Thicker Core Radiator - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thicker Core Radiator
Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:35 AM
Has anyone found another GM radiator to swap into a '96 Sunfire that is thicker ? Mine is a .625" core. I want to go to a 2" core but change the width from 31.5" to 27.5". Any ideas other than buying an aftermarket ?

Re: Thicker Core Radiator
Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:55 PM
Sunfire SSR wrote:Has anyone found another GM radiator to swap into a '96 Sunfire that is thicker ? Mine is a .625" core. I want to go to a 2" core but change the width from 31.5" to 27.5". Any ideas other than buying an aftermarket ?
If you do find one. I'd be interested! Love to have a thicker radiator.
Saturday, September 14, 2013 5:49 PM
At one time griffin made one for our cars. It was about $450.

There has been other members that just get a universal one and they work just fine.

Why is it you want a different rad? The stock one does the job for anything most will throw at it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, September 14, 2013 5:50 PM
Sunday, September 22, 2013 5:20 AM
I'm running a 3800SC with a 3.4 SC pulley. (2) things that happen.

Anytime above 3500 RPM, the lower Inlet hose starts calapsing, restricting the flow to the engine.
During most of the year, it runs above 185 deg's where it goes into over-heat mode (even though it isn't over-heating). Timing pulls back and both fans run. A PCM mod would fix this part, but it won't fix the other.

Griffin has a 27.5" x 15.5" X 3" radiator for under $200.00. This shorter width will also allow me to add a 4" cold air pull from the front of the car, and force some air flow at highway speeds.
Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:11 AM
Is it a new hose? In my experience when they collapse they are shot. But im sure you've tried a new hose.
Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:16 PM
I know the z24 radiators are larger then base models with the same engine. They are dual core. I also know the 5 speeds are larger then the auto. My z24 has a 2.5 core. Not sure exactly how they are measured but I have all 3 radiators for the same engine 2.4 ld9. One is really thing one is in the middle and one is a lot larger, and they all fit in the same mounts.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:23 PM
all jbody radiators are the same, other than the auto ones having the tranny cooling built into them.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:29 PM
That's doesnt make sense. I have 3 different ones. I had them side by side. I got one when mine broke from autozone and it says it was for 95-02 and it was half the thickness of my factory one. This was also an auto radiator since it was impossible to find a manual radiator. Then I went to the junkyard and found a manual radiator from an 02 and it was even bigger then my factor one.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:34 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&t=466885&a=1

If you look at nota24 they state jbodys had single a dual core.

Monday, October 07, 2013 3:18 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:all jbody radiators are the same, other than the auto ones having the tranny cooling built into them.

Incorrect, they are not all the same. I have 2 that are different thickness's.

Monday, October 07, 2013 8:04 PM
So far I have found nothing that supports a thicker core radiator for any 3 Gen Jbody regardless of motor from 1997-2003.

I did find 2003 to be 15 5/16 tall over 15inches of the previous years.

correction looks like 2002 started the slightly taller radiator core.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, October 07, 2013 8:06 PM

FU Tuning

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:40 AM
CLICK ME Summit Racing carries a 1" thick core rad from Spectra, which is .5" larger than my stock core. I realize that's not a factory part, but it at least exists.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search