help with O2 sensor wire problem! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help with O2 sensor wire problem!
Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:25 AM
I have a pacsetter header and as you might have guessed a check engine light because of extended wires. my CEL is no big deal but now my car is running like a john deere becase the wire extension job failed!! what should i do to get my car running normal again? this is <b>URGENT!<b/>

Re: help with O2 sensor wire problem!
Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:28 AM
Try a lower resistance, higher quality wire. There aren't much volts going through that thing, and it doesn't take much to throw it out of whack.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:31 AM
where should I get a lower resistance better quality wire? Is there anything I can do in the meantime? would my car run right if I just cut the old wire out and put a resistor on it to complete the circut?
Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:38 AM
No, the O2 sensor provides the ECU with a voltage depending on the amount of oxygen in the exhaust, not a resistance. Your problem is probably because of the extra resistance in the lengthened wire, the O2 sensor isn't providing enough of a signal to the ECU to look like its functioning properly. The only thing you can do is replace the wire and make sure the connections are really good.

Use a small solid core wire, gold plated if you can find it, RadioShack might have some.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:43 AM
OK thanks for all your help shifted. I am just frantic cuz my cavy is my baby and my daily driver. I will probably replace that wire today, but...

would this work for a permanant solution?

http://shopping.lightningmotorsports.com/customer/product.php?productid=782&cat=0&page=1#tabs
Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:54 AM
I don't think so, thats for a 4 wire sensor.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:55 AM
do they make one for the 2.2?
Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:06 AM
You'd have to ask them.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:32 AM
ive done both the 1 wire and 4 wire 2.2 and never had a problem with the wire supplied with the header , allthough the butt connectors are kinda cheap

i usually use the heatshrink style butt connectors , cause they make alot better connection and once you shrink them , they are solid , and sealed , also they are GM's recomended wire repair method

Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:34 AM
Original poster probably messed up the wiring job. I know that I came close to doing that as well, because I hurriedly snipped the o2 sensor off, without realizing that 2 of the wires were both white. With a 50-50 chance of getting it right, I soldered it back together with the extension wires, and luckily enough for me I got it right the first time.

Originally posted by MSD
I have an 03 5-speed Cavy, and when I race.. I shift at 6300-6500. That method (coupled with the fact that the guy probably couldn't drive for @!#$) allowed me to keep up with/have a slight lead on an 04 Mustang GT.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:20 AM
I went to Radio Shack and got solid copper wire! It still doesn't run right! wtf should I do now? why didn't it work?

Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:49 AM
solid copper wire is for home use , not auto motive use

its also possible the sensor was damaged from removing and reinstalling it

Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:53 AM
it ran fine for like 2 months with the wire extended...the sensor couldn't have been bad or the check engine light would have came on sooner than this!
Thursday, March 10, 2005 2:18 PM
listening...getting slow response time for o2 sensor also after installing pacesetter.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 2:48 PM
If you spliced into the wire between the plug and the sensor you just ruined it...

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 3:17 PM
I replaced the whole f*ckin O2 sensor and did NOT splice the wires this time I just opened up the wire loom and stretched it to reach! and I still am having the same problems!! could it be the O2 sensor by the the cat that is bad?!!
Thursday, March 10, 2005 3:54 PM
listening.......

---

Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:29 PM
which code are you getting?
133 is circut slow response on the header 02
130 is circut malfunction

ive gotten both its miserable

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, March 11, 2005 11:12 AM
well I figured out that it is a cylinder misfire that is causing the engiine to run poorly but while I was at it I changed the O2 sensor by the cat. got new spark plugs and now I am just waiting for my engine to cool. So I hope this fixes the problem.
Friday, March 11, 2005 12:17 PM
I have the Slow O2 sensor on my OBX but it is not running bad I just have a CEL. I am trying to fix this too....Anybody? A new sensor is only like $19 bux but I am not sure if it is the sensor itself or just the extended wiring.

Saturday, March 12, 2005 6:35 AM
no offense skilz, but i have to disagree with you. i have extended the wires on my o2 sensor and it works fine. i have no cel's or anything. everything runs fine with it. I've seen some people post that it works for them, and others that are having problems with it, so i don't know.

Saturday, March 12, 2005 8:45 AM
my car throws codes too... P0133 to be exact...slow response, bank 1 sensor 1, i have the rk 4-2-1, tried everything with no success...extended wires... new sensors...

http://members.cardomain.com/drewz24
Dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians.
Saturday, March 12, 2005 10:23 AM
Martinez wrote:no offense skilz, but i have to disagree with you. i have extended the wires on my o2 sensor and it works fine. i have no cel's or anything. everything runs fine with it. I've seen some people post that it works for them, and others that are having problems with it, so i don't know.

I never said extending the wires was bad, just as long as it the the wire that is part of the actual sensor.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search