ecotec cam followers - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ecotec cam followers
Sunday, October 12, 2008 10:38 AM
I am building a full forged motor, turbo, shooting 350-450 hp

I noticed a difference in the cam followers from a 03 to an 04 one appears to be stamped one is cast....

Both appear to be the same ratio and what not.

Is one better than the other or just a difference in manufacturing process?

Would one be better suited to high RPMs than the other?

Thanks,

Oh and I know only a few will be able to answer my question as next to no one hear builds their own engine.

Re: ecotec cam followers
Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:41 PM

I build my own.

-Ben
Sunday, October 12, 2008 8:21 PM
i haven't heard of anyone having any issues with either.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 9:37 PM
Ben Wenzel Jr wrote:

I build my own.

-Ben

Useful info.

to the OP, I believe the design was changed to have a more positive grip on the lash adjuster. If you find yourself in a position where you have a choice, I'd go with the cast followers.

Monday, October 13, 2008 8:24 AM
Ben Wenzel Jr wrote:

I build my own.

-Ben

Care to elaborate?

Are the stock ones a potential problem?

Monday, October 13, 2008 12:57 PM
Yes im a smart ass

I think i use the LSJ followers, the ones that came with the GM performance head, they weigh a few oz more, that just tells me that they are more meater Thats what i ment to say

i feel the love

-Ben
Monday, October 13, 2008 3:28 PM
Mine are the stock followers not sure what year, I believe they are off my original 2002 cylinder head. Either way all of the uneven edges were grinded/sanded down until they were even to avoid any possible stress cracks. Todd told me some of the eco guys were having problems if those edges were left unaltered.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:01 PM
Y3llowCav gave me some advice and said I should use the followers from 08+ ecotecs to replace the ones in my 02. That's what I will be looking for. Not sure how much the JESEL followers are, but that's an overkill for me right now.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 9:27 AM
Can't find this part - GMPARTSDIRECT.COM is not able to provide results of the "camshaft follower" entry. Valve guides, lash adjusters, followers - don't really understand how this all works but reading up. Anyone know where I can find cam followers from an 08+ ecotec?

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 11:46 AM
They're followers. I'm almost positive no matter what you order them for you'll get the updated followers now. I know lash adjusters are that way. The dealer only caries the 3rd update.

PN looks like 12565203.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, July 28, 2015 2:18 PM
Thanks again man! I found the part. 13 bucks each!

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 7:20 PM
The later model ones are a bit stronger and have less side to side play on the wheel that rides along the cam lobe. I would use the later model ones for sure (the boxy bodied ones) i have herd some say that the earlier ones have a better chance at breaking or cracking with heavy duty valve springs and high RPM. if you want some picture comparisons send me a message and I'l share what i found.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 10:03 AM
I found a replacement part for the one listed above. See link below and tell me if this is what you are talking about. Will PM you soon. Thanks!

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Ecotec-Rocker-Arm-12565203-12656486-P17610.aspx

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 9:37 AM
ZZP yet to update their website to include the new part number: 12656486, still showing old part number: 12565203 (09/16/15). ZZP sells a set for $149 vs Crate at $275. Will need to verify with ZZP unless the website changes down the road.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 9:40 AM
Verification from GM that the part number did change to the new one listed on CRATE ENGINE DEPOT.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-arm-rkr-12565203.html

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 10:36 AM
Everything from CED will be up-to-date. Last I checked, ZZP was still selling the second revision of lash adjusters instead of the third revision. I'm guessing they were just burning up the old stock first; they also sent me 14 instead of 16 in a sealed bag

That being said, I'd definitely double check with them (good luck getting a timely call back) that the followers they're selling are the updated machined version.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, September 16, 2015 6:09 PM
It's funny because I emailed them and got a response a week later after re-sending the same email. I'm sorry when things need to be clear especially, when I spend my money. This is the response I got from Henry:

Me: ZZP, I see you have an upgradable rocker arm for the L61 ecotec motor (the stock rocker arm for an 08+ ecotec) part number GM 12565203.
GM has made 3 different variations of this rocker arm. I believe this is the 2nd GEN. I am looking for the better, 3rd GEN, GM part # 12656486.
Crate Engine Depot for example, doesn't ship the GM 12565203 since it has been replaced with the GM 12656486. Do you carry this part?
I need to upgrade my stock L61 rocker arm due to high lift cams and upgraded valvetrain.

Henry: Yes the ones we carry are the newest version

Me: Can you please then verify the information in the link below?
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Ecotec-Rocker-Arm-12565203-12656486-P17610.aspx

Henry: Yes it’s that same one

Me: Then your part number is incorrect? Please clarify... what is the actual part number you sell?

Henry: We just haven't updated the part number. I answered your same question multiple times and the answer remains the same. You do not have to buy them. If you buy them and you are not happy with your purchase simply return them for a full refund. It's a risk free purchase.

Of course I want to buy them you idiot, but why the hell will I go through the hassle of finding out they are 2nd GEN just because he cannot clearly in the beginning they are the same part number. It is the way he handled it that I am skeptical on whether it is 3rd GEN. What do you think? They are the cheapest around for a set of 16!

Friday, October 16, 2015 2:25 PM
ZZP still yet to update their site with the 3rd GEN followers. Crate Engine Depot is the only one showing the 2nd revision replaced by the 3rd revision.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search