Adding gauges - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Adding gauges
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 6:28 PM
Just got my 05 Sunfire back in oct of 04 and i love it, except for the blah gauges. Im thinking of adding a pillar pod set with a Battery gauge, oil pressure gauge, and the third one im still thinking on. My question is the sending units, where do i intall them? Will this void my warrenty? Any help as to this would be great.

Thanks Gary - Gary101386@aol.com

01 Mustang GT 5-speed V8
94 Crapalier SS 5-speed I4

Re: Adding gauges
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 6:30 PM
Voltmeter doesn't have a sending unit.

The oil pressure sending unit would probably be attached to the stock sending unit.

If you want a gauge with cool flashing lights and easy to hook up, get an air fuel gauge for your third one.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 7:04 PM

I installed these gauges on my '05 fire, and i gotta say they add nicely to interior look and dash functionality. Theyre all fairly easy to install; for a power source i just opened the dash and wired them to the little wiring bundle that goes to the factory gauge console. As to the voided warranty, as far as i know from my pontiac dealer, they can only really void the warranty on the system that you mess with. So if you blew a fuse, they wouldnt replace it for free. Who cares.

Senders are another story: it depends what you want to detect. I dont believe that you can directly wire the oil pressure gauge into the factory system; you might have to drill into something or install a t-fitting in a hose. That could POSSIBLY void an engine/powertrain warranty.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 7:07 PM
if you pan on nitrous or boost in the future. go with feul pressure, EGT, and a wideband 02

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 7:52 PM
i got a volt meter and boost gauge, one mounted on the apillar and one custom mounted to the steering column. can you guess which one went where? lol. but yea if you plan on boosting then get what 99redz24 said. i had my boost gauge on b4 my s/c went on.

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 8:51 PM
I know this is a stupid newbie qusetion but which wire do you connect to to get all the lights to come on at the same time. right now I have them running off a switch and I hate it. Also which wire do I connect to the ignition to get the gauges to come on when I turn the key. thanks

View my MySpace
Thursday, March 03, 2005 9:46 AM
use the one(i think its blue on my 98) from the stero....

Matt

Quote:

What day is it again?.... I don't sleep enough.....

Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:01 AM
what year s yours? On my '99 if you remove the steering wheel shroud at the base.. and follow it back behind the left side there's a plug-in adapter w/ a brown wire.. it is the lights wire.. (Gauges.. hvac.. corner/park lights) tie into that brown wire for the gages to have power to the lighting when you turn your lights on.. I have cobalt gauges as well 5" tach is the only one installed right now.. but i wired the lighting to the ACC so it has power & light as soon as i turn the key.. that way if it's cloudy and hard to see the tach it's illuminated and i dont have to turn on my parking lights

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
-Saint Augustine
Thursday, March 03, 2005 11:11 PM
Yay for blinky light gauges!

My 2k3 cavalier | Nebraska Region SCCA
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search