Ecotec timing chain tensioner failure - bad design causing catastrophic failure! - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Ecotec timing chain tensioner failure - bad design causing catastrophic failure!
Monday, April 18, 2011 4:14 PM
blackbirdracing wrote:
Will Paulman wrote:its good to hear some else say you DO have to tap it, why would they design it to unsrping when tapped, but then not require that for installation? doesnt make sense

mostly because the new one doesnt "unspring" its oil pressure powered.

very much a false statement.

had mine apart 2x now, only difference between new and old design is the fact that the "guts" are held together with that c-clip on the end. remove that to reset it and u will see the same spring/ramp setup as the old one. ill have mine apart again when i do my build in 2-3 weeks, ill get detailed pics with direct comparisons.

14.04 @ 101 ALLMOTOR

Re: Ecotec timing chain tensioner failure - bad design causing catastrophic failure!
Monday, April 18, 2011 4:27 PM
I ordered mine today we will see how easy it is.

see ya!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:43 PM
heres a pic, hardest part is the spring clip, after that just press and twist in the inside part with a screwdriver and reassemble

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:20 PM
Well I dont know what to tell you...

By the looks of that Picture right there...

I'm was DEAD WRONG.

Glad I got lucky...

Carry on everyone. I'm sorry.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:39 PM
I'm betting that yours was already triggered when you put it in, mine was right out of the box.

Monday, May 09, 2011 9:15 AM
where can i order this part from ? is a item that most local parts store carry on hand ?
Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:55 AM
just the tensioner will most likely be a dealer thing, it is avail in timing sets from most auto stores, and whether they have it on the shelf will change from store to store so call around.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:33 AM
rockauto.com lists the tensioner separate.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:54 PM
Crate engineering depot. Check beg of this thread for link. I believe it is the "new" replacement.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:46 PM
blackbirdracing wrote:Well I dont know what to tell you...

By the looks of that Picture right there...

I'm was DEAD WRONG.

Glad I got lucky...

Carry on everyone. I'm sorry.

all good dude me and my buddy made the SAME mistake when we first changed over to em. damn near @!#$ myself when i realized i had to reset it the next time i had it apart LOL. got super lucky!

14.04 @ 101 ALLMOTOR
Saturday, May 14, 2011 7:41 PM
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote:http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/Ecotec-Timing-Chain-Tensioner-12608580-P2216C133.aspx

$39 bucks here.

Just making sure, is this the new design one?

ECOtec DOHC

Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:55 AM
Bringing this back from the dead......

I have the new tensioner to replace mine thats in my 03.

Currently the tip is hard to press in from the spring pressure, ive had it apart and its exactly like pictured above.

Most say to just screw it in when its released but as always there is conflict in methods.

So am i suposed to set it or since its already sprung out its fine and I can screw it in?
Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:01 AM
I just installed a new design one from CED on my 07 Cobalt with the 2.2. Took the old one out, well rather it blew out and parts came flying with it, put the new one in, torqued to spec (55 ft. lbs), and just started the car up.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:40 AM
Was it hard to keep the pieces from shooting into the motor??

Was it sprung out so that you can press the plunger in against the spring pressure?
Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:02 AM
I just took it out slower than all hell to be careful...
Mine was in the locked position from CED, just slapped it in and started it, no more timing chain rattle.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:42 AM
I set mine first, reassembled it, and put it in, then released it once in place. The reason I did was so I knew the groove was in the right place on the chain before I turned it over.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 12:17 PM
^^How did you set yours?
Sunday, February 19, 2012 2:48 PM
I just used spring clip pliers (they have round ends) to remove the clip. then everything sets just like the old one. hold it tight, us a flat head screwdriver that will fit in the end of the little piston. then just push and twist it until it locks at the shortest setting, it doesn't require an insane amount of force. reassemble it using a little oil on your finger to lube it up (like you do on the gasket on a oil filter) and your good to go. once its in the block you release it the same way as the old style.

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 10:52 AM
Since I posted this over 4 years ago, I still haven't done the PM myself LOL. My car only has 68,000 miles but who knows when this tensioner will blow out (reason for the post in the first place). Which tensioner is the best one to buy these days? Crate Engineering Depot, ZZP performance, Rock Auto etc.

Can anyone give a brief installation guide? Is it really plug and play or is there more to it?

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 11:36 AM
If it's just the tensioner then it's easy as can be. Look an few posts up, I walked you right through it.

Tuesday, June 09, 2015 11:45 AM
Get the one from crate engine depot and know that it's correct.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Ugh
Sunday, June 14, 2015 3:13 AM
Is this a for sure fix to the issues these cars have? I'm looking at picking up a really nice j with a 2.2 ecotec in it with plans to SC it but I'm not sure I want to get into it if I'm going to have to worry about a damn timing chain.
Re: Ugh
Sunday, June 14, 2015 5:03 AM
Yes it takes care of this issue. If I was to ever buy another J...Id grab a new timing set from Crate engine depot and put that in for piece of mind.
Tuesday, June 16, 2015 8:45 AM
That's what I will do - crate timing chain tensioner then - I read the PDF on the instructions - pretty accurate?

Thursday, September 24, 2015 9:42 AM
Instead of buying the new updated timing chain tensioner, I figured I'd buy the whole kit. The link below says that the tensioner is the updated one.

When trying to compare with the crateenginedepot.com reference picture (http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Ecotec-Timing-Chain-Tensioner-12608580-P10722.aspx) I can't tell if it is the same as the next link below as this link is what I plan to purchase.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-2-0L-2-2L-Ecotec-Timing-Chain-Kit-w-UPGRADED-TENSIONER-Z22SE-L61-L42-LSJ-LNF-/141357622460?hash=item20e99224bc&vxp=mtr

The top of the tensioner (head) is what I want to make sure is the same.

Anyone please verify this?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search