Heated O2 Sensor in Modified Exhaust Write Up - Page 3 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Heated O2 Sensor in Modified Exhaust Write Up
Friday, June 01, 2007 7:58 PM
Leo L wrote:LD9 2.4L
AT

If i have a Modified Header and the 2.25 Modified Exhaust with the Cat, the engine have problems wih O2 ???

It might might not (good chance it will)

I have had cold start issues for years. This last weekend I did the heated O2 sensor. I have always used AC/Delco sensors, but went with the same sensor as DCstang. Wired it up the same way. It has worked great!!!! My exhaust set-up is 2.50 no cat and a straight through muffler. I have a removable resonator. With the resonator in everything is like stock. I can see on my air/fuel gaige the Os sensor starting to work after about 30 seconds. With the resonator out (more flowing in the exhaust) I get a 100-150 RPM hick-up during switch from open loop to closed loop. Car is running GREAT!!!! I did take a couple pictures of the wiring set-up if anyone needs them. I also think this sensor will hold up better. The factory O2 has a small tip and I have went though about 4 of them since having a header (about 1 a year). The new sensor has a fatter tip, which I think will hold up better. We will see.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 12:59 PM
what would be the best way to wire it, if you have the rear o2 deleted??
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:17 PM
kyze wrote:what would be the best way to wire it, if you have the rear o2 deleted??

Still the same way. You can tap the heater circuit on the engine side of the harness for the rear sensor.

FU Tuning

Saturday, June 30, 2007 11:17 AM
alright got it wired up...and now i threw a check engine light for slow response..what would cause this????
Sunday, July 01, 2007 3:35 PM
kyze wrote:alright got it wired up...and now i threw a check engine light for slow response..what would cause this????

I would say it is either not hooked up right, or sensor is bad.

FU Tuning

Friday, August 03, 2007 7:27 PM
A heated sensor is usually known as having 4 wires, correct? Now, I was looking at Haynes manual and it was saying that upstream & downstream O2 sensors on all models are heated.

Now I was reading this and had a question, the first 2 (Black & grey) are easy to do. But the brown ones, where do i tap? On the 2nd O2 sensor or on the car's harness?
I wish some one could post a pic because I'm not seeing how to do the conection with out screwing up.

Also I was looking at the NTK/NGK Ecotec sensor (makes for ACDelco), would that work?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, August 03, 2007 7:29 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:A heated sensor is usually known as having 4 wires, correct? Now, I was looking at Haynes manual and it was saying that upstream & downstream O2 sensors on all models are heated.

Now I was reading this and had a question, the first 2 (Black & grey) are easy to do. But the brown ones, where do i tap? On the 2nd O2 sensor or on the car's harness?
I wish some one could post a pic because I'm not seeing how to do the conection with out screwing up.

Also I was looking at the NTK/NGK Ecotec sensor (makes for ACDelco), would that work?

I'll see if I can get some pictures. I did the brown wires on the engine side of the 2 O2 sensor. I used those blue connectors.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 2:24 PM
John Higgins wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:A heated sensor is usually known as having 4 wires, correct? Now, I was looking at Haynes manual and it was saying that upstream & downstream O2 sensors on all models are heated.

I'll see if I can get some pictures. I did the brown wires on the engine side of the 2 O2 sensor. I used those blue connectors.

any pics?

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 12:05 PM
Sorry to bring back a topic thats over a month old...

But I was also wondering if any pics have been taken yet?
Also, towards the front of the car more, those 2 brown wires are actually brown and black. Can they be hooked up to the brown and black? or do I have to run the wires back to the rear of the engine to the 2 brown wires?

Thanks
Wednesday, January 02, 2008 4:47 PM

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 5:35 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:

Sorry, but everything was in a qoute. Not sure what all you were really asking.
I will try to take pictures tomorrow.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 7:01 PM

Here is how I wired mine up and can tell you that like John, it works great.
No more hiccups and the car goes into closed loop in about 30 seconds to less than a minute.

On the wiring, the black wire should go to the purple wire or actual O2 wire coming out of the harness.
Grey wire goes to a body ground or any good ground.
The two brown wires or in some cases the white wires, they'll go to the hot and ground of any switched 12volt source.
It makes no difference which of the white or brown wires goes to hot or ground. The way the circuit is designed, it makes no difference.

Instead of hooking up the white wire (or brown) to the rear O2 sensor for power, I just hooked it into a buss bar that is dedicated to key switched power that I installed under the dash. The other white wire (or brown), I installed to another buss bar dedicated to ground under the dash.
White or brown wire = 12volt + or positive.
White or brown wire = 12volt - or ground.
Grey wire = 12volt - or ground.
Black wire = O2 sensor wire to the harness

So the grey cable you see in the picture went into the cabin of the car (containing the two whites and grey wires) and the dark brown wire with the heat shrink on it went to the actual purple wire of the O2 sensor coming out of the harness.

I hope this explains it a bit.
Btw, this is a great mod and will be doing the same thing to the one wire O2 sensor on my daily driver, the Paseo.
Good luck.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, January 03, 2008 9:32 AM
Thanks.^^
John Higgins wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:

Sorry, but everything was in a qoute. Not sure what all you were really asking.
I will try to take pictures tomorrow.

Sorry, but the ones highlighted.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, January 03, 2008 10:46 AM
I was thinking of using the Ecotec heated O2 senosr as well. I had at one time the wiring for it. I do not see any reason for it not to work (if hooked up correctly).
I recently re-wired my heated O2 sensor. Main reason is because I have HPT and deleted the codes for the rear O2 sensor (it was bad anyways). I cut the end off (just the connector and a couple inches of wire). I then connected the 2 white heater wires to the 2 brown heater wires (on the connector I cut off). The gray and black wires are connected to the stock connector (for the front O2 sensor). I then pluged in the connector to the front O2 sensor, and then pluged in the rear connector (for the heater part). It works just like it should. I have 2 pictures I took of the connector for the heater wires. Hope this helps.

FU Tuning

Thursday, January 03, 2008 6:09 PM
All right I am reading these two and I am getting confused. i know i am making this out to be harder than it is.
Have patience with me on this.

1.Ok I've decided on the Ecotec Delco O2 sensor. Where do i cut and what do I use? I do have the original 2 wire from the manifold on my desk. Do I cut anything from that?

2.Would i need anything like these?

3. Do I tap the car's converter harness, or converter's sensor harness to attach the remainder two wires.

If possible can any one go in detail like in number sequence on how to go about this.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Saturday, January 26, 2008 12:17 PM
Any more info?

Saturday, January 26, 2008 3:25 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:All right I am reading these two and I am getting confused. i know i am making this out to be harder than it is.
Have patience with me on this.

1.Ok I've decided on the Ecotec Delco O2 sensor. Where do i cut and what do I use? I do have the original 2 wire from the manifold on my desk. Do I cut anything from that?

2.Would i need anything like these?

3. Do I tap the car's converter harness, or converter's sensor harness to attach the remainder two wires.

If possible can any one go in detail like in number sequence on how to go about this.

1. Yes you need to cut the factory (for your car) O2 sensor plug off (give yourself a couple inches of wire).
2. NO.
3. Really that is your choice. Some people do not want to splice on the sensor side because they do not want to mess the sensor up, others do not want to plice on the harness side because they do not want to mess that side up. Pick one and splice.
Does the Ecotec O2 sensor have the same color wires? I do not know for sure.

FU Tuning

Saturday, February 09, 2008 7:25 PM
I converted to the 4-wire primary 02 sensor. Overall I recommend it to any one who has a header and is running a one or two wire. Being a 4-2-1, my RKS header's 02 hole is way to low. And even though it collects readings for all 4 pipes, by the the time it reaches there, the air temp cools to much. I did it a little different, my car's harness are untouched, I am using a plug-n-play design in which I used a donner 04 Sunfire connectors. I am using a ACdelco Ecotec sensor #12568234 and since the second 02 is the original, I changed it with a different 02 Ac delco # 88929905 sensor which has a better tip design then the one that came from the factory and it is made for my J. I believe this sensor is for california emissions cars. Either way it works and at was half the price. Thanks guys for the tid bits.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Monday, February 11, 2008 5:07 PM
I'm glad you did it. This is a mod for any 2.4 with a header, or really good flowing exhaust. I do not think it is because the heat cools by the time it gets to the sensor, but the fact that headers are better flowing so the heat is moving faster and does not get as much time to heat the sensor.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 6:41 AM
bump from the dead, I am doing this today. I think I got it all figured out lol . I will let you know later...

Equipt with Replacement for Displacement components
Tuesday, May 06, 2008 1:28 AM
Well sorry to bring this back from the grave but I got a development. I did this mod about a year ago, and the other day after driving on and off at highways speeds for most of the day i go a CEL while cruising.
The codes are:
P1133 - Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0130 - Circuit Closed Loop (CL) Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1 Scan tool said: sensor circuit malfunction

I am guessing my wiring job failed, although quick visual inspection didn't reveal anything. I am going to pull it all off and re-do the connections. I really don't want to buy another sensor.

Anyone have any input, I haven't seen anyone get these codes before so I taught I would post up. I will update after my attempted fix sometime this week.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:43 AM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:Well sorry to bring this back from the grave but I got a development. I did this mod about a year ago, and the other day after driving on and off at highways speeds for most of the day i go a CEL while cruising.
The codes are:
P1133 - Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0130 - Circuit Closed Loop (CL) Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1 Scan tool said: sensor circuit malfunction

I am guessing my wiring job failed, although quick visual inspection didn't reveal anything. I am going to pull it all off and re-do the connections. I really don't want to buy another sensor.

Anyone have any input, I haven't seen anyone get these codes before so I taught I would post up. I will update after my attempted fix sometime this week.

Those are the codes we normally get to have us do this mod. This still does not mean you will never get those codes again. Sensor's do go bad. A good place to start is where you are planning the wiring, if that does not fix it then a new sensor.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 9:40 AM
If you didn't solder the connections, you're sure to have the wiring go bad.
Always solder the wires where possible to keep the connections good throughout the life of the car.
On the sensor, you don't specifically have to buy a brand new sensor.
Hit the junkyard and be cheap like me.
I'd gotten 4 of the heated O2 sensors from some Imports for free and am using one with no problems.
You can find plenty of these used in early to mid 2000 Japanese cars at the junkyard.
Anyway, it's just a suggestion if you do want to save a buck or two.
Oh and the unit I have in my car is sweet. Closed loop begins in as little as 20-30 seconds upon cold startup.
Best mod that most will never know about.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:26 AM
I was thinking the code people were getting, and the one I got to do this mod, was the slow respons code. I am going to soder the connections this time, I cut corners and did it fast last time. Kinda surprised it lasted this long. Dosn't look like I will be doing this today, hopefully tomorrow.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 11:02 AM
What O2 sensor did you use or are using?
If it's the Bosch, that could be causing your code.
Good luck with it.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search