Resonator - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Resonator
Monday, March 07, 2005 4:34 AM
Do you guys recommend a resonator for a 2200 with 4-2-1 header, magnaflow high flow cat, and borla exhaust? if so, how big and what kind?

Re: Resonator
Monday, March 07, 2005 5:06 AM
go to justmagnaflow.com and get part number 14461, 14462, or 14463. or maybe even a larger one. i have the pacesetter header w/ a 26 inch resonator. sounds low and mellow. not loud at all

Land Pirates sail the open roads
DISCLAIMER: If anything I say offends you, I don't care..wear a helmet. Also, the information
I post is what I know to the best of my knowledge. If I am wrong, please correct me so that
others as well as myself may learn.
Premium sinc 6-17-04
Monday, March 07, 2005 8:57 AM
if you install a resonator does it take away any performance from the car...? we need all we can pinch out of the 2.2....

Matt

Quote:

What day is it again?.... I don't sleep enough.....

Monday, March 07, 2005 10:17 AM
if your resonator is a louvered core it will. this means that it has little louvers sticking up into the exhaust flow. a perforated core like the magnaflow resonators does NOT restrict the exhaust flow

DISCLAIMER: If anything I say offends you, I don't care..wear a helmet. Also, the information
I post is what I know to the best of my knowledge. If I am wrong, please correct me so that
Premium sinc 6-17-04
Monday, March 07, 2005 10:41 AM
so louvered like the pacesetter muffler...?

so if i swap the muffler and put a resonator both magnaflow then i would gain more performance... or are all mufflers louvered like that?

ps dont mean to jack the thread rich..

Matt

Quote:

Monday, March 07, 2005 11:46 AM
cant you just use a cherry bomb in place of the resonator? it looks like the same damn thing,,,only cheaper

^ my first love ^

~makin people look silly is the most important thing in life :o)
Monday, March 07, 2005 12:00 PM
haha it's cool redcavi...i think i'm gonna go without a resonator first and see how that sounds

Monday, March 07, 2005 12:05 PM
my setup is pc 4-1 magna cat and pc cat back and it screams like a mofo at high rmp very annoying....

Matt

Quote:

Monday, March 07, 2005 12:21 PM
Sorry to jack the thread again Rich...but where have you found a 4-2-1 header for the 2200? I see that your profile says that you are looking at the HP Racing 4-2-1 header for the 2200, but I checked their site and all I could find was a 4-1 stainless header. I have yet to find a 4-2-1 for the 2200. Does anyone know of any?

Monday, March 07, 2005 12:35 PM
Thanks Rich, but I am still skeptical...if you look at the provided picture in that link, it clearly shows a 4-1 design header, instead of the listed 4-2-1 design. I think we all know you have to be careful ordering stuff on the internet, especially when pictures don't match descriptions. I know I've gotten my fair share of purchases that don't look anything like the pictured or described product. Does anyone else know for sure if that header is 4-2-1 or if anyone makes a 4-2-1 header for a 98-02 2200?

Monday, March 07, 2005 3:04 PM
well i'll be ordering mine in 2 weeks when i get home from vegas...if i'm not broke

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 12:16 AM
jzchev28 wrote:cant you just use a cherry bomb in place of the resonator? it looks like the same damn thing,,,only cheaper
the inside of a cherry bomb is only 2" so it will not be good to use with a 2.25" exhaust system.

see ya!

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 3:00 AM
i dont know if anybody makes a 4-2-1 for the 98+ 2200. i would just get the pacesetter ceramic coated one. its actually a real nice header.

Premium sinc 6-17-04
Friday, March 11, 2005 1:34 PM
Well...as far as my header choice goes, here is my reasoning:

I like torque more than I like hp, especially for everyday driving use. I don't do any track racing, or driving fast top end on the street, so hp isn't much use for me. The 2200 engines have, in my opinion, a large amount of torque for their displacement and design (135) compared to hp (115). So, instead of buying a 4-1 design header and sacrificing torque for the already sub-standard hp rating, I would rather increase the already impressive amount of torque from a smaller engine with a 4-2-1 header.

I've never seen a true 4-2-1 header made for a 98+ 2200 engine and was just wondering if it's even been made. Does anyone else know?

Friday, March 11, 2005 4:08 PM
just for the he!! of it, i looked at jegs, and they have Dynomax glasspacks for like $18. they are perforated core. and from what i have heard you can just use a glasspack instead of a resonator and it will do the exact same thing, this will just save money. the one i saw was part # 289-24201, its a 24" one.

this is my sig
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search