help with swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help with swap
Monday, March 21, 2005 8:30 AM
Ok I am typically a DSM chick....but I have a 99 Sunfire now and want to make the best of it...so here it goes.....my bf's ex totalled her car (99 Z24) but there are still some good parts.....Engine, Transmission..... so anyway I wanna know if it is possible to swap the Z motor in to the Sunfire..... I know its gonna be lots of hard work....but I love the look of the fire I hate the slowness.... I want to know if it is possible and if so what all parts am I going to need.....I have a great parts car the only reason this car is being totaled is because the frame is roached....the ground effects and the passenger side are screwed, air bags deployed and smashed windsheild and the back axle is screwed..... PLEASE HELP ME......Should I buy this car or not????

Thanks
Shyanne

17.8 when your important people will wait

Re: help with swap
Monday, March 21, 2005 8:39 AM
it will be possible to swap in the 2.4 motor in your car. i take it you have the 2.2 which is SLOW!!!
go ahead and buy it

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, March 21, 2005 9:32 AM
Cool do you know anywhere or anyone I can talk to that has done this swap???? My car is very slow 2.2. I was just going to say screw the car and buy something with more power but I have a lot of great memories with this car....the new motor has 70,000 mi and mine currently has 101,000 mi......also Mine is an automatic and the tranny out of the other car is a standard yay lol...... Thank you so much for responding I need all the help I can get...

Shyanne

Monday, March 21, 2005 9:42 AM
Search. Most people get flamed for posts like this when you dont search first, but you might be priveleged.

There's lots of valuable information on this site, and it's all at your fingertips. The search button is your best friend. Enjoy your stay.

Since you have an entire donor car, your swap should be gravy.
Monday, March 21, 2005 9:24 PM
I tried the search and nothing useful came up. Can you remember anyone on this site that has actually done the swap? Thanks
Shyanne.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 5:39 AM
You gotta switch the "last 30 days" option to "archive". I like to exclude replies instead of show all posts too.

I'm pretty new around here too, so I don't "know" anyone that has done the swap, but I do know it has been done alot.
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 6:20 AM
Suncavi, C24NA, LNtwoLDninety are the ones that come to mind.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 9:44 AM
I guess this might help. For the Auto to 5 speed.

This is exactly what you need and you will also need the PCM out of a manual or just get your friends VIN number or someones that has a manual and take yours to dealership and they will reprogram it.
*2.4L tranny
*Tranny mounts
*bolts for the tranny mounts
*bolts that go through the mounts
*Chassis brackets (need to be MIG or TIG welded)
*Flywheel
*Flywheel to crank bolts
*Pressure plate
*pressure plate to flywheel bolts
*clutch plate
*alignment tool
*slave cylinder
*Both axels
*Complete front wiring harness(different sensors)
*ECU reprogrammed by GM
*Shifter
*shifting cables
*shifting cables bracket
*bolts to mount shifting cable bracket
*clutch pedal
*master cylinder with reservoar and lines

That is pretty much it, and knowing how to make it all work

Many people don't even think about the wiring harness but when you look at the plug in 4 speed trannies it has about 10-12 wires going to it and a couple of more sensors and a manual has only 2 sensors.
If you cannot get the whole wiring harness because it is expensive or something, just get the VSS pigtail off a 5 speed and the reverse taillight pigtail (those are the only pigtails on the tranny), and I will let you know how to hook those up on your automatic wiring harness. ļļ

Manual tranny has mounts on it and these mounts are bolted on to these brackets that are welded on your chassis.
So, that's what automatics lack (the brackets)
You are gonna need the junk yard to hack them off the old car so you can weld them on yours.
Also, you are gonna need to drill a hole in your firewall for the master cylinder .
Also, you are going to need to bend your front driver brake line, but don¡¦t break it!!!!

Bleed you clutch and your brakes and take it for a spin!!
As you can see, I didn¡¦t write that you have to take the dashboard off and your brake master cylinder and stuff because if you don¡¦t know that all that has to come off, you should not be doing the swap.
Also, in automatics, there is this one like a shifting cable that is under your carpet and it goes from your auto shifter to the ignition, that is there to prevent an auto tranny to be shifted by you if the keys are not in the ignition. Don¡¦t fuk with it, just disconnect it and leave it where it is because it is somehow connected with the damn ignition and you are going to have to put ignition apart to be able to pull it off.
Also, the clutch pedal sensor: The way you are going to wire this is, there are 2 wires coming out of the pedal sensor, one yellow and one purple.
There is a thick yellow wire coming out of your ignition, on the left side of the steering wheel and splice the pedal yellow into ignition yellow.
Purple goes to the engine bay, right under your clutch master cylinder (now you have one since you came this far with the swap ļļ), your wiring harness plugs one into another and there is a think yellow wire there and that is where the purple from the pedal plugs in.
The thick yellow wire is there with another 40 wires and another at least 3 yellows, but a hint to be able to find it is, it is in one of the corners, all the way in the corner and it is beefy.

If you wanna over ride the sensor, so that you don¡¦t have to push in the clutch every time you start the car, just connect those 2 wires where the pedal sensor is and pull the sensor out.
Make sure that if you bypass this every time before you start the car and the clutch is not applied, the tranny has to be out of the gear, because the car ¡¥¡¦¡¦WILL¡¦¡¦¡¦ jump!!!

All in all the work is not that bad when you think about it. LOL
I have swapped my car from a 2.2 3 speed to a 2.4 4 speed and now I am swapping in into a 5 speed and I did all this.
I have done a total of 4 swaps on Cavies including mine and all of that were manuals beside mine, so I know what I am taking about. LOL

Trust me if you are not very mechanicly inclined don't even think about performing something like this by yourself just because your friend that owns a Civic told you that it is not hard. (I had to do this)

By the way you got to decide weather you wanna go with the Isuzu tranny or Getrag because those brackets for the mounts that you are gonna need to have welded, in Getrag are 5 inches more apart than in Isuzu, and shifter and shifter cablets, etc¡K. are different.
I hope this helped

Please, do not try to sell this on E-Bay because the certain actions will be taken by me (I will E-Mail you with something fierce), this is for J-Body owners, ¡§only¡¨, and I don¡¦t know if you want to reffer to this when doing a swap in a different car, because I don¡¦t know how compatible it is.

P.S.One last thing I forgot to tell you, have fun driving your 5 speed.!!!!!!!!

And for the motor more or less , just disregard the tranny stuff.

Guide for a 2.2L to Z24 swap
96-99, 2.2L, 3speed-------------- 96-99 2.4L 4 speed
Pull the old motor and the tranny out of the car (CV axles) too. When you are buying a motor from a junk yard it is important that you don't just buy a motor but also, alternator, AC compressor, starter, coil pack, mounts, front wiring harness, cooling hoses, vacuum lines.
Harness is very important.
It is not that hard, but time consuming when you are putting the 2.4L motor i everything should bolt on but some things like:
the bottom motor mount needs to be swapped front to back.
in 3 to 4 speed instance you need tranny mount for 4 speed.
PNP bracket ( Parking Neutral Position) bracket.
return power steering hose is going to be extended.
3 speed has 2 different length axles and you are gonna need 4 speed axles cause they are the same length. (female and male)
bell housing is different and the tranny.
4 speed tranny cooling lines ( Hint: goes from radiator to tranny ) and exhaust work.
Those are the problems that you are gonna have.
Front wiring harness is gonna plug in, same
Fuses are the same
Upper mount the same
Ac outlets, that go into firewall are the same
Fan blower is the same
Fuel lines ( quick disconnect ) are the same.
AC lines are the same but the compressor and compressor bracket are not.
Shifter, is the same, but you might wanna change the cable because if you leave 3 speed cable you WILL NOT have PARKING GEAR, only half of it.
Cable is not long enough to reach.
You will have to shift the car in the Parking as far forward as you can cause it gets stuck somewhat in P, turn it off, and pull E brake.
When you start it you put it in N and you do it.
Also your gears are going to work like this 1, 2, D, N, R, P
1,2, 3, D, N, R, P
See your D is going to be 3rd gear in the new tranny, your N is going to be Overdrive in new tranny, your R is going to be Neutral, your P is going to be Reverse, and you will have Parking about half of it.
When I say half of it means, if you leave it in parking and let your foot of the brake, after about 10 seconds it will slowly start rolling backwards (the car), till it is fully in Reverse.
That's all I could think about the swap and that is pretty much it.
Hint: you might run into other problems like injectors clogged, EGR valve bad, you can use your 2.2 stuff till you get the 2.4. Shops won't tell you that.

Theft system: If you got it all done and you are about to crank the motor and it starts for 1 second and it shuts off.
Go in the car and look at the THEFT SYSTEM lamp blinking in the gauge cluster, leave ignition on for over 10 minutes till it stays on permenantly and crank it again, it will start.
( Proven Fact by me)
Reprogramming of PCM: Got to Chevy , pay $60, give them VIN #of a donor car and they ll do it in about 3 minutes flat.

If you need info about 96-99, 2.2L 4 speed--------96-99, 2.4L 4 speed I can help you with that.
I ll write a guide
The only thing that you do different is change the bell housing on the tranny, and you don¡¦t need the axles, bracket for the cable tranny lines, cause you already got them.

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search