A/F Ratio guage hookup - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A/F Ratio guage hookup
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 12:29 PM
Just bought a Autometer A/F guage from a friend of mine and i want to hook it up. On my friends integra we were able to just cut the stripping off one of the wires to his ECU and solder the wire to it, i was wondering if there is a wire on our ECU for the same. I have a 96 Z24. I looked in my haynes and it said that the Pre-cat 02 sensor wire was purple but that either didnt work or my car is running rich constantly......any suggestions

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan

Re: A/F Ratio guage hookup
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 12:47 PM
that A/F gauge is just a light show. it really dont do anything. a wideband 02 is the way to for A/F gauges.

anyway, i think you hook up a wire to the 02 sensor in our cars. not sure which one

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 12:51 PM
i only spent 20 bucks on the thing, it just fills my guage pillar

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 12:55 PM
Im guessing there should be one from the ECU, but i need to know the color...

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 12:57 PM
99redz24 wrote:that A/F gauge is just a light show. it really dont do anything. a wideband 02 is the way to for A/F gauges.

anyway, i think you hook up a wire to the 02 sensor in our cars. not sure which one

Really, you need to stop saying that. Wideband isn't the end-all either, and a normal A/F "narrowband" gauge IS ACCURATE, but only at wide open throttle, when the car is in open loop mode. During closed loop mode the sensor is providing feedback to the ECU, during open loop mode the sensor isn't being used to control the fuel, but still lets you see if you are rich or lean.

It may flicker back and forth, but it definately is more than an expensive lightshow. The only reason a wideband is more liked is because instead of a 0-5v or 0-2v sensor, the wideband is a 0-10v sensor, and has a higher range of accuracy. The reason the wideband doesn't flicker is because the brainbox does an averaging (lamda) calculation on a set of readings at the time.

So yes, the gauge is accurate, only when you are at wide open throttle though. It won't tell you if you are perfect, but it will give you an idea if you are too lean.

Please stop knocking the A/F gauge, it does exactly what it is designed to do. The ECU is what causes it to flicker.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 12:59 PM
Boardorgohome wrote:Im guessing there should be one from the ECU, but i need to know the color...

If you find your O2 sensor thats in the manifold, and follow the wire (or wires) up to the harness it plugs into, you'll find a purple wire. Just tap into that purple wire, after the harness (not on the sensor side of the clip, on the other side).

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 1:42 PM
its easier to get to our o2 sensor then it is to get to the pcm

since it is burried under the right front corner of the bumper

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 1:52 PM
well im SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry Master Shifted

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 2:07 PM
99redz24 wrote:well im SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry Master Shifted

I'm not trying to sound "holier than thou", just I see you saying that its a waste of money everytime somebody asks about it, and it really isn't. I just don't think people should get the idea that the only way to monitor the A/F ratio is a $300 sensor and gauge. I mean, I would not have put one on my own car had I thought that it was a waste of money and an expensive lightshow, it really does its job if you know when to use it. Very true that it should not be used as a tuning device, but on a full throttle run down the track, a quick glance will tell you if you are in the danger area or not.

Take it with a grain of salt man, I'm no better than anybody else here and I know I screw up on some of the information I give. I'll buy ya a beer and we'll both have a good laugh at the misinformation I've spread throughout the org in the past couple years .

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 2:13 PM
99redz24 wrote:well im SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry Master Shifted

sorry about that. ive been in a pissy mood latley

but its all cool on my end

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 2:41 PM
99redz24 wrote:that A/F gauge is just a light show. it really dont do anything. a wideband 02 is the way to for A/F gauges.

^^ Again 99redZ's right ^^

You have to actually wire the wire to O2 sensor. Meaing after the sensor but before the factory plug. between the two, if you don't it wont work correctly or be able to give a reading I believe. I hooked min up right the first time, so i dunno how it'd look if i did it wrong. just remember After the Sensor.. before the plug. there's about i think 7" of wire you can tie into...

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
-Saint Augustine

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 2:47 PM
i have an a-f gauge on my '05 sunfire... different cars but might not be too difficult to do.... There are TWO O2 sensors. One after the cat converter, one before, right by the headers. You want that one. I could NOT reach it by hand, its too far down there. If you visually follow the wires though, you should be able to see where they go into a bundle to the pcm. The purple on is the one you want, although there may be three or more wires from the sensor, if its heated. A shop manual can help you too.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search