Short block V8 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Short block V8
Sunday, March 06, 2005 1:17 AM
How does a short block V8 compare to the size of the say 60 degree engines of the V6 3.4? I'm mainly curious because my dad put a short block into the CJ7 jeep before I got it, and that engine bay did not look very big at all. I'm tempted to just go to a salvage yard and pick up a block for around 150-300 and build it from bare block. Not by myself, oh no but with my dad. He rehauled his 1970 Chevel to easily out perform the 454, he's also redone the older 70's GTO's and 2 jeeps he's owned. He'll help me aslong as I fund everything. But he'll probably chip in for the smaller things knowing him. He says it would be a good thing form learning how to rebuild an engine.

I have my doubts that the short block would ever fit in the cavi...actually do they make one cut for fwd? Other than that I might just pick up the lowest milage 3.4-3.1 bare block at a salvage yard.

Although the V8 would be mighty shocking in a cavi lol.

I know this all sounds dumb but I do not know the deminsions of the short block....but if what my dad's 65 chevy is a short block no way in @!#$! thats bigger than my car

Re: Short block V8
Sunday, March 06, 2005 2:42 AM
People asking about a V8 cavy/suny - 1000000000000000000 people

People that did it - 3-4 people

Just do a search, there's a ton of post like yours.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, March 06, 2005 6:01 AM
Quote:

How does a short block V8 compare to the size of the say 60 degree engines of the V6 3.4? I'm mainly curious because my dad put a short block into the CJ7 jeep before I got it, and that engine bay did not look very big at all.

How did it run with no heads??

I think you mean small block..

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Sunday, March 06, 2005 6:13 AM
^^^^ LMAO I was thinking the same thing... I'm like @!#$ I can fit short block in my trunk hahahah

Sunday, March 06, 2005 8:03 AM
ya he must mean long block small block.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Sunday, March 06, 2005 9:26 AM
Yeah small block, sorry. i worte that at 3 in the morning after a very long day. Sorry guys.
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 8:18 AM
it's been done. mostly on drag cars where the only thing that is J body are the body panels, i.e. tube frame chassis. the only front drive v8's i can think of are caddy's northstar, i forget what what was in the toronado. anyway the chance of getting a small block to fit transversely are about impossible. or you could get an iron duke, it's a 305 cut in half. it'll do the quarter in 10 flat (minutes) when it's stock.
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 10:38 AM
there was a cavy for sale on ebay w/ a 454 in it so its possible

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 2:50 PM
possible, if you want to kill yourself. These cars are not meant for that kind of engine; you would have to change so many other things first. If you're not extremely experienced with pretty much rebuilding a car, it shouldnt be done. (except for my V12 biturbo sunfire with APC stickers.)

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 3:21 PM
How about the new LS4. Thats the nwe engine in the 2005 Mote Carlo SS & Impala SS.
325HP 327cid fwd V8 Cavalier......................

Ohh that would be SWEET!
Will GMPP release a crate engine?

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 4:10 PM
F-that put the new Cady V-16 in. rwd. 1,000hp 980 ft lb. at a weight of only 800 lb. i wish. by the way boys that is N/A. I was thinking about putting in the LS7 with the Corvette drive line., after i put in a fulll roll cage. Rwd

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 8:15 PM
First: Any beefed small block can smoke a stock 454, but the old addage "there's no replacement for displacement" stands true. Otherwise, there'd be no reason for there to be a 454. Spend as much on a 454, as on a small block chevy, and I guarntee the 454 will have more hp/tq... as long as you have enough room to fit it in something.

Second: Why not a 3.4 twin cam?

Third: One day I will have it... A 4.2L (strait 6 twin cam in the chevy suv's with vvt might I add) AWD Turbo'd Second Gen J. Might as well go orgional if you're gonna dump thousands of dollars into something that wasn't meant to go that fast.

Lastly, Does your dad have a CJ7 layin' around that runsish that he wants to get rid of cause my buddy is lookin' for one.
Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:46 PM
obviously u can make more hp with a 454, u could make more horsepower then any engine then any engine, if that makes any sense, but a small block chevy is probably the MOST popular engine block taht has ever lived, and people have put out some HUGE numbers with them, so, i would much rather save on size and weight, and put a 350 in a car than a 454, just my 2cents......p.s....for my birthday, any1 wanna buy me that twin turbo kit for small block chevys(i think banks makes it) so i can put it on my 73 nova, on a blazer frame, on 35 inch swampers, with a 350? <-----getting restored, my dad built it when he was in high school, got all rusty cuz he took it through many streams, so i pulled it in last year, and nows shes under the knife
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search