Project V8 Z24 - Update - Page 5 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:49 AM
Mikey G wrote:

The wheels indicated in the video and previous photos are the ones I will be using. They are 18" from a Nissan Maxima.

That's right . . . I forgot you had mentioned that already . . man that thing is coming along nice. Just watching the start up vid again, and now with that fresh paint on there . .

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:54 AM

i @!#$ love this car.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:53 AM
Thanks

You guys are all so supportive. I enjoy being here. It is unfortuntate we live far apart. It would be so cool to do a show and shine somewhere where we could all pow wow together and enjoy a burger and beer together. Oh yes, eye candy too.

Friday, August 16, 2013 11:59 AM
Mother of god...
talk about a sleeper cavalier (until its fired up haha)...

This is going to be one sick jbody..or whatever the hell you want to call it when its done. I can imagine you've got a premiere membership at a local liquor store while completeing this build lol

I would love to see this beast in person..its got to be a blast to drive!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, August 16, 2013 1:53 PM
This is great progress Mikey G. It's actually making my day better when I see your updates!

On to the pics . . .

Friday, August 16, 2013 3:21 PM
Thats an awesome color. Its so great to see this thing coming together.

Friday, August 16, 2013 5:09 PM
is that a lightweight, race hood prop?

Friday, August 16, 2013 5:25 PM
Super light weight hood prop. If you take a closer look, it's adjustable too. depending on how "tall" I'm feeling.

Friday, August 16, 2013 8:29 PM
i want this car.

NEED

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, August 16, 2013 11:25 PM

Friday, August 16, 2013 8:34 PM
holy sexy car!

Friday, August 16, 2013 9:07 PM
why broom handle hood prop? because racecar!!

Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:38 AM
Quote:

why broom handle hood prop? because racecar!

Oh, you were serious? , sorry man. No, not a race car. It may see the track once in a blue moon, but it is intended as a summer daily driver. Just got out of the paint shop. The prop original prop rod will be installed when I get to finish assembling the car. I have a back burner project to modify the hood to a front-tilt (like a Vette).

Thanks for the compliments Guys.

BTW, does anyone have a link as to where I can get those plastic clips that snap in the rockers to support the side skirts? The original ones were pretty dry and most of them didn't survive the removal.

MikeyG

Saturday, August 17, 2013 8:07 AM
He's not serious . . . "because racecar" is a saying that came from an internet ad from some guy selling his car and in the description he had something listed followed by "because racecar" . . . and from there it is pretty much used on the interwebs as an answer for every modification to any car for any reason!

Or something like that anyways . . . correct me if I'm wrong.

You know, once she's put together and running, that car is going to need some "break-in" time down here on PCH . . . don't worry, I'd be more than happy to volunteer my time and help out any way I can. Just plan on leaving it with me for 2-10 years or so and I'll cruise it up and down this route a few thousand times:

(when Jay Leno pulls up next to me I will ask if he wants to race!)

Saturday, August 17, 2013 10:22 AM
WOW
WOULD BE A COOL DRIVE !!*THUMBS UP *

Saturday, August 17, 2013 7:19 PM
Managed to get some more work done to the Cavy today

Saturday, August 17, 2013 8:42 PM
Absafreakinlutely fantastic . . looks like it came from the factory that way!

Saturday, August 17, 2013 9:08 PM
Thanks Tony

Saturday, August 17, 2013 10:37 PM
This build thread is giving me too many ideas.... Roughly how much fabrication did you have to do in converting everything over? My cav is one of the last things i have to remember my grandfather, would love to make it into something special like this. Amazing paint as well, perfect color for something like this!
Sunday, August 18, 2013 7:15 AM
Not gona lie, there is a boatload of modifications. Most of them were related to the firewall and tunnel cutting and reshaping. In order to keep from getting nose heavy, I moved the engine as far back as I could. Things you don't see like the pedals and master(s) placement.
If i was to keep track of my hours, including internet research, It wouldn't be a hobby. However, for the work related to the V8 & RWD, I would have to put a rough # of hours at 240.
I would be more than happy to assist anyone with information if they decide to embark on such a project. - after I've road tested it.
Cheers

Sunday, August 18, 2013 7:43 AM
Wow man, that is great. I wish I had the time/tools/talent to embark on a project like that. You sir, are a few notches above me. I hope it's everything you expect on the road.

Sunday, August 18, 2013 11:14 AM
Mikey G wrote:

The wheels indicated in the video and previous photos are the ones I will be using. They are 18" from a Nissan Maxima. There were free. Free is just fine for now. The wheels fit just the way I want them to. My ultimate choice (that would fit), would be 18" Impala SS.

More picks to come when it is out in the sun...

Are these the ones you are talking about:

That'd be sweet!

Sunday, August 18, 2013 11:39 AM
Mikey G wrote:
BTW, does anyone have a link as to where I can get those plastic clips that snap in the rockers to support the side skirts? The original ones were pretty dry and most of them didn't survive the removal.
MikeyG

I'm not 100% sure this is the correct part number, but maybe somebody can chime in and confirm:

22658182 - RETAINER

Sunday, August 18, 2013 4:13 PM
Thanks for the compliment Sparkey05, glad you like it.

Yes Tony, those are the rims. I never looked top see what the width are on them. From the photo you've shown, they look a bit narrow. The Nissan rims I have now are 8.5" wide. and work pretty good. You know someone who has them?

Yes that is the most recent GM PN for those clips. I will stop at my local GM dealer and check it out. - Thanks Man

Did a bit more work on the Cavy today. got the door rubbers cleaned and mounted. Cleaned and mounted the sunroof . Lots & lots of cleaning. Made a list of a bunch of screws, bolts and plastic clips.

More pics soon.

Cheers

Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:00 PM
wow. i love how you retained the stock wipers and cowl etc. every other v8 rwd converted j-body ive seen always does away with that entire area. how low is your oil pan? lol

Monday, August 19, 2013 4:28 AM
As it sat with no interior, sunroof and glass, the belly of the K-member cleared the ground by 3-1/2". The oil pan and bellhousing are a 1/2" higher - so 4". The K-member was also designed robust enough to serve as a skid plate. I expect the ground clearance to decrease a little bit when the car is complete with me and possibly a passenger in it - whoever is brave enough to get in.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search