although since a p+p allows more air in, it does in some sense increase compression because there is more air in the same space... kinda like a turbo but not as substantial and no fun VROOOOM PSHHH sound..

What I would do is take it to the dyno, get it tuned on 87, talk to the guys at the shop, and see what they think. Does the SAFC enable you to advance ignition timing? If it does there's probably some good gains to be had there, but you will DEFINITELY need to run 93 if you start advancing timing.

I don't know if i'm allowed to say this, but we played with up to 12 degrees ignition advance on rich's car, and by butt dyno, it made a big difference... at the track it was worth a full tenth over his best all motor run on the first try... probably would have been faster with more practice, but you know rich, damn nitrous junkie couldn't keep the bottle shut. Of course the advance was done with Emanage, not SAFC so i don't know if you can even do it. If you can't.... well... get a damn emanage, its better lol...

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 3:21 PM
travis I told you about the head, i can get you a good price as well but you;re not online

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 3:21 PM
Looking forward to your dyno !!

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 3:31 PM
NJs Honda Killa wrote:By the way everyone, Saturday, I'm going to the dyno to get my SAFC retuned to the head so I'll give you guys numbers and I'll scan the sheet. Also, I will probably have a video of the Dyno taking place so keep your eye out for that.

Sunday, I'm going to the track and I'll give you guys 1/4 Mile times.

Adam What track are you going to?

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 5:16 PM
YOU GOT THE HEAD INSTALLED AND DIDNT TELL ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bad adam

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search