How To: Ecotec Balance Shaft Delete - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How To: Ecotec Balance Shaft Delete
Monday, July 13, 2009 6:02 PM
Thank you very much for this. I'm going to be ordering my kit in the next couple months, and this will be helpful!

Monday, July 13, 2009 7:26 PM
nice pics and info, deserving of a sticky i think.

Monday, July 13, 2009 8:04 PM
You could do it on a stock motor..But you really would get no major gains..Most of us do this when you have added cams,SC,Turbo..Reving past the stock redline with stock everthing will gain you nothing..
Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:18 PM
I had the LZM bal shaft delete kit but ended up selling it and actually removed them. Nice writeup skunk

I didn't like the idea of the just using the front bearing. When Todd and I looked at it more it's not a roller bearing and we feared it might wear on the bottom edge only and eventually cause an issue. It might not, it was just something we feared when putting my engine together. My setup is a little different but as with anything there are almost always several different ways of doing things.

Shafts were removed, new bearings placed with the oiling holes covered for the rear of the shafts, shortened the guide chain and installed a different guide to guide the chain correctly. Not sure on the part number for the guide, it was something Roush used on their ecotec builds and coudln't find a part # on it. The oil holes in the front bearings were welded shut and installed. One had to be altered and welded tot he block to allow for adequate clearance for the chain.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 1:27 AM
year old bump, ok so im putting the engine back together now and ive looked everywhere for how he balance shafts are suppose to be timed and i cant find it anywhere. the place u would think has it, alldata doesnt have anything on the damn balance shaft timing just the cam timing. somebody here has got to know which marks face which way before the chain goes on. can somebody please help.

mike

i make neons go fast

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 6:21 AM
^^^ so your not deleting the balance shafts?

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 7:30 AM
blackbirdracing wrote:^^^ so your not deleting the balance shafts?

yea that was my first thought.....when we deleted the balance shafs out of my motor their was no "timing" other than for the cams themselves

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 11:45 AM
i did not delete the shafts therefore i need to time them, im guessing the exhaust balance shaft line (on the gear) goes down the intake balance shaft line (ont he gear) goes up and the crank gear dot goes at the 6 o clock position and if this is done properly then the lines on the chain should line up............anybody???

mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 07, 2010 1:10 PM

i make neons go fast

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 2:19 PM
I'm out... I got no balance shafts...

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 10:43 PM
allright so whenever u buy the balance shaft delete kit is it just taking off the balance shafts and putting in the kit or is it a little more involved than that
Thursday, September 09, 2010 5:37 AM
this entire write up tells you how to do it.

Did you read it?

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:49 PM
Thread Revival!
LZM is still making this kit and I'm going to get one from him
I want to know if anyone sucessfully installed this with the engine still in the car?

Buddy Club Ecotec Cavalier
* More to come *
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:01 PM
No dice...You gotta at the very least hoist the crank pulley up very high...it may clear then.
Saturday, August 15, 2015 8:16 AM
Hello, I'm just replacing my balance shaft sprockets, chain, guides, ect. My kit arrived yesterday.. No instructions. Question, when installing the new chain, what is the process to properly align the balancer shafts? I'm assuming that the crank shaft key will be at the 12'oclock mark for (Top Dead Center). And each balance shaft sprocket will point to an alignment mark. But my PDF service manual doesn't show the re-installation process.
Attachments
DSC_0351-picsay.JPG (1856k)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search