Whats a good upgrade - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Whats a good upgrade
Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:19 AM
I have an 03 cavalier with a cold air intake (AEM) and i was wondering what next. I was thinking header (DC Sports 4:2:1) but wasnt sure how that worked out for people. Also whats a good exhaust system for this car. Not many people around my town look for power out of J-body.

Re: Whats a good upgrade
Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:50 AM
lots of people go with a pacesetter ceramic coated header.

Quote:

Also whats a good exhaust system for this car

custom. have a local exhaust shop to do it for you

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:00 AM
Why the pacesetter header. What makes that so good. What do you mean custom? I dont understand
Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:05 AM
Custom meaning ~> go to a local muffler/exhaust/ or speed shop and let them do a custom work instead of buying a cat-back exhuast system. Its more expensive but they will get what you want.

I got stock headers ( looking to get replaced ) with magna flow cat. conv and custom 2.75 piping with no resonator and dual muffler exhaust with silncer and i like it. Not that respy sound but good enough for me.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:27 AM
Um, usually custom exhausts come out cheaper than the pre-mades.

Originally posted by MSD
I have an 03 5-speed Cavy, and when I race.. I shift at 6300-6500. That method (coupled with the fact that the guy probably couldn't drive for @!#$) allowed me to keep up with/have a slight lead on an 04 Mustang GT.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:35 AM
vtech power wrote:Um, usually custom exhausts come out cheaper than the pre-mades.

VTECH <~ isnt that a import ? ( HONDA - ACURA )

well if you knew my custom work and what i did, mine is more expensive, costed me about $500 for the cat-back system but i gaurntee that nobody else has done what i done.

Sorry didnt mean to bash your poast dude.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:08 PM
$500 for a cat-back ? Pipe and muffler, why so much?

About the header, i have a pacesetter, i like it. Its a 4-1 which is for top end.
You mentioned a 4-2-1, which will get you some low end power, go with which end you want. The pacesetter is good, but they dont have a 4-2-1. I havent heard anything about the DC sports though.
Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:23 PM
so what you are saying is you want a 4-2-1 for top end......why? these cars run 108, maybe 111 down a large hill. wouldnt you want a low to mid range power since a "speed challenge" is over way b4 108?
Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:27 PM
No, the 4-2-1 is low end.
A 4-1 will give top end, it doesnt matter what speed you are at, it increases horsepower in each gear.
Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:42 PM
you see thats what i though but i didnt want to sound like a dumb a$$ and say it. ive been all over the DSM forms and thats what all the non-turbo guys said but you guys say different. Hell the header is the start to my lil conv.
Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:53 PM
by low end he means low in the rpms the hp and tq curves will increase more and top end is increasing higher in the rpms.
Personally i think that one of the best improvements is the motor and tranny mounts.for about $120 you can get all four mounts and it feels to me like they do free up tq. plus it is a good idea to get the mounts before you get the headder to prevent stress fractures from engine rock

Friday, March 11, 2005 8:11 AM
Who makes the best motor mounts because i agree with what you are talking about i belive that i am looking more for the low end power because my car seems to pull real hard up top with that intake. But with my 4-speed auto 2nd seems really weak. almost like it boggs out. is that normal?
Friday, March 11, 2005 8:14 AM
well most poeple just go with teh rk sports motor mounts.

Friday, March 11, 2005 8:20 AM
how much do they run.
Friday, March 11, 2005 8:35 AM
my weapon R header works great --- I have a custom exhaust, magnaflow cat, resonator and muffler -- really even distribution of power -- i would recomend these parts to anyone who asked

Friday, March 11, 2005 8:38 AM
Is it true are you spraying? If so what kit i want to get one i have the money just kit shopping. right now i want the NX wet kit 75 shot.
Friday, March 11, 2005 8:44 AM
04 ecotec LS Sport wrote:my weapon R header works great --- I have a custom exhaust, magnaflow cat, resonator and muffler -- really even distribution of power -- i would recomend these parts to anyone who asked

Where did you buy your magnaflow parts? I really like the sound of that system.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search