1.4L Cruze Ecotec in a J-Body? - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 1.4L Cruze Ecotec in a J-Body?
Thursday, January 09, 2014 7:59 AM
We need more people on here trying "different" stuff. Engine swaps will help big.

Just swap "everything" over and make new mounts.

GMR has got nothing on this

Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:12 PM
If its port fuel injection, why don't you just megasquirt it, fab up mounts and powersteering brackets and go?
Any benefit from the MPG probably isn't in the computer so much as it is in the tuning and engine hardware (ie the small size of the engine and the turbo etc) you could tune the MS to do the same things that the factory PCM did and not have to worry about whether the engine has all of the necessary electrical hoops to jump through from the cruze. I think it would be an interesting swap (I always wanted to put an ecotec LNF into an IROC just because - well and to whoop ass in the chumpcar series!) but will the weight of the jbody hurt that mpg badly?
The tach in the cavy would be an easy fix, just need a 7x reluctor wheel tack welded to the crank pulley and mount the VR sensor and its wiring to read it - viola! The cavy's PCM will read engine rpm as though the factory 2.2 was still there.
You could do the speedo signal the same way but you would need a larger disc mounted to the half shaft and a sensor mount (think like an ABS setup from the factory). Coolant temp and fuel gauge would be easy or a non-issue.
Now if you want the 1.4T to use the factory CEL and OBD2 ports then you have a whole mother of a task set out for you!

2.2 L Ecotec, P&P Head, Stage 3 Comp Cams, Supertech 76 lb Spring kit, Supertech Oversized Valves, Wiseco 8.9:1 CR Pistons, Eagle H-Beam Rods, Home-Built Turbo Kit T3/T4 57 Trim Intercooled, 78 lb/hr Racetronix Hi-Z injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Racetronix f body fuel pump,MEGASQUIRT MS3 + MS3X Finally street tuned on 21 lbs! Now if only I could get it to hook....
Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:12 PM
I work at a dealer and all the cruze stuff would be a pain to swap into a cavi it's a global car which means gds2 not a tech 2 to scan for codes and there so many other modules on the car that are needed just to tell the engine when it's allowed to run u would need an entire donner car and strip every module and harness just to make it work right with the least hassle
Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:16 PM
just read through a little better sorry guys seems like u know the deal a royal pain it would be lol
Friday, January 17, 2014 7:27 AM
If someone wanted to do this with factory parts only, you could also look at the Sonic for parts.

Personally, if I were going to tackle something like this, I'd go with the MS3x and be done.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:38 PM
this thread is still going
WHY

cobalt turbo motors would be an easier swap then the cruze would even easlier a saab turbo setup on a eco for a j body

NOT WORTH THE HEADACHES AND MONEY SERIOUSLY
some might think its cool but otheres will be like you put that much work into a smaller engine thats turbo'd that puts out the same power that your stock motor has to get 2 MPG GOOD GOD

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, January 27, 2014 6:19 AM
I think it's funny how many people around here get annoyed at out-of-the-box thinking for mods.

Monday, February 24, 2014 5:34 PM
i like out of the box thinking but i'm a realist and realistically this swap is stupid its up there with a 3800 NA swap if your doin all that work for an NA just buy a different motor and have more fun

same with the cruze

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:13 AM
I have a Cruze (or well, she does) and the milage is VERY similar to my cavalier. On the highway if it isn't 15*F out it gets 40, but average so far has been 32. I can get that in my cav if I drive like I do in the cruze (slow!).

The advantage would be the 500+ pound weight difference. The disadvantage is all the good aweful wiring.

Sunday, April 13, 2014 8:56 PM
Hmm so we should be stuffing an LJS into a cruise eh?

2.2 L Ecotec, P&P Head, Stage 3 Comp Cams, Supertech 76 lb Spring kit, Supertech Oversized Valves, Wiseco 8.9:1 CR Pistons, Eagle H-Beam Rods, Home-Built Turbo Kit T3/T4 57 Trim Intercooled, 78 lb/hr Racetronix Hi-Z injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Racetronix f body fuel pump,MEGASQUIRT MS3 + MS3X Finally street tuned on 21 lbs! Now if only I could get it to hook....
Sunday, April 13, 2014 8:57 PM
Hmm so we should be stuffing an LSJ into a cruise eh?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search