Ecotec NA L61 180 - 190 WHP. Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator Needed? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec NA L61 180 - 190 WHP. Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator Needed?
Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:01 AM
Hey,
I hit 174 Whp on stock injectors. I had more to go but was limited to injector duty cycle load. I have new LSJ injectors to tune with. I also just replaced header and exhaust up to 2.5 inch. I am getting retuned next weekend and want to buy an afpr if required. I have already contacted CBM Motorsports who agreed to do all the work needed to place one on my fuel rail. They can have it back to me by end of next week. Gauge, fittings, fuel rail adaptor and braided fuel lines etc. I just bolt it on.

If my stock Fpr is good enough for the Whp listed, than I am in no hurry for this mod before I retune. What do you guys think?

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Re: Ecotec NA L61 180 - 190 WHP. Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator Needed?
Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:10 AM
Being n/a a AFPR is not needed. Stock will do just fine.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:53 AM
needed? no. want to really fine tune? then sure, go for it.

if you havent added urself to the whp thread please do so.. its in the racing forum.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:14 AM
Quote:

want to really fine tune?

Brad please explain?

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:30 AM
find the perfect pressure the engine likes? better atomization = horsepower.

fine tune it to the injector specs?

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:03 PM
Okay, now I want to get one before next Sat lol... Once I get my dyno number Sat, I will post up a graph and my whp in the thread.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:15 PM
for a car that needs to squeeze every last ounce of power such as an n/a car an adjustable regulator is a decent part but dont expect to see massive gains. think of it more like a tool. a tool that can HELP you fine and i mean FINE tweak ur set-up.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:35 PM
I understand, and I do want to squeeze all I can. If you see the ECOTEC FPR thread, I need to locate the adapter to fit a AFPR onto.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:38 PM
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote:I understand, and I do want to squeeze all I can. If you see the ECOTEC FPR thread, I need to locate the adapter to fit a AFPR onto.

Adapter?

They make a AFPR that bolts on like stock. I even seen one for sale on here recently.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:42 PM
Seriously?? I thought my 02 fuel rail needed an adapter? I'm confused now.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:59 PM
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote:Seriously?? I thought my 02 fuel rail needed an adapter? I'm confused now.

I was not looking at you having a 02, I think your right. Might be better to go to a 03 rail.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:48 PM
Holley bolt on setup for 02 fuel rail? Really don't want to get an 03 fuel rail

Monday, September 19, 2011 11:40 PM
Stock injectors are pretty nearly maxxed at factory power levels. So you need to do SOMETHING to increase your fueling to make significantly more power than stock anyway. An AFPR is a start but I'm not sure how far it will get you. Should be able to get the next size up injectors for relatively cheap as well.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:05 PM

Okay... Just spoke with Bill Hahn, Jr. Luckily, Hahn Racecraft is only 100 miles away from me. I just ordered the billet adapter for my 02 fuel rail. That arrives tomorrow. Not cheap, $65! I have also asked Bill to piece together a full AFPR kit, so I can just bolt it on my fuel rail when it arrives. I am waiting on his quote. One day shipping means, that If I order the FPR, fittings etc from Bill, I should have it all here by Friday.

I am getting re-tuned Sat, Sept 24th. I plan to have the AFPR installed so the tuner can fine tune my new LSJ injectors. I'll keep you guys posted!

Saturday, November 21, 2015 12:12 PM
Forgot to update this and now I need more help.. John H. chime in.

To hit 180WHP wasn't enough to warrant the use of the AFPR! That's what the shop told me.

I have a built head project in the works and other mods to free up HP (flywheel, shaft delete etc) so, I will have some more WHP. I have 36LB injectors fyi. At what point will it be time to increase the fuel pressureI? I thought too increase the PSI or the next project while tuning which allows for a better injector spray pattern (atomized),to have better combustion. If 50PSI or stock fuel pressure is sufficient for 250WHP, no prob. But, can I still increase the fuel pressure at lower HP numbers, tune at that PSI (ex. 55) and still get it some benefit from it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, November 21, 2015 12:18 PM

Saturday, November 21, 2015 4:07 PM
I do not think you need a AFPR for your setup at this point. You could go boost and not need one, but having one when boosted gives you options. Options you do not need N/A.

FU Tuning

Sunday, November 22, 2015 2:16 PM
Gotcha. When I need it, I'll have it already so I guess that works, however really wanted to increase that PSI lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search