Ecotec timing chain tensioner failure - bad design causing catastrophic failure! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec timing chain tensioner failure - bad design causing catastrophic failure!
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:59 PM
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/219345/

The above link references a forum that discusses the ecotec timing belt tensioner and its failure causing no oil into engine therefore trashing the motor. Its an easy fix and costs $ 75 bucks. Chime in guys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:04 PM

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Re: Ecotec timing chain tensioner failure - bad design causing catastrophic failure!
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:06 PM
Re: Ecotec timing chain tensioner failure - bad design causing catastrophic failure!
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:40 PM
seen that a long time ago. went with the updated tensioner when i had my motor apart last year. internals are the same, just held together with that snap ring on the end.

14.04 @ 101 ALLMOTOR
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:25 PM
I saw this a long time ago too, we also have a timing chain, and the oil pump works off the crank not the timing chains.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:33 PM
Is this as easy as sliding the old one out, oiling the new one and sliding it in? Or does anything else need to be done?

Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:52 AM
its just as easy and remove & replace.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:52 AM
i just did mine right before 110,000 it went bad but luckily the chain did not break, i went ahead and installed a whole new chain and gears to be on the safe side because at the time we did not know what caused the failure,

to get the tensinoer to set you have to install it locked and then tap sharply with a long extention against the chain forcing the chain to hit the tensioner to get it to spring into place so it is putting tension on the chain, you have to have the valve cover off for this so its a little more complicated than just replacing it, plus the new kit i got has a larger redesigned hole in the oil nozzle that supplies oil to the timing chain area, so may want to see if you can track that down as a seperate part as well
Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:17 AM
ya i did mine when i built the motor and took a few minutes to realize there was a improved design. also i have a extra tens if anyone needs it for a cheap price.

jason

Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:33 AM
So take the old one out and put the new one in or like the other guy says with all the other steps?
I'd like to do this as preventative maintenance

Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:40 AM
Same here since I posted this lol! I thought it was "plug and play" so to speak. Can you elaborate on the steps needed please? My girlfriend has a 2002 ls sport ecotec too. We bought our cars together almost 9 years ago. Her's has 125 K and stock auto, mine.. less than half those miles and much faster lol. So I will practice with hers first since she needs it replaced more than I do. Any steps would be great. Thanks.

Jason, what condition is your extra tensioner and how much do you want for it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:43 AM

Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:16 AM
the tensioner comes with instructions at least my timing chain kit did, it is very different looking from the old tensioner. it should come in a locked position so that when you press on the end it is all the way seated and it does not provide any tension on the chain,

i guess it has different stages of tension for the chain as it becomes looser and looser the tensioner provides more and more force on the chain, but it needs the chain to provide force back on the tensioner otherwise the tensioner will let all the way out im guessing that would put too much tension on the chain not 100% sure how it works.

anyways... once i had all the timing gears and chain in place, the tensioner is the last thing you install before putting the covers back on the engine, just screw it in from the back of the engine making sure it is still in its locked position, (itf it becomes unloked and there is spring tensionon the tip you have to push it in and twist it to get it to lock back in place) and torque it to the specified torque spec i believe its around 65 ft lbs or so but dont quote me on that at all....

from that point you can look down into the timing area from where the valve cover is off and see the tensioner behind the chain (it would be good to note how much play is in the chain because its kind of hard to tell 100% that the tensioner has released after you hit it but it the chain tightens up then you have done it)...

then you are supposed to take a long extention with a hard rubber piece (we didnt have any rubber so just used metal against metal the chain is fine) and press it against the chain so the chain presses against the tensioner and give it a sharp tap horizontally, this force should release the tensioner providing tension on the chain,( make sure the tensioner is already torqued to spec before you do this...) it took us a few hits before we got the tensioner to realease, but you should notice a differenct in the tightness of the chain after it releases,

it really helps to have a shop light to see down in there.

you shouldnt need to take the timing cover off for this just the valve cover and the tensioner, just be very careful to not drop anything down in the timing area, or you will end up taking the timing cover off...

i should have taken pictures but too late for that now.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:18 PM
PLUG N PLAY ON THE NEW UNITS!!!!

I'VE DONE IT A BILLION TIMES!!!

THESE OTHER GUYS ARE ON CRACK!!!

Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:47 PM
dont know what to tell you but the design i had required it to be tapped to come un locked and that requires the valve cover to be off, maybe there are 2 different new units, but mine definately was different than the old one, i guess whatever kind you get make sure its the plug and play kind, it sounds easier
Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:50 PM
i just followed the link, mine looked exactly like the new one on the right and it came in a locked position, maybe you can unlock it before putting it in the car? but the instructions said not to...
Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:53 PM
new units dont have to be tapped to unspring.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:23 PM
New units as in the link I posted... One on the right?

Friday, April 15, 2011 7:05 AM
on the link posted he says to fill it with oil and that you dont have to tap it, i didnt fill mine with oil and i did tap it and everything works fine, i guess you can do it either way im just telling what i did and it worked...
Saturday, April 16, 2011 6:56 AM
New one on the right...

I didnt fill with oil I didnt tap it.

Just telling you what worked.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:34 AM
^^^ u DO have to tap it. if u dont (both newt and i didnt at first) it still works, but not 100%

i had the motor apart again and had to remove and reset the new tensioner when my valve spring let go. this time i tapped it with a long screwdriver and it sets just like the old style.

long story short, dont take a chance. u may end up being the one person whos sorry they didnt do it right lol.

14.04 @ 101 ALLMOTOR
Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:20 PM
I might wait a little bit to do this then, had the valve cover off quite a bit and the bolts are getting brittle, and at 8 bucks a pop they are expensive to replace. Good to know what to do though!

Sunday, April 17, 2011 8:55 AM
its good to hear some else say you DO have to tap it, why would they design it to unsrping when tapped, but then not require that for installation? doesnt make sense

Sunday, April 17, 2011 3:28 PM
Does anyone have pics of install? I've had my valve cover off twice to paint it, but never touched anything underneath it myself...
but would love to consider doing this as preventive maintenance

Buddy Club Ecotec Cavalier
* More to come *
Sunday, April 17, 2011 4:20 PM
Will Paulman wrote:its good to hear some else say you DO have to tap it, why would they design it to unsrping when tapped, but then not require that for installation? doesnt make sense

mostly because the new one doesnt "unspring" its oil pressure powered.

Monday, April 18, 2011 7:21 AM
blackbirdracing wrote:
Will Paulman wrote:its good to hear some else say you DO have to tap it, why would they design it to unsrping when tapped, but then not require that for installation? doesnt make sense

mostly because the new one doesnt "unspring" its oil pressure powered.

false... i tapped mine before i even put it into the car and it unsprung, then i had to put it in a vice to get it to lock back into position becuase the spring pressure was so strong i actually did this twice, there is 100% for sure a spring in there that pushes the pin outwards
Monday, April 18, 2011 7:28 AM
i will not say that oil pressure does not play a part in providing tension to the chain bucause it may, but the new style tensioner was locked into place when i unboxed it and it has a spring inside and it must be tapped to release, otherwise the inner pin is locked into position and will not move in and out at all.... unless when you start the engine the oil pressure releases the pin to move freely also a possibility... but until i find directions for installation that say it works that way, which i have not , i wouldnt risk it,
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search