I really need some help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I really need some help
Saturday, March 05, 2005 6:18 PM
Ok, i installed my head, and i timed my cams, and reinstalled everything. I tried to start my car, and nothing happened.

I thought my cams may have been off, so i retimed them and reinstalled everything. Im 100% sure they were timed right. I tried to start, and the same thing happened. I have no idea what is wrong. The belt is moving, so i guess the engine is turning over. Maybe i'm not getting any compression, but seriously, i have no idea what is wrong.

When i turn the battery on, the cel comes on. I have all of the sensors in. After i timed the cams, i turned the crank several times, i didnt notice any problems. When i went to time the cams the second time, i noticed that the cams didn't move at all from the first time.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong. I'm open to anything. Do you guys think it would be easier to just get it towed to a mechanic. I really do not see what is wrong.

Re: I really need some help
Saturday, March 05, 2005 7:12 PM
you need to give more information then, nothing happend. When ur turning it over, does it sound like it wants to go?, what does it sound like, i would check the fuel system, if its cranking over, its timed right, its a good chance it has to deal with fuel, i would take out a plug and see if it is wet, see if there is fuel getting into this thing, it could be a million other things tho, especially with installing a new head
Saturday, March 05, 2005 7:26 PM
it does sound like it wants to go when i try. I hear a pop then i hear the trying to start noise.
If the fuel is the problem, how do i fix it?
Saturday, March 05, 2005 9:35 PM
we'll, i dunno, it could be anythign in the fuel system if it is, anywhere from the tb to the pump, anything, but if i was u, i would just do aything to get it going, cuz once it starts, and runs for a little, and quits or it does whatever it wants, it will be easier to tell what is wrong, if it was my car, this is what i would do, im nto telling u to do this, cuz it could possibly hurt ur engine, i did this to a couple piece of @!#$ cars taht wouldnt start, i squirted either into the intake, a short little squirt, IM BY NO MEANS advising ths because it will dry out ur cylinder walls, either does that, so obviously, u have a new head, and quite a bit of money stuck into that motor, so i wouldnt do taht, i would prolly prime the cylinders with gasoline, and if it starts, but then quits, i would keep priming it and see if it will finally start running and stay by itself, but if it runs, and quits, runs and quits everytime u prime it, then obviously it is the fuel system, or u could spend some money, take it to a mechanic, and they can put it on their computer to see what is wrong with it, if that doesnt show anything, they will still be able to tell u what is wrong with it, and if they cant find out what is wrong, then ur f-ed, but they would get it for u i think
Sunday, March 06, 2005 5:21 PM
did you take your valve springs out and everything? if so , did you put the intake valve springs compressors/rotators back in. i didnt do that when i did mine and i sound like it is doing the same to you. you are not getting compression. they go on the bottom of your springs and keeps your valves tight. make sure they are there first and then if they arent let me know.
Sunday, March 06, 2005 5:39 PM
I didnt take the valves out because the head came assembled, but i have the rockers and pivioters in. I'm going to tow it to a mechanic tomorrow, and im going to take it apart to the cams, and he'll check everything.

Come to think of it now, it might be the compression. I remeber the intake rocker arms being loose when the lobes were up, but the exhaust ones were a little tight. That could mean that the valves are being pushed down thus loosing compression. I really hope that is the problem because i have checked everything else and i dont see what is wrong.

Once i can figure this out, changing cams shouldnt be any problem. I bought some stage 1 cams for now, hopefully i will get them in a week or so. Also, i'm learning about cars as i go along, and i must say, i have learned a ton doing this.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search