engin swap options - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
engin swap options
Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:19 PM
I don't know if this has been asked on here or not so forgive me if it has. I was wondering would a newer Grand am engin fit in my '95 Sunfire? I would think I would need the transmission with the engin for it to work. Is there enough room in my engin bay to fit in a V6 without major modification? I don't think this is something I could really do but I always wondered if you could do it. I think I would need the V6 engin the transmission probably the computer to run it. Would you need the gauge cluster too, they look pretty close. My car is a '95 Sunfire GT 4 speed auto with the 2.3L quad 4. I think if you could get it in there my car would haul ass seeing how it's quite a bit smaller car. Well let me know what you think. Thanks

Re: engin swap options
Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:22 PM
people have swapped in the 3800 supercharged engine and thats a v6.
anything is possible with enough money

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:28 PM
How does that 3800 fit? What is that out of a Grand prix GTP or a bonneville? what kind of numbers does that put out?
Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:38 PM
240 hp, does it matter what it was out of, they were all the same?????? i dunno the tq, i think like 260 or 280, but yea, it would haul some major sh*t, how does it fit, i bet it fits like a midgets wiener in a 2 dollar hooker, nono, j/k its probably tight
Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:44 PM
240 hp would be sweet, I would say you could upsize the turbo but sounds like it's tight as it is. Does anybody know anybody on here who has done this swap and lived to talk about it?
Thursday, March 10, 2005 10:32 PM
newtuner wrote:240 hp would be sweet, I would say you could upsize the turbo but sounds like it's tight as it is. Does anybody know anybody on here who has done this swap and lived to talk about it?

A guy named raven has (the 3800 swap that is). It was a major undertaking which I believe required altering the frame a bit, and it was a tight fit. However, on the upside he putting out (at the wheels) somewhere in the neighborhood of 245hp, and 260tq. Her's a link to a post he made, covering the swap:
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&i=117932&t=117932
By the way man. Don't be afraid to use the search button at the top of the page. You can find TONS of useful info by searching. especially on a subject such as this one that has been hammered over and over.

Tim

"Hey man is that a Cavalier?" "Yeah." What you got in it?" "It's stock." "Oh."
Dimebag
Darrell
Abbott
R.I.P
8/20/66
12/8/04
Friday, March 11, 2005 9:59 AM
Quote:

newtuner
Yesterday 11:44 PM

240 hp would be sweet, I would say you could upsize the turbo but sounds like it's tight as it is. Does anybody know anybody on here who has done this swap and lived to talk about it?

upsize what turbo? its supercharged dude...

the 3.1 and the 3.4 engines fit in pretty nicely... you don't have to do major modification to the subframe of the car to get them to fit... you just have to fab up some motor mounts. The 60 degree v6s even bolt up to 5 speed transmissions in our cars... but the computer stuff tends to be a bit confusing to get it all to work like stock

Raven did the s/c 3800 in his car and a guy named Mr Goodwrench is putting a 3400 in his car... although his projects been taking a long time cuz he's doing a bunch of other stuff too (TEC 3 stand alone).

look in the 3rd gen forum for "3400 swap" or something... it's a very large post with 600+ replies... read thru that and get the learn on

Friday, March 11, 2005 10:20 AM
^ Just to clarify that, the 3x00 engines bolt up to the 2.2 transmissions in our cars, not the 2.2 Eco or 2.4 ones.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, March 11, 2005 6:34 PM
I looked at that post by raven that thing is one crazy car. Looks like a lot of work but a bunch of fun. Ya sorry I ment the SC not turbo, brain fart I guess. Are the 3.1 3.4 the V6 engins that went into the Grand AMs? The 3800 did look like a tight fit I would think the GA engins are a little smaller and would slide in there real nice. Well I guess I'm off to do a little reading ha ha.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search