2.4Ltwin cam/ quad 4 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4Ltwin cam/ quad 4
Tuesday, October 10, 2006 2:13 PM
just have one question to settle a debate with a know it all at my shop ,the quad 4 and the 2.4l twin cam are two different motors correct?i called the chevy dealership and they agreed but my genius co-worker says he has a gm tech that says the two motors are the same.Can anyone tell me the difference between the two?

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"

Re: 2.4Ltwin cam/ quad 4
Tuesday, October 10, 2006 2:17 PM
quad 4 refers t the design of the motor....the 2.3 quad 4 "iron duke" is just more commonly refered to as quad 4 however the 2.4 and 2.3 are different motors. Just both off the "quad 4" design

I may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
Tuesday, October 10, 2006 2:17 PM
yes they are different but some people do call them both quad 4. It is technically correct to call them both Quad 4's.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 2:21 PM
iron duke and quad 4 are different motors

quad 4 and the 2.4 TC are different blocks, heads, cams, etc...but most of the parts are interchangable with a little work.

a 2.4L in essence is a debored and stroked Quad 4 (with a crappy oil pump).
Tuesday, October 10, 2006 2:51 PM
one difference in the two is definatly reliability. the 2.4 has a pos oiling system and the 2.3 HIGH OUTPUT is known to blow headgaskets like their going out of style due to high stock compression. but the 2.4 by far will last longer due to better design and less brunt.
but both have their flaws for sure.

the 2.4 has around 150hp stock and the 2.3 HIGH OUTPUT has around 180hp stock, for the 30hp difference u sacrifice reliability.

most 2.3's HIGH OUTPUT's ive seen only last anywhere from 50,000 to 90,000 miles. now...if you take care of them they will last a bit longer. (i/e NEVER beat on them lol)

whereas ive seen more than one 2.4 twin cam last til 150,000+. one infact is still running strong and has 190,000. but the same goes for the 2.4 ive put 3 engines together for my 97 z24 with a 2.4 in it and the oddometer only reads 85,000 (because i always beat the CRAP out of it and the first engine saw alot of nitrous)

there are a few different 2.3 engines though, dont really know much about the others except for there's a LOW OUTPUT and a single cam version.

White 98'Z-alive n kickn
Black 97'Z-down for the count
Tuesday, October 10, 2006 4:49 PM
my gosh what a bunch of unnecessary info...your both right and your both wrong
the 2.4 is based on the 2.3 design but NOT the same engine...THEY DONT EVEN TAKE THE SAME OIL FILTER ...i cant really think of much off hand that will swap between the two without MODIFICATION...besides the idi cover and the mounts
GM changed the name of quad to twin cam for a reason....THEY HAVE TOO MANY DIFFERNCES TO BE THE SAME

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 5:13 PM
oh yeah.. i got a 2.4 goin on 151,000 miles... Still purrs like a kitten.. Thinkin about going the nitrous route with it.. see what happens LOL!

~Go Navy~ Accelerate your life... Right into the persian gulf!
Petty Officer Justin Hegenbart, USN

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 6:32 PM
...and just for the record my 1995 LO quad 4 (the bastard one everyone hates) took a beating from me racing it and it had 156;,000 miles on when i swaped it out and it was still running strong...too bad i had to sell it in parts to get anything out of it

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:05 PM
scott (section8cav) wrote:i cant really think of much off hand that will swap between the two without MODIFICATION...besides the idi cover and the mounts

secret cams require zero modification
Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:22 PM
sorry..most quad tuners dont think about the LO .. cus the HO ones wont work...but yea,theres 3 things

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:56 PM
The exhaust cam tower off a quad 4 doesn't need modification either to fit (although unnecessary unless you are running wider valve springs...such as the H.O. ones)

The intake cam tower doesn't need to be physically modified if you do another modification---rewire to a 95 J-body pcm

^^^ If done, then you could use H.O. cams without modification (although valve float would be a major issue with stock springs...as well as valve-piston clearance)
...sorry...I'm done

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 11:41 AM
I got a 2000 LD9 with 280,000 miles and still doing fine. Bought it with 202,000 miles in 2001 - commercial uses
Wednesday, October 11, 2006 12:29 PM
Joshua Dearman wrote:I got a 2000 LD9 with 280,000 miles and still doing fine. Bought it with 202,000 miles in 2001 - commercial uses

Wow

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 12:50 PM
Thats pretty much amazing. There should be a for fun thread on the most miles for each engine and maybe sub catagorize it into what set up you got, ie boost, NO2, excet.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 3:49 PM
Z YAAAA wrote:one difference in the two is definatly reliability. the 2.4 has a pos oiling system and the 2.3 HIGH OUTPUT is known to blow headgaskets like their going out of style due to high stock compression. but the 2.4 by far will last longer due to better design and less brunt.
but both have their flaws for sure.

the 2.4 has around 150hp stock and the 2.3 HIGH OUTPUT has around 180hp stock, for the 30hp difference u sacrifice reliability.

most 2.3's HIGH OUTPUT's ive seen only last anywhere from 50,000 to 90,000 miles. now...if you take care of them they will last a bit longer. (i/e NEVER beat on them lol)

whereas ive seen more than one 2.4 twin cam last til 150,000+. one infact is still running strong and has 190,000. but the same goes for the 2.4 ive put 3 engines together for my 97 z24 with a 2.4 in it and the oddometer only reads 85,000 (because i always beat the CRAP out of it and the first engine saw alot of nitrous)

there are a few different 2.3 engines though, dont really know much about the others except for there's a LOW OUTPUT and a single cam version.

I dont know about that statement, i've personally seen ALOT more 2.3L's with @!#$ bearings and cranks than i have 2.4L's around here at this time... they both have they're ups and downs but if i was going for an engine, i'd go for a 2.4L...

main weakness to a 2.4L in my books is the rods, i've had one engine go after lots of hp and abuse and it was because the "big" rod end ovalled (stock bottom end) i just make sure to check the oil lots and i usually keep it .5 over full. mind you i dont have to worry about this stuff as much anymore saying i've got a 2.3/2.4hybrid

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 4:48 PM
So many bad info I don't know where to start.

1- The 2.3 and 2.4 are 2 different engines. 2.3 = Olds, 2.4 = Gm. You'll tell me that Olds is Gm but at that time it was not like that. Gm took the olds desing and redesing an engine.

2- There was a ton of different 2.3's. SOHC, LO, HO, 95, W41. The SOHC was a real POS. I've seen heads cracked in two. For the others, most of the time it was the head/head gasket that was the problem. NOT BECAUSE OF ABUSE. It's because of stupid people that bough that engine and let it sit idling and letting the temperature go up. That was blowing the head gasket then people would let it overheat and crack the head.

3- Main problem with the 2.4 is the oil pump. Nothing else. That will make the engine fail. The waterpump can be considered normal wear. The rods are about just as strong as the 2.3 WHEN THE ENGINE IS WELL TUNED. Most of you don't take for effect the tuning of high powered 2.4's

4- I've seen alot more 2.4 sh** bearings than 2.3. It all depend on where you look. Most of the bearings problem have been cause by abuse.

5- I've raced my Ho, W41 and 2.4 and NEVER HAD BEARING PROBLEM. If you do stupid things it will let go.

6- the iron duke was BEFORE THE 2.3. It was a 2.5.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, October 12, 2006 7:28 AM
Mfk-223
i was wondering how long it would take for you to chime in !! 2.3 guru i must say

Thursday, October 12, 2006 7:32 AM
IF YOU GOT A QUESTION ABOUT A 2.3 ASK GILLES

Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:04 PM
So if the "quad IV" and the "Twin Cam" are different motors, is it safe to say that the timing would be different? Does anyone actually know the correct timing of the quad 4 and the twin cam?

H.O.N.D.A = Hold On Not Done Accelerating
Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:14 PM
some say the crank sensor angle is diffrent..... brian and i are making the 2.3\2.4 hybread motor so well see i guess.

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:18 PM
Witch timming? Cams? Crank? spark?

The crank timming is different, the spark timming is different also.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:32 PM
ya but the spark timing was just set by the Eprom
the only diffrence should be in the crank angle sensor position.......( i think )

and that the TC is PFI and has the cam angle sensor, but thats disabled at hight RPM, i think above 2500 rpm

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:44 PM
Mfk-223 wrote:Witch timming? Cams? Crank? spark?

The crank timming is different, the spark timming is different also.

I should've been more specific but when I asked for "timing", I meant all aspects, i.e. cam, crank, etc.
So does anyone know the differences between the two?

H.O.N.D.A = Hold On Not Done Accelerating
Thursday, October 19, 2006 6:27 PM
From my understanding the 2.4L is a quad 4. It was renamed in an attempt to try and get rid of the bad rap the quad 4 name brings. Think of it as how the ecotec family is, theres a bunch of motors under that name, just like theres a bunch of motors under the quad 4 name, and the LD9 is one of them.

Think of the 95 LD2 and the LD9, theres alot of things on both motors that are the same.

Click the banner to enter the best Quad4 & Twin Cam site on the internet.
Thursday, October 19, 2006 8:01 PM
urweak wrote:From my understanding the 2.4L is a quad 4. It was renamed in an attempt to try and get rid of the bad rap the quad 4 name brings. Think of it as how the ecotec family is, theres a bunch of motors under that name, just like theres a bunch of motors under the quad 4 name, and the LD9 is one of them.

Think of the 95 LD2 and the LD9, theres alot of things on both motors that are the same.

Bad rap???... Are you sure we are talking about the same quad 4's?

I have never heard of a 2.4L TC ran in any real sanctioned events. The Quad 4 is one of the popular choices for building and racing midgets. With the exception of the lesser stroke, it dominates the 2.4L in every aspect.... Which is why my motor has more quad 4 parts on/ in it than 2.4L TC.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search