Full ECOTEC Build Guide w/PN and Links - Page 4 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Full ECOTEC Build Guide w/PN and Links
Friday, January 20, 2006 9:35 PM
Sorry bout the cav thing. Im just a Noob. Anyway thanks for the help.

"Smoked"

Friday, January 20, 2006 9:38 PM
bdubs wrote:Sorry bout the cav thing. Im just a Noob. Anyway thanks for the help.

It's no problem. If you didn't know, I'm the King of Newbies as well so I don't mind you guys

If you have any further questions, you can post here or post in the newbies forum and I'll see it and help you out.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:05 AM
what about the valve rain ther build book says you can change it to get a wider RPM band....what parts and companies are there for this!

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:35 AM
Anthony George wrote:what about the valve rain ther build book says you can change it to get a wider RPM band....what parts and companies are there for this!

It's quite an extensive thing to do...

You would need to get stronger springs, retainers, higher lift camshafts, port the cylinder head for more CFM & remove the RPM Limiter. I mean, you could gain more power in higher RPMs but the reason GM did so was for drag reasons and they were running boost (of course). They had turbos to keep their RPM Powerband strong all throughout. When you want to do something like this on an N/A vehicle, you're messing with your powerband by raising it and losing torque (assuming you haven't done anything compression wise).

On a street setup, I wouldn't try and go higher than 7,000...any higher isn't really necessary.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:03 PM
Question for Adam,

Is the RSM racing TB bored to 62mm or is the inlet 62 mm. I have an RK sport high flow intake and I wanted to know if it would fit or would I have to get a new intake to fit the new TB.

"Smoked"
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:52 PM
Hey Adam,

Did you say that you had the Auto trans interceptor? Where does it plug in, and do you have to program it or is it a plug and go without any modifications.

Thanks always for your help.

"Smoked"
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 3:59 AM
bdubs wrote:Question for Adam,

Is the RSM racing TB bored to 62mm or is the inlet 62 mm. I have an RK sport high flow intake and I wanted to know if it would fit or would I have to get a new intake to fit the new TB.

I believe when they determine the size of a TB, it's the inlet diameter size. In reality, this throttle body is your stock throttle body, which stock is about 56 MM...all they did was bore it out and fit a new butterfly, so it's not the exterior that changes, it's the inside of it that changes, this is why it's still able to fit on your car afterwards...they bored the material of the inside down to increase the size.

As far as what intake you would need, it doesn't matter. Since the physical exterior aspects of the throttle body hasn't changed, there should be actually no difference on how it fits.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 4:02 AM
bdubs wrote:Hey Adam,

Did you say that you had the Auto trans interceptor? Where does it plug in, and do you have to program it or is it a plug and go without any modifications.

Thanks always for your help.

It plugs in between your transmission cable and (I believe it's called the) engine cable. Yes, takes a couple minutes to do to install, plug and play and you adjust it yourself.

Maybe today I'll take pictures of it or do an actual thread on how to install it.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 10:17 AM
Sweet deal man,

how do you adjust the pressure? is there like switches and stuff or is it an electronic deal?
Does it come with a manual on how to adjust the pressure? Thanks Adam

"Smoked"
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 10:43 AM
bdubs wrote:Sweet deal man,

how do you adjust the pressure? is there like switches and stuff or is it an electronic deal?
Does it come with a manual on how to adjust the pressure? Thanks Adam

Nah, no manual needed. You would need like a very small flat head screw driver. What you do is stick the screw driver in (how erotic lol) and twist it clockwise to increase pressure. If you had it in your hands you would know exactly what I'm talking about, trust me.

Here are the pictures...I decided not to uninstall it cause it was too cold outside

This is the interceptor

You take one connector from the interceptor and plug it into the connector that was going into the transmission

and the other connector plugs into the transmission

as you complete it, you'll see why they call it an "interceptor"

Hopefully that helps.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 11:43 AM
ok it looks like this is on the right side of the engine under the oil filter. I have not had the chance to look under my hood yet, it is cold and snowing where I am. Is the stock piece similar to the interceptor? It looks like you just have to un hook the stock part and plug in the interceptor in its stead.

What does your performance look like with the interceptor? Does your car shift really hard when you are just driving around town or is it realatively smooth transition.

"Smoked"

Thursday, January 26, 2006 4:27 PM
i am wondering for when i do boost it with the Hahn racecraft kit....maybe even a bigger turbo than the 16 g they give you with the kit....

Thursday, January 26, 2006 5:50 PM
I got another question

I was talking with my brother about the 62 mm tb and he was saying that it would lower my power range with out having a turbo or s/c because with n/a the engine would take in more air but it would not push it through the engine as fast.

example large Jack in the box straw = more soda less velocity/suction
smaller Mcdonalds straw = less soda more velocity/ suction

Is this the same for the larger tb? Anyone with the new tb notice any difference after install?

"Smoked"
Thursday, January 26, 2006 5:54 PM
Quote:

Brian (Bleco)
Today 2:29 PM

I wondering what all you guys have your autotrans intercetor dials set at...I've never work with one of these before, so any advice would be great....when I open the casing..there are two dial...a left and right....currently I have the left one seat a little less than one, and the right at the minimum....I bought it used, so I don't have any instructions...thanks in advance...

what say you Adam?

"Smoked"
Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:48 PM
bdubs wrote:I got another question

I was talking with my brother about the 62 mm tb and he was saying that it would lower my power range with out having a turbo or s/c because with n/a the engine would take in more air but it would not push it through the engine as fast.

example large Jack in the box straw = more soda less velocity/suction
smaller Mcdonalds straw = less soda more velocity/ suction

Is this the same for the larger tb? Anyone with the new tb notice any difference after install?

For once, someones relative is correct lol

Velocity is a big issue with modifying because airflow is a main part of performance. It's good to increase airflow but to a degree. The 62 MM isn't TOO TOO big, just isn't really good for an N/A setup in my opinion.

What it will do is raise your powerband and in that you'll lose low end power (torque) but might gain in your higher end (gain a bit more horsepower)...but these are all mights. This also depends on your modifications etc etc on how it will effect your car, every application is different but results are generally the same.

I noticed a slightly better pull when accelerating in mid-range but I also have more modifications than just regular bolt ons.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:49 PM
Quote:

I wondering what all you guys have your autotrans intercetor dials set at...I've never work with one of these before, so any advice would be great....when I open the casing..there are two dial...a left and right....currently I have the left one seat a little less than one, and the right at the minimum....I bought it used, so I don't have any instructions...thanks in advance...

There really is no right set amount to go for...it's more of a "try it out" kind of thing. Mine is about half way through if I can remember but I haven't touched that thing since I put it in.

Saturday, February 04, 2006 4:15 AM
Hey Adam, in regards to the GMPP/Racing Adjustable cam gear set, would tossing these in cause any issues with the stock computer? The block will be stock short of a PnP for the upcoming turbo setup (the one I bought the manifold off you for). Standalone is not in the plans for this year. Any issues or preparations needed to accomodate these into an ecotec setup?
Saturday, February 04, 2006 5:21 AM
Alero SS wrote:Hey Adam, in regards to the GMPP/Racing Adjustable cam gear set, would tossing these in cause any issues with the stock computer? The block will be stock short of a PnP for the upcoming turbo setup (the one I bought the manifold off you for). Standalone is not in the plans for this year. Any issues or preparations needed to accomodate these into an ecotec setup?

Honestly, I don't know if there is any computer issues. I doubt if you put it on set at 0 there will be any issues but it would also be a waste of money to do that. Our cam timing is actually pretty dead on stock and unless you are running a high amount of horsepower, adding these and trying to adjust them would be a waste of my money.

Of course, make sure you have a professional install these.

Saturday, February 04, 2006 6:36 AM
Oh, pro install would be guaranteed, Im just considering picking them up, not neccessarily for this year, but rather once I have the forged internals next year, and a few other goodies that might complement the gears
Saturday, February 04, 2006 6:51 AM
Alero SS wrote:Oh, pro install would be guaranteed, Im just considering picking them up, not neccessarily for this year, but rather once I have the forged internals next year, and a few other goodies that might complement the gears

Ok, either way this is one of those modifications you would need to do on a dyno. By the way, in order to change the timing, you have to take off the valve cover, change the timing, put the valve cover back on and do another run so this could be very time consuming and money consuming on a dyno.

Saturday, February 04, 2006 10:55 AM
Bah, taking off the valve cover doesnt scare me, but you make a good point. Thanks.

Cheers

Saturday, February 04, 2006 11:58 AM
Alero SS wrote:Bah, taking off the valve cover doesnt scare me, but you make a good point. Thanks.

Cheers

Wasn't really a scare tactic, just keeping you informed

If you have more questions, just ask.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 8:52 AM
Thanks

SPA13602\My Documents\My Pictures\panties.jpg
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 11:00 PM
I got a few questions for you adam.

1. i am looking to build up my ecotec motor before putting on the Hahn stage 2 kit my question is how is your car running with your JBP cams in are you noticeing any problems with it. would you suggest the stage 2 with boost over the stage 1 or is the stage 1 fine.

2. do you know the c/r of the JBP pistions that come in the race head package, do you think that package is to much for street use, i dont drive the car that often as it is i will most likely start after having the motor built up though.

Congrats on the turbo completion

Dave
A new breed of J will be unleashed in 06
Creating the E-RACER one mod at a time
Member of J-Factor
Member of Wisc's J's
1/4 mile 16.084 @ 84.90 (Stock Z) 01 SPDY Z24
Thursday, February 09, 2006 2:12 AM
Quote:

how is your car running with your JBP cams in are you noticeing any problems with it.

I had just gotten my car back tonight and it seems fine with the JBP stage 1s in.

Quote:

would you suggest the stage 2 with boost over the stage 1 or is the stage 1 fine.

No I wouldn't...contact Crane Cams for a set of F/I Camshafts they sell.

Quote:

do you know the c/r of the JBP pistions that come in the race head package,

I have no idea...contact JBP about that.

Quote:

do you think that package is to much for street use,

I went on JBP's site and can't find the head you're talking about. Can you link me?

Quote:

Congrats on the turbo completion

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search