Ecotec Cams - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec Cams
Saturday, August 04, 2007 7:30 PM
I was loking on JBodyperformance.com and they said that the stage 3 cams would work with the stock computer. Here I have read otherwise so who is right? Will a stage 3 cam set work with my car without throwing codes?

We Ride Together, We Die Together...... J-Bodies For Life!
SPONSORED BY: Showstopper Tuning, JM Graphics
2003 Cavalier LS Sport "SHOCKWAVE"

Re: Ecotec Cams
Saturday, August 04, 2007 11:47 PM
just bolt the computer down that way it cant be thrown.....

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Sunday, August 05, 2007 9:28 AM
I have the Stage 3 cams, my computer is still in stock location, so not sure if its been thrown? (yea i can be a smartass too) I use hp tuners and have no factory dash, so to say how many lights are on on my dash I dont know, but the car is fast, thats all

-Ben

Overall Best times
60' - 1.857 (6/24/07)-(Drag Radials 205-50-15)
330' - 5.552 (6/24/07)-(Drag Radials 205-50-15)
1/8 - 8.690 (7/22/07)-(Conquesrt Radials 195-70-14)
M.P.H. - 81.87 (7/22/07)-(Conquest Radials 195-79-14)
1000' - 11.274 (7/22/07)-(Conquest Radials 195-70-14)
1/4 - 13.442 (7/22/07)-(Conquest Radials 195-70-14)
M.P.H. - 104.08 (7/22/07)-(Conquest Radials 195-70-14)

** ALL MOTOR **
* 181whp @ 7600rpm *
Tuesday, August 07, 2007 3:06 AM
Ben, aren't yours Comp stage 3's? I'm not sure if the JBP cams are the same.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Tuesday, August 07, 2007 5:37 AM
I doubt it...

I know on the comp cams you can only use stage 1 or the turbo grind on the stock ECU.

Check them out @ www.TurboTechRacing.com

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Wednesday, August 08, 2007 4:09 PM
So whats the verdict then?? I would be interested in buying these..but the company just doesn't resond to email it seems?? Wouldn't there have to be some computer modifications if the car is gaining between 19-23 whp??
Sunday, June 29, 2008 5:54 PM
Comp Stage 3's or LevelZeromotorsports Triflow cams? Guys, just want to know which cam will give me the best power and if a small valve upgrade is recommended with bigger lobed cams. Do I need valve springs, and titanium retainers? If I tune with HP Tuners will I perhaps need bigger injectors? I have a lot of bolt ons at the moment.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:02 PM
Comp FTW

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, June 30, 2008 11:59 AM
no matter what cams you get you need to tune for them...even if they will "work" on the factory computer you will not likely realize much of a gain, you're better off investing in tuning software before buying cams - trust me I made that mistake long ago...Patriot stage II head and cams and all I got were lean spark plugs and no power

Monday, June 30, 2008 12:23 PM
If it doesn't throw a CEL, its not making enough power to warrant doing it.

Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Downpipe w/ Cutout | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Monday, June 30, 2008 12:25 PM
BlackEco wrote:If it doesn't throw a CEL, its not making enough power to warrant doing it.

Bingo lol

Monday, June 30, 2008 5:09 PM
now if you order the cams from levelzeromotorsports do you have to send in your stock cams or will they just send you a set of cams with the triflow grind? I know colt cams you have to send them the cams and then they grind them and send them back to you.

-- RK Sport Underdriven Crank, TTR Mounts, 4-1 Header,
Catback Exhaust, Reveco 62mm Throttle Body --
Monday, June 30, 2008 6:20 PM
Good question. So far, Comp Cams still win?

Monday, June 30, 2008 7:19 PM
actually if you're looking for power all over the tri-flow cams FTW.. but still.. do you send in the stock cams or do they send you all new cams..

Monday, June 30, 2008 7:26 PM
ohhh.. i think i realize what lzm does.. if you send in your cams its 499.. if you want them to provide the core it is an additional 100 making it 599.. i wonder if they will give you the 100 back if you send them your cores? I've sent them an email finding out more!

Monday, June 30, 2008 11:19 PM
I am running the Tri-Flow cams..I have been very happy with them..You will not or should not throw any codes with the cams..But I would Just get the HP tuning done to really get the full use out of the cams..The stock tuning Is just crappy..Also I upgraded to a set of the Cobalt ss injectors..I belive they are 380cc,I just did not wat to lean it out at the top end..But either way would still suggest the HP Tuning to be done..
Tuesday, July 01, 2008 6:02 AM
Did you have the HP Tuning done? Thanks for that reply.. it was very helpful!

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 6:33 AM
Yes I had the HP Tuning done..I had to because I also did the Balance Shaft Delete Kit.And Had put in the bigger injectors..After Seeing how bad the factory tuning was.I would recommend anyone out there even if you have done a few minor mods to have your car re-tuned..
Tuesday, July 01, 2008 6:52 AM
lol speaking of the balance shaft delete kit.. was this hard to find someone to do or is it kind of common for a garage to be able to do this? I'd think about having that done as well.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 10:00 AM
Well I live in Vancouver and had Claten from LZM,Install the cam and the Balance shaft delete for me..I had to do a motor swap because my old Eco at 170 thousand KM,one of the timing chain guide let go so Claten got me another motor and did the work for me because I did not have the time..But I did the swap after it was all done..It is great to have the throttle response is great..
Wednesday, July 02, 2008 1:05 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that lzm will provide you with cams as long as you add the additional core charge of 100 to the purchase of the cams. Once you get your cams you may return your old cams and receive a refund of 100 for the cams.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 1:45 PM
Turbo Tech Racing wrote:I doubt it...

I know on the comp cams you can only use stage 1 or the turbo grind on the stock ECU.

Check them out @ www.TurboTechRacing.com

what about the blower grind in a gm supercharger kit for the ecotec. will the reflash work with the blower cams?

Thursday, July 03, 2008 8:11 PM
It should work fine

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Friday, July 11, 2008 4:48 PM
I just bought a set of custom grind COLT CAMS. The specs are:
Intake: 265 degrees duration @ 0 lift
Exhaust: 262 degrees duration @ 0 lift
Lift: 0.394" on both cams
Power band: 4500-8000 rpm

Can anyone tell me if these are equivalent to lets say a Stage 3 cam spec? I believe this is an agressive street grind spec cam. Not sure what all these numbers mean and want to see if I have bought decent power adding cams, high rpm top end power cams

Saturday, July 12, 2008 4:43 AM
horsepower wise how much can you actually gain by a modest tune using the hp tuners kit on a n/a ecotec? maybe 10-12hp?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search